granola recipe....not bars

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

granola recipe....not bars

Postby mountain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:41 am

I am looking for a simple granola recipe---minus nuts---for our icecreams (soft banana/sweet poatoto/mango is the best :D ).
We put a tiny bit of Amaretto plus some granola on top and it is oh sooo good. But granola is expensive and I can't really find out what is in it, so I would like to make my own. I found lots of recipes for granola bars, but not the lose granola I want.
Any help?
mountain

Re: granola recipe....not bars

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:16 am

Other than nuts, granola is mostly rolled oats. What about roasting some rolled oats in the oven?
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:31 am

mountain wrote:I am looking for a simple granola recipe---minus nuts---for our icecreams (soft banana/sweet poatoto/mango is the best :D ).
We put a tiny bit of Amaretto plus some granola on top and it is oh sooo good. But granola is expensive and I can't really find out what is in it, so I would like to make my own. I found lots of recipes for granola bars, but not the lose granola I want.
Any help?

Use this as a guide.
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... /#more-761
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby mountain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for, simple and fast. :-D
mountain

Postby lfwfv » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:02 pm

I just saw this today:

http://tinyurl.com/d3kydg7

I think the key to no-oil granola is coating the oats with a liquid sweetener (agave, maple syrup, honey, brown rice syrup) so the oats bake up crunchy....kinda like a fruit crisp topping. I think the ratios of spices/dried fruits/nuts/seeds are up to you after that and don't really affect the final product too much.
lfwfv

Postby LaurieRD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 am

Here is my own fat-free granola recipe, all ready for the cookbook I'll probably never publish!

More With Even Less (Fat-Free) Granola
I love granola but I don’t need the high fat content of traditional granola. I also don’t need the high price! This one leaves out the oil, nuts and seeds and adds only a little bit of juice for sweetening. Millet is a surprise guest – it’s an old, nutrient dense grain that toasts up nicely. Coconut extract is optional, but if you like coconut in your granola, this is a clever way to have the flavor without the calories.

Most recipes tell you to use a cookie sheet for baking, but I need higher edges when I stir so I use a roasting pan instead, or a large cake pan.

This is gluten free as long as you choose gluten free oats and oat bran. Amounts can be adjusted to taste.

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick)
½ cup millet
½ cup oat bran

1 ½ cup low sugar juice (apple or orange)
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon coconut extract (optional)

Mix first 3 ingredients in roasting pan. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate container, then add to oat mixture and stir until uniformly moist and sticky.

Spread out in roasting pan evenly.

Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Be sure to stir thoroughly—edges get brown toward end of cooking and can burn.

Let cool in pan completely. Store at room temperature in sealed container.

Serve with fresh fruit and your favorite milk substitute.

Each ½ cup serving contains: 300 calories, 12 g protein, 5 g fat, 9 g fiber plus 40% of daily need for magnesium and iron.
Nourishing your body is a non-negotiable priority.
LaurieRD

Postby Conz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:30 pm

LaurieRD wrote:Here is my own fat-free granola recipe, all ready for the cookbook I'll probably never publish!

I love granola but I don’t need the high fat content of traditional granola. I also don’t need the high price! This one leaves out the oil, nuts and seeds and adds only a little bit of juice for sweetening. Millet is a surprise guest – it’s an old, nutrient dense grain that toasts up nicely. Coconut extract is optional, but if you like coconut in your granola, this is a clever way to have the flavor without the calories.

Most recipes tell you to use a cookie sheet for baking, but I need higher edges when I stir so I use a roasting pan instead, or a large cake pan.

This is gluten free as long as you choose gluten free oats and oat bran. Amounts can be adjusted to taste.

½ cup millet
½ cup oat bran

2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Mix first 3 ingredients in roasting pan. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate container, then add to oat mixture and stir until uniformly moist and sticky.

Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Be sure to stir thoroughly—edges get brown toward end of cooking and can burn.

Each ½ cup serving contains: 300 calories, 12 g protein, 5 g fat, 9 g fiber plus 40% of daily need for magnesium and iron.

do you use raw or cooked millet?
Conz

Postby Conz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:31 pm

LaurieRD wrote:Here is my own fat-free granola recipe, all ready for the cookbook I'll probably never publish!

½ cup millet
½ cup oat bran

2 Tablespoons cinnamon

do you use raw or cooked millet?
Conz

Postby LaurieRD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Raw millet. It toasts up beautifully!
LaurieRD

Postby BroccoliForever » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 pm

I just made the recipe above that LaurieRD provided (with the millet, oat bran and rolled oats). I have to say, it is actually quite good. It is definitely not very sweet... but it is an excellent topper for banana "ice cream". Since we do not have juice in the house, I peeled some "Cutie" oranges and whirled them up in the blender/Vitamix until I got to 1.5 cups. This worked beautifully.

I could not find millet at my grocery store, but I was able to locate it at the local Chinese grocery store for less than $2.00 a bag.

Thanks LaurieRD!
BroccoliForever

Postby LaurieRD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 pm

You're welcome! I'm glad it worked for you. Blending the fruit was brilliant. I just keep little boxes of juice for when I need something like this.

You're right, it isn't sweet. I always like plain, crunchy cereal and then add lots of fruit.

Course, now I have to go make some banana ice cream... :)
LaurieRD

Postby mountain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:05 am

LaurieRD, thanks for the recipe, will have to try tonight.
Not too sweet is perfect cause our banana based ice cream is definetely sweet enough. :-D
mountain

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning