Why fail?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why fail?

Postby pinkrose » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 am

I have read thousands of posts here in the last three years...and I have learned a little.

I have identified some of the major causes of failure and success related to McDougalling, especially weight management.

1. People remember their history of eating! Many want to eat the way they ate yesterday or the day before. They want to bring their old habits and old food choices along with them on their McDougall journey.

A better idea: Forget your history of eating. Think about having an empty bowl or plate. Stock up on the foods that will support your health. Discard the other stuff.

What will you put on your empty plate/bowl? If you want to keep it simple (as I do), you can eat one or a few unrefined low starch veggies as your main course and a starch (potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes etc.) as your dessert.

If you want to make it more interesting, you can find hundreds of recipes at this site and many more in Dr. McDougall's books.

See http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

So tip #1: Forget!

2. Some are overly concerned about what others think of their food choices. If you wait for everyone else (your doctor, spouse, kids, Oprah etc.) to follow Dr. McDougall's advice before you are be willing to embrace it, you will never do it.

We like to be affirmed by those around us. We like approval and support. However, this program will work for you if you do it as a lone, plant eating, wolf. If you do not want to leave the pack, you will fail.

If you have doubts about the program, study the great resources here. Read the books, watch the DVDs. Then, if you are convinced (as many of us here are) that you can follow the advice here, manage your weight successfully and enjoy better health, JUST DO IT!

Sometimes your path may seem lonely. You may feel left out when your friends go out for pizza and beer or go to Shake & Steak. However, if you will practice the discipline of eating for health daily, you will soon see the benefits of skipping such events.

Tip #2: Decide not to let relatives, friends, TV programs etc. determine what you will put in your mouth. Eat for health!

3. Some underestimate their ability to adapt to changes. They think they could not do what many us do here because: they would get too hungry, they don't like veggies, they don't like starches, they love meat, they would miss their cheese etc.

Some adapt faster than others but, based on what I have read here, I think that most serious McDougallers are quite satisfied with their food in less than 60 days.

This is the best part for some of us. Hunger is easier to manage than cravings! After you omit your substances of abuse (My favorite was ice cream.), the cravings will eventually disappear. When you are truly hungry, you will find that you can tolerate the hunger better than the cravings! You will be able to satisfy your hunger with an ample meal of veggies and starches.

You will be enjoying your McDougalling journey!

Tip #3: Know you have great adaptive capacity. Many others have succeeded with this way of eating and you can too!

I invite others to add your comments and tips! :!:
pinkrose

Re: Why fail?

Postby Watermelon Lady » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 am

Great advise! I think for me since I'm doing this alone, it's important to surround myself with all the information I can. Like reading the message boards here, youtube videos, books, DVD's, etc. It keeps me motivated and also gets me prepared to answer any questions from my friends or family.
Watermelon Lady

Postby Donna R » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 am

this weekend we had relatives here for my husband's birthday. they had the usual ice cream and cake. was I tempted? no, I don't care about that sweet stuff any more. tastes do change. so keep on keeping on and it will get easy.

as for motavation, this forum is great!
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby mountain » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:45 am

As someone else here (rickfm?) said:
"Look at the stuff as non food items"....I found that a very helpful idea.
Also, don't think of yourself as "different, weird or strange", think of yourself as a "leader, adventurer, intelligent...way ahead of the others ....human being".
Also, think of yourself as a shining example and remember, you need to shine to be an example!
So eat well and try to look nice by chosing nice (but inexpensive clothes). Think of nice things and try to always keep a little smile on your face....that shows others that you are happy as well as invites them to you...maybe then asking you why you are so happy. Answer....because I feel great.....why do you feel so great.....answer....because I eat so well......what do you eat........... :D And there you go, another chance to educate someone :D
mountain

Postby latinosunshine » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am

Thank you for the advice. I still struggle and have seen progress but this is a great reminder.
latinosunshine

Postby rickfm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:55 am

Excellent write up, pinkrose!

I have been surprised by my own adaptive ability. Whole plant food, no oil is now what's "normal" for me.

mountain wrote:As someone else here (rickfm?) said:

*scratches head*

I don't remember saying that, but I agree with it. Like milk... I think of that stuff as poison anymore. Most bread... might as well eat a can of Play-Doh.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Atom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 am

When temptations come I quickly run to the fridge. I stuff my face with beans, potatoes, rice, corn, corn tortillas, etc. It's amazing once you are filled how the temptations go away. :nod:
Atom

Postby Wife2Dan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Ugh, can I tell you all, I was doing so good for a month straight and then I was missing meat, or so I thought. I ate fish and chips last Friday and within an hour, I felt horrible, I felt nauseous and had a headache. Well, that didn't deter me and I continued to eat whatever during the weekend. My heartburn has come back and I don't feel as good as I did when I was eating no animal products. As of this moment, I am continuing back to how I was eating. I hate not feeling well, this is perfect testimony to myself that I was doing the right thing for my body and now my body is fighting me back. LOL!!! Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I needed them!

Blessings,
Wife2Dan
Blessings,
Wife2Dan

Wife2Dan

Postby Lexus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:22 pm

pinkrose wrote:We like to be affirmed by those around us. We like approval and support. However, this program will work for you if you do it as a lone, plant eating, wolf. If you do not want to leave the pack, you will fail.

I agree with all three of your points but can really associate with this statement! I tend to be the "lone wolf" type in much of my life, so it has been very natural to me to not have the approval/understanding of the majority of those around me. I actually think that I prefer it this way and think that if Oprah had suggested it I would have been less likely to conform! :wink:

Someone asked me the other day if I was tempted by the bbq pork ribs she was eating and I told her I had eaten (and enjoyed) them in the past and that now I am ok with not eating them again. I kinda surprised myself...I thought I was going to have to lie about not wanting them, but I REALLY didn't! I think that I finally have adapted to this way of eating - I didn't see the ribs as something I should want to eat. Yeah!!
The greatest feeling is going to bed and thinking of all the food I ate that day - NO guilt, No "I shouldn't have eaten ____" but instead feeling full, satisfied and looking forward to another day of eating for my health!!

Thanks pinkrose for all your inspiring words...I always enjoy your straight forward, sensible messages.
All my best, Lexus

Began the journey to health on April 20, 2012!

Lexus

Postby dlee » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:48 pm

rickfm wrote:Excellent write up, pinkrose!

I have been surprised by my own adaptive ability. Whole plant food, no oil is now what's "normal" for me.

*scratches head*

I don't remember saying that, but I agree with it. Like milk... I think of that stuff as poison anymore. Most bread... might as well eat a can of Play-Doh.

Ditto for the above.
Great tips Pink Rose and I agree that humans are very adaptive Rick. That stuff does not look or smell like food anymore.
I saw "Vegucated" recently -great documentary about where "the meat and fish comes from and how much damage to the planet the meat and fish industry is causing. It starts out kind of cartoonish but gets better as it goes on.
Just like "Bag It 2010" people should see how things really are !
These forums are really good for keeping in touch with those realities and keeping inspired to make changes in our life styles.Dlee
dlee

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:45 pm

When I am surrounded by junk at family or church events, I make sure to pile the brown rice/potato/brown rice pasta/corn tortillas and plant-based main dish high. (I usually bring this stuff myself.) I also eat a huge salad with healthy dressing and a big serving of whatever fruit is available. When the calorie-counting, fat women in the group see my skinny bod and my huge piles of food, they gasp. I refuse to go hungry so make sure there is always something I can eat at events.

The same is true for home. I keep a pot of beans, a pot of brown rice, a pile of corn tortillas, and a bowl of steamed potatoes along with tons of veggies and fruit around all the time.

It is a rare thing to crave bad stuff, if I keep myself well fed. Animal foods and oil are poison to me now. I wouldn't consider drinking cleaning fluids even if they tasted good.
Last edited by Grammy Ginger on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grammy Ginger

Postby janluvs2heel » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm

rickfm wrote:Excellent write up, pinkrose!

*scratches head*

I believe it was frozenveg who said that.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby shell-belle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Wife2Dan wrote:Ugh, can I tell you all, I was doing so good for a month straight and then I was missing meat, or so I thought. I ate fish and chips last Friday and within an hour, I felt horrible, I felt nauseous and had a headache. Well, that didn't deter me and I continued to eat whatever during the weekend. My heartburn has come back and I don't feel as good as I did when I was eating no animal products. As of this moment, I am continuing back to how I was eating. I hate not feeling well, this is perfect testimony to myself that I was doing the right thing for my body and now my body is fighting me back. LOL!!! Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I needed them!

Blessings,
Wife2Dan

I can relate to this. we have been eating the mc dougall way for about 19 months. about one year into this way of eating we went for old times sake to a seafood restaurant we used to visit monthly. we both ordered the mahi-mahi with rice and salad. it just tasted too heavy and greasy. i'm sure the rice was cooked with butter and the salad dressing was oily. we each ate about half our meal and took the rest home for our dogs. we did not feel well after that "meal" and we both slept poorly that night. ugh.

tastes really Do change and i am not temped by fish or greasy, oily things any more.
shell-belle

Postby Tiger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:47 am

Thanks for the tips, pinkrose. #1 really hits home with me, since I'm really struggling with the idea that I must have a coffee break with baked goods every afternoon.

I'd love to get to the point where SAD food doesn't hold any appeal, but I still hear the siren call of cookies and crackers. Forget! Forget!
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby Melinda » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:34 pm

Great post Pinkrose - wonderful tips!
Tiger, I also love baked goods, and I just bake my own no added fat muffins - lovely, so unless you are on MWL, that can be a good solution.
Melinda

Next

Return to The Lounge