should this make us reconsider coffee?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

should this make us reconsider coffee?

Postby mangolover » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:09 pm

I came across this article in Time, and wonder if it should make us reconsider coffee.

Not a definitive study perhaps, but seems to indicate that coffee, and the 1000's of phytochemicals in it, may not be all bad.
from the article: "Overall, coffee drinkers were more likely to smoke cigarettes and consume red meat and alcohol than those who didn’t drink coffee. However, when the researchers adjusted for these risk factors, they found that drinking coffee was inversely related to death. Coffee drinkers were less likely to die from heart disease, respiratory disease, stroke, injuries and accidents, diabetes and infections, but there did not seem to be an association with decreased cancer deaths."

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/17/c ... z1yMyYTLfZ

I would be in the group of older people who do not smoke, drink alcohol, or eat meat. I gave up coffee a while back trying to follow your advice as closely as I could. I'd enjoy that morning cup with my wife again if I felt it was health neutral (or positive). Any thoughts, Jeff?
mangolover

Re: should this make us reconsider coffee?

Postby Adam1984 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 pm

You have to remember that studies like this one compare coffee drinkers to those who don't drink coffee and are following a very bad diet, such as SAD. So sure the SAD is so deficient in nutrients that adding coffee will do little bit of good. what if we compared a coffee drinker to someone following the DrMcDougall diet? We would surely find that someone who eats a starch based diet with no coffee would do much better than the coffee drinker.
Bottom line, when you read studies think about the groups that are being compared. You can find studies that say olive oil is healthy because they compare it to butter.
people say they have to be motivated before
They do something. I say do it and the motivation
Will come.
-Dr.Oz
Adam1984

Return to Jeff Novick, RD