Healthnut's 40 Day Journey

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Healthnut's 40 Day Journey

Postby healthnut13 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Well, I just finished (voraciously consumed) the Starch Solution, altho' it's been 17 yrs. this wk since I learned of "John and Mary" and have loved their program (tho' not always followed it!) :-( I'm ready to be "all in" for 40 days (then will have to give up some control of my life as I take a trip to Venezuela--tho' I will take some of my own food, even!

This will be a journal of my food intake, exercise, and how I feel as I go along! I also watched Dr. Klaper yesterday--really impacted me and I woke up w/the phrase, "You can't fix/treat just one thing" regarding extra supplements, drugs, etc. What a great motivation to go "natural" as much as possible too--and hopefully get better sleep as well.

I'm going to start that journey towards good sleep w/tart cherry juice tonight! Hey--anyone who wants to take this 40 day journey w/me is more than welcome! :D The more the merrier!
"If nothing changes...nothing changes!"
healthnut13

Re: Healthnut's 40 Day Journey

Postby sksamboots » Sun May 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Look forward to following your journey. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby proverbs31woman » Mon May 28, 2012 12:00 am

Hey Healthnut,

I'll join in. I'll keep an eye on you as you progress.
proverbs31woman

Postby healthnut13 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:52 pm

All right!!!!!!! Day One! I had to discount yesterday as I had some gluten free cookies and there was one serving left of low fat ice cream. Ugh :roll: ...was mad at myself but today is a new day...1/40 to be exact!
This a.m. on my bike ride I took Stevia and cinnamon sweet potatoes and lemon water--then came home for a veggie Subway lunch w/my DD. We're making brown rice tortilla veggie pizzas for supper and I'm so happy to have this accountability and y'all along for the ride!

healthnut13

Postby LauraA » Mon May 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Wow - we have a few things in common. I think that I first found out about McDougalling 18 years ago, and have followed the program off and on, but have been vegan for all but a few months when I added fish. I am on DAY 12 of 100% MWL, and have done great so far. I also will have less control, since I'm leaving for a remote orphanage in Tanzania in early June. I still plan to be on plan while I'm there - it is just that there may be some oil in the food. I'll be pulling for you - I'm finding the journal very helpful. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby proverbs31woman » Mon May 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Doing great, Healthnut! Keep it up!
proverbs31woman

Postby healthnut13 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:57 pm

It's so fun to have you guys on the journey and it will be fun to keep up w/your success!!!!!!!
Today was a food prep day--I love doing that....got some baby purple potatoes, yucca root, red potatoes, spaghetti squash, garden tomatoes, and coleslaw! Made the huge thing of coleslaw w/Nayonaise, and the Oatmeal Bran cookie recipe from the New McD Cookbook. I make a huge thing of it...and actually don't cook it; I eat the dough, every once in a while heating it up in the microwave to make it puff up a bit. I LOVE cookie dough and this REALLY hits the spot! But then again, I don't go for "asthetics" as much as what I'm craving...and if you have a sweet tooth it might be your answer too!

Today's workout was teaching two spin classes...I'm also doing an on-line challenge and this wk is maximum # of plank minutes we can fit in...haven't been fitting in many and need to pick it up tomorrow!

Have a super night!

healthnut13

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu May 31, 2012 10:58 am

Seems like you're doing well and adjusting to the program. I'm hanging in there too. It's getting easier as the days go by.
proverbs31woman

Postby healthnut13 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 am

I'm still here! (and eating those veggies; gonna boil a bunch of the cutest purple potatoes today for my long bike ride tomorrow) and just wanted to check in! I love reading everyone's journals, so even if I seem to be quiet, I'm a'lurkin'! :-P Time to fix the face before church...workout done and I'm sleeping better, so it's a great day so far!
healthnut13

Postby healthnut13 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:28 pm

After a b.fast of McDougalized banana bread and a great bike ride, it was coconut milk (light) chocolate pudding and veggie lasagna. Gotta say...lovin' this and the zillion opportunities to be creative w/my cooking. Of course...it's been a whole day w/o rice and beans...so that's on my radar for one of my next meals--I never tire of it!

healthnut13

Postby healthnut13 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm

OK! My DD and DH are both doing low carb! Doing well, I must say--but I must go against the grain and continue to eat what fuels MY workouts, bike rides and fights my cravings for carbs! They feel good and energetic eating that way; I do NOT! 12 miles covered on bike and 150 burpies today....now gotta go clean 3 bathrooms.... :cry:

healthnut13

Postby dempseygirl » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Hang in there! You are doing great.
dempseygirl

Postby healthnut13 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Who knew that apricots were such a rival for marshmallows???? We have 3 trees of them and now I'm just fighting the birds for them and will go out to pick when I update you. DD moved back to college dorm for the month and DH is off for a long motorcycle trip...so it's just ME and my McD friendly diet for about 12 days!!!!! So excited to not have to worry about cooking anything but simple grains, beans and veggies...and just eating when I need it. Hope everyone else is doing great; set a goal and go for it! My 64-mi ride today was my big one for the wk.

healthnut13

Postby healthnut13 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 am

Boy, do I love reading everyone's journals! Keep up the super work and giving us all delicious ideas! My easiest 2 ingredient fave thus far is bbq sauce w/black beans! Side that w/boiled yucca root and I think I could be stuck on a desert island for quite a long time quite content!

healthnut13

Postby healthnut13 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:49 pm

I am so thrilled to see so many ppl posting; when we feel like we are the ONLY one's eating healthily or "this way"...we need like-minded ppl to chat w/and read about their challenged, struggles...and ideas on overcoming!!! I've got a ton of healthy vegetables all ready to eat this wk...one of Dr. Fuhrman's recipes called Eggplant Roll Ups all made...as well as cabbage stuffed/mexican filled "burritos"...basically you take brown rice/black bean mixture and soften the cabbage leaves in boiling water for 10 mins. Stuff and bake...recipe was the winner from a viewer on the Dr. Oz show -- OK...so here's the link...and it's an enchilada not a burrito :)
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/lean-bea ... as-supreme
Hope everyone's week to come is super! Today is my "Sabbath" so am so enjoying not working out .... but tomorrow is P90x time!
healthnut13

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning