Carrot Dogs

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Carrot Dogs

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Vibrant wrote:Rob please let us know how they turn out
Vib

OK - Here's the result of plant-dogs on the grill this Father's Day:

Eggplant-Dogs - These turned out by far the best. Started with long, slender purple Asian eggplants and cut both ends off resulting in an eggplant the length of a hotdog. Striped them lengthwise on a couple sides with a vegetable peeler. Put them on the grill and cooked them for about the same amount of time that you might cook a hotdog. Withstood the fire very well. I did not coat them with anything. Served them in a WW hotdog bun with variations of mustard, ketchup, relish and onions. Great texture, about the same as a hotdog, with the skin having a little chewiness to it. Be careful not to overcook them or the inside will turn to mush. My wife liked the eggplant-dogs as well. She is on McDougall but was skeptical at first. She liked that they actually looked like a hotdog after grilling.

Carrot-Dogs - The carrot-dogs had a sweeter flavor. they did not hold up to the heat well as the carrot burnt when directly over the fire. They needed to be precooked (hot water or microwave) as the carrot was still too crunchy after the outside was done. I could have cooked them much longer over lower heat. The flavor was good but the texture missed the mark.

I have some parsnips that I plant to try on the grill and will try pre-cooking one of them first and for the other I will try cooking more slowly over lower heat.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has tried any of these plant-dogs on the grill now that it's summertime.
Rob

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:01 am

Vibrant wrote:Well Rob, I wish we liked eggplant here. This is an entire family of people who dislike eggplant. No edogs here but I like the sound of those carrots.
thanks for sharing

It took me a few years to develop an affinity for eggplant. I first started having it in Chinese dishes and really grew to like it. One of our favorite eggplant preparations is with spaghetti. We dip eggplant slices in soy milk and bread crumbs, then bake them in the oven until crispy and serve them with a plate of pasta and spaghetti sauce - basically eggplant Parmesan without the Parmesan cheese.

With the edogs, you really don't taste much of the eggplant because it is rather bland. I'll admit it sounds a bit weird but it works if you can get past the idea of an eggplant in place of a hotdog. On the other hand, if people saw a pile of the disgusting ingredients that went into hotdogs: pig intestines, snouts, eyeballs and various chemicals alongside a beautiful fresh eggplant, they might change their mind.
Rob

Postby Carol » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:12 am

eaufraiche703 wrote:hmmm.... just reading through the new Penzey's Spice flier (snow day- not going anywhere!), and wondering how one could use "bratwurst spice" or "sausage spice" on something unsausagey to replicate the flavor in a vegan way....

this carrot dog idea has some real possibilities!

I buy these small pouches of already made-up sausage spices. There is salt in there though. I add some to greens-and-beans (which I used to eat with cut up sausage) and I also add the spice to a rice and kale dish for the same reason. It does add a lot of flavor without all the fat/protein of adding real or fake sausage.
Carol

Postby healthyvegan » Sat May 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Just wanted to add that we made this for Memorial Day via the fatfreevegan recipe! They are awesome. We let them marinade for a few days and just heated them up in a pan. On a toasted bun covered in condiments you seriously can't tell the difference!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby never give up » Sun May 27, 2012 6:08 am

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2012/04/10/easy-and-healthy-carrot-dogs/ Are these the ones you are talking about healthyvegan? I had saved the recipe to try as they sound really good.
never give up

Postby never give up » Sun May 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Tried the carrot dogs on the grill tonight (recipe on my previous post). They were really good and a definite keeper!!

My brother has been asking lots of questions about our diet and I have had him try stuff each time he comes over. He doesn't know it yet but carrot dogs will likely be the next thing he tries. :lol:
never give up

Postby healthyvegan » Mon May 28, 2012 12:39 am

yep, next time i'm going to get the thickest carrots I can find! Finding oil-free buns is the next challenge. I bought some organic ones that had a little oil in them...
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby NewCindy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I have not tried it yet but it is in my pile to one day try:

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2012/04/10 ... rrot-dogs/
NewCindy

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:20 am

Greetings, Carrot Dog Enthusiasts!!

In celebration of carrot dogs, I wrote a post on my blog called "Go, Carrot Dog, Go!" There's a mention and hyperlink to the lively discussion here as well. Come take a look and maybe have a laugh. Thanks for helping to inspire me!!

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/201 ... ot-dog-go/

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Rob » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Moonwatcher - Great blog! Now we know why Peter Rabbit was in Mr. McGregor's garden.
Rob

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Yes!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Rob!!

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Trinity » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Yes, I made carrot dogs for the first time a couple days ago. I boiled the carrots and they turned out great! I just folded a piece of homemade bread into a bun and added ketchup and mustard.
Trinity

Postby Lynn M » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Yes, I use the recipe from FFV as a base with a few changes
I only cook the carrots in the water for a few minutes
Omit the liquid smoke from the marinade
Smoke in the smoker until tender.
(could do on the grill too, but I have a tendency to make charcoal on the grill - much more sucessful with the smoker - btw, smoked Mary's loaf from the new cookbook for Easter - it was so good!)

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2012/04/10 ... rrot-dogs/
Lynn M

Postby dinska » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 pm

I finally got around to doing this tonight and they were great. I should not be surprised, since Subway bases an entire chain restaurant's success on how much people like condiments!
dinska

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning