Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Postby eaufraiche703 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 am

WOW! GREAT IDEAS!

You're very clever and resourceful, Caroveggie!

Thanks for the links, Secdroid and Chef AJ!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby Teri Leventhal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:33 am

Hi! My name is Teri Leventhal, and my focus is creating quick, easy, healthy recipes with lots of fruits and vegetables. I have a video where I introduce myself and talk about my goals for creating healthy recipes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n12BytnZDJQ&feature=player_embedded

Here are a few of my recipes with less than 4 ingredients:

Cucumber Noodles with Tomato-Orange Sauce
http://terileventhalsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/811-recipes-cucumber-noodles-with.html
This is one of my favorite healthy meals; light, fresh, refreshing, and beautiful. This recipe is truly stunning which makes it wonderful for entertaining. It is a beautiful and fun way to serve and eat a salad, and kids love it! This recipe is quick and simple: it only includes three ingredients and it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare enough for an entire family. The orange adds a beautiful citrus kick and slight sweetness to the tomato sauce, which is balanced perfectly by the calming flavors of the cucumber noodles. This recipe is a fun, creative, and delicious way to add more fruits and veggies to any diet!

Butternut Squash Noodles with Many Delicious Sauce Variations
http://terileventhalsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/811-recipes-raw-butternut-squash.html
Butternut squash is incredibly healthy; it is high in fiber, vitamins A and C, potassium, manganese, and carotenoids which help protect against breast cancer, macular degeneration and heart disease.

Asian Pear, Banana, Cinnamon Smoothie
http://terileventhalsblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/811-recipes-asian-pear-banana-cinnamon.html

Savory Kale Salad!
http://terileventhalsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/811-recipes-savory-kale-salad.html
Lots of recipes for kale salad are heavy in fats (olive oil, avocado, etc.) used to tenderize the kale. In this recipe, I use the natural acidity of pineapple and tomato to tenderize the kale, making it's texture truly delectable. The result is a luscious low fat vegan kale salad!

I hope you enjoy these recipes!
Teri Leventhal

Postby Quinoamania » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Perhaps this wasn't posted because it is so obvious, but my favorite take-to-school combo is

cooked brown rice,
cooked beans,
salsa, and
corn

Adjust proportions to your preference. Good hot or cold.
Robin

McDougalling my way to health since 9 Feb 2012.

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Quinoamania

Postby veganjen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 am

Bowl of Food:

1 pot of cooked brown rice
2 cups cooked vegetables
1 can of black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed

I mix it up in a big bowl and season with hot sauce. It makes a lot, so good!
Jen :)

Pictures:
http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/jengrif/
My website:
http://www.jengriffen.com/default.html

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Pablo Picasso
veganjen

Postby danmc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Garbanzo bean mock chicken salad

This is something I make all the time. You simply take some garbanzo beans, mix with a fat-free mayo substitute, and then add celery and/or onions and/or pickles and seasoning of your choice. You can also add mustard for flavor.

Just blend the beans and mayo up in a food processor, varying the amount of mayo and blending time to make it smoother or chunkier. Then add in the chopped up celery and/or onions and seasoning.

I use this to make sandwiches, and also put a big scoop of it on top of a salad.
danmc

Postby Christine in Cali » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:26 pm

OATMEAL MILK

1 banana
1 cup of cooked oatmeal
2 cups of water

Blend ingredients. You can add a tsp. of vanilla if desired. Blend until smooth. Put in a pitcher, and refrigerate. It will keep approx. the same time as milk.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby heatherjoy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Banana cookies:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup rolled barley
2 mashed bananas

Mix all together, add a little water if not moist enough, and make into cookies and bake on baking paper at 180 celsius or 350 fahrenheit for about 15 minutes. To conserve energy I actually turn the oven off after 10 minutes and leave them another 10 minutes in the residual heat. I also add a little spoon of sugar-free berry jam to little versions of the cookies for my son.
heatherjoy

Postby kc42 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Sweet potato pudding

Per person:
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 cooked and refrigerated sweet potato

Blend like you would banana "ice cream".
For some weird reason it tastes like butterscotch pudding. :D
kc42

Postby fussit » Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 am

I make a potato bowl!! so good , nuke 2 red potatoes get a bowl put lettuce,onion,tomatoes and when you tators are done chopp them up in the bowl add mustard ketchup( homemade) less sugar and salt !! :nod:
fussit

Postby Latgerda » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi, I am new to the program and for the first time in years made a taste of home last night. I am from southern Germany and there we make a very low-fat version of potato salad, so I was excited to realize that my personal soul food I had abandoned is all of a sudden not off limits anymore. So there goes:
----
Bavarian-Style Potato Salad
Note: There are a lot of variations out there, this is just the most basic and can be adapted adding all sorts of ingredients, like herbs, vegetables, pickles.

1 pound potatos
1.5 cups vegetable stock
dash of vinegar, to taste
1/2 of a red onion

Scrub and boil the potatos in their skin, let them cool enough so you can handle them but don't cool them over night. For some reason, you have to make the salad on the same day or they won't soak up the flavours properly anymore. Peel (if you wish) and slice them.
Finely dice the red onion, place in a bowl. Bring stock to boil and pour over onions. Let them sit in the stock for a few minutes - this takes the rawness out a bit. Add vinegar to taste.

Add the potatos and mix it all together. Let them sit in the warm mixture until it all has cooled down. They should soak up all the broth. Sometimes, depending on potatos, the salad can get a bit dry over night so if you like it extra juicy, just warm up some more broth and add it.
Latgerda

Postby Latgerda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:08 am

I just remembered a 2-ingredient oatmeal cookie recipe I found here: http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/

I like adding cinnamon or raisins, but the basic variation is literally mashing up two bananas (overripe is good), mix with 1c of rolled oats, put on baking sheet (the recipe says greased but I put them on parchment paper and that works just fine) and bake until golden brown.
Latgerda

Oats veggies and asafoetida

Postby pundit999 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 pm

This is a surprisingly very tasty and quick dish you can even cook for breakfast. But this is great for any meal:

1 whole tomato chopped up thin (you can use strained or paste also)

1/2 cup frozen spinach (or 1.5 cup fresh greens of any kind: arugula, spinach etc)

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

A pinch of asafoetida

Add 2/3 cup water in a pan and bring to boil. Add tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix them well as they cook. Now add greens and cook for a 2 more minutes and then add oats. Another 3 minutes and add asoefida. Keep stirring. Wait for 2 more minutes and enjoy. Add salt as needed. Makes one serving.

I have experimented with adding fresh cilantro and green chillies. If you can tolerate the green chillies or Jalapenos they go well with this dish. Just chop them up fine and add in the beginning.
pundit999

Postby lindylou55 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Chicken flavored seasoning; Tastes just like chicken.

11/3 C Nutritional yeast flakes 3 t salt
3 T onion powder 1 ½ T basil
1 T garlic powder ½ t turmeric

Mix all ingredients together and store in glass jar.
lindylou55

Postby Coasting » Fri May 03, 2013 2:17 am

Sesame noodles. Hot or cold is great.

Any noodle cooked and chilled if doing cold.
Sesame paste. Called Tahini in the West.
Apple cider vinegar.
Honey.
Chili sauce (optional)

Mix the the sauce ingredients to taste. You might need a bit of water to thin it out if you don't want any more vinegar in it.

Mix noodles in the sauce. Add some cool cucumber slices. Enjoy.
Coasting

Postby Doris » Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 am

It is hot in Texas, so I enjoy salads for breakfast. Today I made a salad with 1 cup cooked leftover brown rice, about 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes cut up, one small cucumber chopped , about 1/4 cup chopped onion, and some lime juice. Mixed it all together and seasoned with black pepper and a small dash of salt. Yummy, so good on a hot morning. :)
Doris

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning