Leg cramps?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Leg cramps?

Postby CarolynA » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 pm

I am having cramping (like muscle spasms) in my thigh (hamstring?) on the left side only. The doctor says I have bursitis in my left hip, and I thought it was that at first, but this is different. I can actually feel the muscle tighten and relax, and it really hurts! Is this a vitamin deficiency? What would cause this? I have had charley horses before, but never this high on my leg. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be, and how to get it to stop? Thanks! :)
I am worth it!
CarolynA

Re: Leg cramps?

Postby Donna R » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 pm

this isn't McDougall, but I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc tab before bed along with a potassium. for a bad cramp, salt substitute (which is potassium) works in a hurry.
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby pinkrose » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:49 am

Sorry about your discomfort, Carolyn!

See

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/muscle-cramp/DS00311

Based on the above article and my own experience I think that being adequately rested, hydrated and nourished may help. :!:

I hope you soon get relief.

Please keep us posted! :-D
pinkrose

Postby AnnaS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 am

Sometimes magnesium can help muscle cramping, but DON'T take supplements, you won't know how well these are absorbed or what imbalances they could set up. Instead, you can absorb some extra magnesium through Epsom salt baths. Put 2 cups of Epsom salts in a tub of warm water, add 1 cup of baking soda (so your skin won't itch), and soak yourself for half an hour at least. There was a British study that showed 200mg of magnesium was absorbed in 20 minutes in a bath. If that helps, you're on the right track.

It seems less likely it might be potassium, but if so that can be corrected by eating more high-potassium foods (bananas, etc.) My Mom had a low potassium level in her blood work and she corrected it by focusing on potassium-rich foods for a few weeks. She's had no problems since.

If the baths help, then you might consider what conditions might be draining you of magnesium...i.e., any prescription drugs, coffee, an undiagnosed illness, perhaps just digestive issues? If so, probiotics might help your gut and get you better absorption in the long run.

I deal with muscle cramps and pain quite a bit due to my Lyme disease. The baths are a big help, meanwhile treating the bacteria and taking care of other health issues related to the illness.
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Return to Health Issues