Belly fat going thanks to Geoffrey Levens

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Belly fat going thanks to Geoffrey Levens

Postby nordgirl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:54 am

Thank you for your advice for my husband to do plank exercises to get rid of his last bit of belly fat. He has really gotten into them after initially finding them very difficult to do and gosh he is looking great, dare I say it, hot even? :-)

I'm very pleased because I don't think he should lose anymore weight, adding the planks to his daily stationery bike routine was the perfect solution.
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Re: Belly fat going thanks to Geoffrey Levens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:35 pm

nordgirl wrote:Thank you for your advice for my husband to do plank exercises to get rid of his last bit of belly fat. He has really gotten into them after initially finding them very difficult to do and gosh he is looking great, dare I say it, hot even? :-)

I'm very pleased because I don't think he should lose anymore weight, adding the planks to his daily stationery bike routine was the perfect solution.

Congratulations to him for hard work well done! Probably not fat though but rather just weak muscles that are getting stronger. You absolutely cannot lose weight from just one place on your body and particularly cannot target spot loss with exercise. Fat is a systemic issue and even though many bodies do store more in one place or another, to lose that they must just lose fat everywhere at once.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby greentea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Planks rule...and so does Geoffrey! :D
greentea

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Thank you! :D Here's me relaxing at home...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Maer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Sound great! so where do I find these plank exercises described?

How long has your husband been working at it?

Maer
Maer

Postby greentea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:52 pm

greentea

Postby pinkrose » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Geoffrey, well done...AGAIN!!! :-D
pinkrose

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I am working on becoming the secret Jack LaLanne of the Rockies. hee-hee.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby nordgirl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:53 am

Only a few weeks, which makes it all the more impressive. Previously he was doing 40 minutes of stationery bike on week-days, now he does 5 minutes of planks before and 5 minutes after. I'm thinking I might try a few myself. Although I'm very slim, there is definitely a bit of 'mummy tummy' there that some planks wouldn't hurt.
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:41 am

Planks are actually also great for your overall posture and your back! A good strong core protects your spine
GeoffreyLevens

Postby greentea » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:06 am

nordgirl wrote:

Only a few weeks, which makes it all the more impressive. Previously he was doing 40 minutes of stationery bike on week-days, now he does 5 minutes of planks before and 5 minutes after. I'm thinking I might try a few myself. Although I'm very slim, there is definitely a bit of 'mummy tummy' there that some planks wouldn't hurt.

:eek: Does he hold a plank for 5 minutes straight??? If so, wow! 1 minute is about the most I can do at a time.
greentea

Postby nordgirl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:08 pm

I just asked him for specifics, and apparently it doesn't work like that... I'm starting to change my mind about starting the planks!
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby greentea » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:50 pm

nordgirl wrote:I just asked him for specifics, and apparently it doesn't work like that... I'm starting to change my mind about starting the planks!

I don't know what you mean by "it doesn't work like that". :oops: please explain.
You should definitely give them a try. They are a fantastic exercise. Start with 20 or 30 seconds and work up from there.
greentea

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Heck, start with 5 or 10 seconds, whatever you can do is great!
GeoffreyLevens

Next

Return to Health Issues