Lists In The Book

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lists In The Book

Postby AussieSharon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm

I would like to ask about the lists of foods in the book. In my previous post "Hungry" I mentioned that I would miss green peas because I love them. Someone said why? I assumed it was because they are not listed in the book. And I assumed that you could only eat what is on the various lists for grains, vegetables, fruit etc.

For vegetables for example: apart from, obviously, avacardo and olives, all veggies are allowed? Or are their other exceptions? And fruit? All fruit is allowed, not just those mentioned on the list?

That is where I got mixed about about "allowed" foods. Could someone clear up my confusion about the lists? Thank you.
Healthy For Life!
AussieSharon

Re: Lists In The Book

Postby pinkrose » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Yes, I think some look at some of these lists, the recipes etc. and think this way of eating must be very complicated. It can be as simple as you want to make it, Sharon!

So as far as I know there is only one fruit to avoid, the avocado, because it is high in fat and I know of no veggies we should omit. Maybe someone else here knows other exceptions.

So enjoy all of your favorite unrefined veggies and starches and you should do well. In terms of nutrition, some are better than others and I prefer to eat lots of greens and cruciferous veggies.

Keep us posted on your journey! :-D
pinkrose

Postby glassbird » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm

I eat green peas in so many different dishes that I am thinking about buying earrings shaped like pea pods...

(and I have lost at least 60 pounds so far...)

Cathy
glassbird

Postby carrotkilla » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:38 am

I was under the impression that the lists were for less common foods just to get you thinking beyond what Americans (Westerners) typically eat.
carrotkilla

Postby Vegankit » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:12 am

The lists are general guidelines - it would be impossible for Dr. McDougall to list all potential fruits and veggies.

As part of the free info on the home page, Dr. McDougall has green peas listed with the starches, as part of the pea family.....http://www.drmcdougall.com/free_4b.html

In the Maximum Weight Loss book - which is what I presume you are referring to, he has them listed on page 11 in the Starch/Legumes group where he mentions peas as well as other beans etc.

Fruit is limited to two servings a day.

To your list of high fat foods to avoid, you can add soy beans, unless treated to remove the fat and coconut.

BTW, the lists of acceptable processed foods in the back of the book are out of date. It's safer to read labels than rely on an old list.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program