Potato Salad... need help:)

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potato Salad... need help:)

Postby patty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 am

Yesterday I made a potato salad for a picnic.. though the picnic didn't happen because of the weather... I realized my potato salad needed something. I used new potatoes, green onions, celery, sun dried tomatoes and chinese parsley. The dressing: lime juice, vinegar, mustard... and it tasted like I used too much lime.. and bland.

I also made a shredded carrots, apples, and raisins salad and it was delicious. And the sushi I got down.. if anyone has a better potato salad recipe without I would appreciate it.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Potato Salad... need help:)

Postby Plumerias » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:01 am

Well, I don't know if it's better, just different from yours...... No measurements though.
Cooked, cubed potatoes, preferably still warm
Diced onion
Diced celery
Dressing is a mixture of the mustard of your choice, some horseradish, and abundant fresh dill
I mix everything but the potatoes together first, as it's easier to then just fold in the warm potatoes. Chill well, allowing time for things to marry. You may have to add more dressing before serving, depending on how the potatoes absorb it.
Plumerias

Postby stoumi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:13 am

I have made this potato salad before and it was very tasty. This link is from Straight Up Food.
stoumi

Postby patty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Plumerias wrote:Well, I don't know if it's better, just different from yours...... No measurements though.
Cooked, cubed potatoes, preferably still warm
Diced onion
Diced celery
Dressing is a mixture of the mustard of your choice, some horseradish, and abundant fresh dill
I mix everything but the potatoes together first, as it's easier to then just fold in the warm potatoes. Chill well, allowing time for things to marry. You may have to add more dressing before serving, depending on how the potatoes absorb it.

I imagine the horseradish and the abundance of fresh dill will work:) The dressing didn't have anything else besides the mustard? I think it will work:) And will give it a try.

stoumi... the recipe looks really good.. I just am trying to stay away from nuts and avocados... and even soy because of the fat even though I know it isn't processed:) When i cut out tofu I lost weight right away:) Today I added a little pepper flakes and it spiced it up a bit. I ate a lot yesterday... and no weight gain.

i am going to try the Marinara with Zucchini Noodles.. looks really good and I imagine it would work with spaghetti squash:) http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2010 ... i-noodles/ Great site.. bookmarked it:)

Mahalo, patty
patty

Postby Plumerias » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Just a little water to dilute it a bit. The horseradish is from one of those jarred products found in the refrigerator section, so it too supplies moisture.
Plumerias

Postby patty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:41 pm

I will pick some up. I will give it a try. I have some wasabi powder.. and ended up buying the one in the tube... but it is really hot. I think plain horseradish will have a different taste and with the mustard and the abundance of fresh dill.. it sounds delicious.

Mahalo, patty
patty

Postby sachili » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 pm

hi patty,

One suggestion... MAYO!!! :-D

There is an excellent tofu mayo recipe from mcdougall. It is great for coleslaw and i bet it would b really good in ur salad.

Tofu Mayonnaise

1 12.3 ounce package firm lite silken tofu
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon white pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.

This will keep in the refrigerator for at least 1 week.
Pax et Lux
sachili

Postby Sweet Potato » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Oh my! mustard/horseradish/dill
Plumerias that sounds divine. I have to make potato salad soon and try it.
Sweet Potato

Postby greentea » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 am

sachili wrote:hi patty,

There is an excellent tofu mayo recipe from mcdougall. It is great for coleslaw and i bet it would b really good in ur salad.

Tofu Mayonnaise

1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dry mustard

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.

I've made potato salad many times using tofu mayo and it is excellent. I like lots of crunchy in my potato salads so add chopped up dill pickles, extra celery and shredded carrots. For flavour I add extra dill, and sometimes capers.
greentea

Postby patty » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 am

greentea wrote:

Tofu Mayonnaise

1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dry mustard

I've made potato salad many times using tofu mayo and it is excellent. I like lots of crunchy in my potato salads so add chopped up dill pickles, extra celery and shredded carrots. For flavour I add extra dill, and sometimes capers.

I am trying to stay away from the tofu... I love tofu:) and only letting it go I have started to lose the last few pounds. I could add the rest of the ingredients with the horseradish/fresh dill and of course the dill pickles and capers. I am following a rule now... only share what I can eat. Which is a good thing because when the picnic was canceled I of course ate everything I made in that day and following day:) And didn't gain weight:)

1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dry mustard

Mahalo, Everyone:) I will make it today:) and let you know. I love potatoes:) My daughter might stop by and she can have a taste.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby sachili » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:17 am

patty wrote:
greentea wrote:

Tofu Mayonnaise

1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dry mustard

I am trying to stay away from the tofu... I love tofu:) and only letting it go I have started to lose the last few pounds. I could add the rest of the ingredients with the horseradish/fresh dill and of course the dill pickles and capers. I am following a rule now... only share what I can eat. Which is a good thing because when the picnic was canceled I of course ate everything I made in that day and following day:) And didn't gain weight:)

1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dry mustard

Mahalo, Everyone:) I will make it today:) and let you know. I love potatoes:) My daughter might stop by and she can have a taste.

Aloha, patty

That sounds delish! Im hungry just reading... or is it cause its lunch time? lol :)
Pax et Lux
sachili

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning