Easy Fast breakfast ideas

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Easy Fast breakfast ideas

Postby Marianne20 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 am

Here it is Sunday lots to do and my first few days and wonder what to make. Thought of a potato with onions and make some asparagus but I have to cook the asparagus. Day off finally and so much to do. I really need quick meals to throw together because I like most are really pressed for time. Hubby making eggs right now don't want them. Help if you can. Cheated last night after a very long day gone from 6:30 til 9 last night. Made popcorn but it was packaged and for sure had a light coating of butter and salt.
Marianne20

Re: Easy Fast breakfast ideas

Postby Wild4Stars » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:50 am

Oatmeal and fruit.
Salad, yes I sometimes eat salad for breakfast.
Soup.
Leftovers from another meal.
Think outside the box of "typical" breakfast foods.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby uncgirl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:56 am

I just finished making a 5 minute breakfast: 1 serving of Quaker 5 minute Oats with 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp of cocoa (undutched so as to get maximum antioxidants), 2 tsp chia seeds, and handful of frozen raspberries. Delicious! It also is very filling for me. My other favorites for breakfast are hashbrowns cooked on GF grill, baked Yukon gold potatoes, or baked sweet potatoes. I'm not much on cooking so I usually use the slow cooker for the potatoes; put them in overnight and done in the morning. I've been really into healthy soups done in the slow cooker lately too, and yes I'll eat soup for breakfast. For my veggies I like to use Birdseye Steamfresh bags and just toss them in the microwave. I get the ones without sauces and just add spices after cooking. Their asparagus is very good. Of course I supplement all this with fresh salads and fruits too. Hope this is helpful!
uncgirl

Postby frozenveg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am

I got sold on rolled oats (5 minute oats) early on and I hardly ever have anything else! I make them in the microwave. If you microwave them in a bowl 2 1/2 times as big or bigger than the measurements of oats and water, it will never boil over. No stirring involved.

2 parts water to one part oats (usually 1 cup dry oats for me), cinnamon, and sometimes almond extract (adds a heavenly taste, like pie!). When done microwaving, drop in same proportion of frozen cherries or blueberries (1 cup to 1 cup) and let them thaw (5 minutes or more). If in a BIG hurry, microwave the fruit in with the oats.

I keep meaning to eat something else for breakfast, but it's coming up on 2 years, and I can't bring myself to change!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 am

Just FYI guys--the "quick oats" aren't at ALL necessary! REAL rolled oats also cook up in 3-4 min in the m-wave and are better for you (b/c more complete, not torn up). I put oats in a bowl, add water and frozen fruit, nuke 4 min, add a little maple syrup and it's YUMMY.

I recommend switching to real old fashioned oats instead of the quick oats.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Chumly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 am

Microwave a sweet potato, top with fruit of choice (I like a banana or blueberries), sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 TBSP flaxseed and eat.

For a savory breakfast, I sometimes use a potato, water or broth-sauted onion & garlic, with some beans and top with nutritional yeast and hot sauce, salsa or whatever spices you like.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Quinoamania » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 am

ETeSelle wrote:Just FYI guys--the "quick oats" aren't at ALL necessary! REAL rolled oats also cook up in 3-4 min in the m-wave and are better for you (b/c more complete, not torn up)

And rolled oats are so much more satisfying! They are thicker so they are more chewy and have more substance. In fact, I think it is time to go make a bowl now! :-D
Robin

McDougalling my way to health since 9 Feb 2012.

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Quinoamania

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:41 am

Yes, I agree. The quick oats are gummy-tasting to me.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Chumly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:47 am

I agree the more refined the oats are, the more pasty the consistency and I just don't like them. My favorite are steel-cut or whole oat groats, but they take much longer to cook. I sometimes use my rice cooker like a crock-pot to make oats. I just put it on the warm setting, add my oats (or pearled barley) and water and let it set overnight. It's all ready when I wake up in the morning.

Michael
Chumly

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am

Yeah--I like steel cut oats but I have no time for them in the a.m. and just can't bother with breakfast the night before, LOL. So old fashioned rolled oats work best for me. :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Marianne20 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Thank you all so much. Today I had leftover oatmeal not the quick kind. I too like the rolled oats kind more texture. I added some frozen strawberries and water to the oatmeal because it was pretty thick I made it Saturday before work and saved some in a dish.
That sweet potato sounds good I have to try it maybe tomorrow. I do feel better more energy yesterday and today. Don't know why but I couldn't sleep much mind thinking too much last night. I had about 4 hours sleep but I feel okay and did go to the gym before work. Just had a salad I make the night before and have been putting a little chilli over top instead of salad dressing. There I still don't know what to do. Salad dressing.
You are all great with ideas :D
Marianne20

Postby PurplePotato » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm

You could make a large amount of starch ahead of time and leave it in the fridge and take out individual portions throughout the week and re-heat. Some ideas:

Cook a large batch of steel cut oats (or another any other grain) and place in fridge. Each morning, throw a serving of oats, some frozen berries, and and a dash of cinnamon in a bowl and microwave for a couple of minutes.

Cook a bunch of potatoes ahead of time and leave in fridge. Each morning, split open a potato or two, dump on some frozen asparagus and salsa, and microwave.

You could even make the complete meal ahead of time, and refrigerate or freeze individual servings.
PurplePotato

Postby Wild4Stars » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Good Food Made Simple makes steel cut oats already cooked and ready to go, frozen in single serving pouches. I found them in my regular grocery store (Publix) near the frozen organic breads. They have plain, with berries, and with maple syrup. No artificial anything, no preservatives, colors etc. Just like their name says "Good Food Made Simple." A bit pricey, so I only use them when I'm in a huge hurry, but I like steel cut oats so they're nice to have in the freezer.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby TerriT » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:41 pm

I love these healthy oats in a jar; they're steel-cut oats cooked in advance, with some frozen fruit added. Then you just reheat as needed. I omit the seeds for a MWL breakfast. They keep at least 4 days (I've always eaten them up by then so they might keep even longer).

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2011/12/03 ... -in-a-jar/
TerriT

Postby TerriT » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:42 pm

I just remembered that years ago I used to make steel-cut oats overnight in a thermos - just add the hot water before you go to bed and seal it up, in the morning it should be done and still warm.
TerriT

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program