Paula Dean "Lightens Up"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Paula Dean "Lightens Up"

Postby djunamod » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:26 am

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-02-24-14-02-18

" I was taught (to cook) by my grandmother and nothing I can do would change that."

Now, I like Paula as a person, but this comments seems a bit of a cop-out to me. My mom has been making over my grandmother's recipes for years and making them lighter and my grandmother has never been anything but pleased at the results. I hardly doubt any grandmother would object to generations proceeding her changing her recipes for the better - that's how new traditions are made!

Djuna
Starting Weight: 187.4
Current Weight: 182.2
Goal Weight: 120-125
djunamod

Re: Paula Dean "Lightens Up"

Postby didi » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:38 am

It is possible that she honestly believes it is the sweet tea that is responsible for the diabetes. And genetics, race and age. Lifestyle covers a lot of territory. Go on any diabetic support group and you will read of people eating meat, dairy and fat but carefully counting carbs as though they are the primary cause of diabetes.

The Smithfield Ham and Philadelphia Cream Cheese people must be awfully glad that she attributes her diabetes to sweet tea. She doesn't say anything about cutting out ham and cream cheese..

Didi
didi

Re: Paula Dean "Lightens Up"

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:37 am

didi wrote:It is possible that she honestly believes it is the sweet tea that is responsible for the diabetes. And genetics, race and age. Lifestyle covers a lot of territory. Go on any diabetic support group and you will read of people eating meat, dairy and fat but carefully counting carbs as though they are the primary cause of diabetes.

The Smithfield Ham and Philadelphia Cream Cheese people must be awfully glad that she attributes her diabetes to sweet tea. She doesn't say anything about cutting out ham and cream cheese..

Didi

Paula is the Queen of Denial. But then, it doesn't help that The American Diabetes Association doesn't really support a healthy diet. Paula will never give up her butter. And to think that using 5 different kinds of cheeses in a dish is perfectly OK because they are all fat-free cheese is just silly. I am trying to re-create good ol' down home Southern cooking on my blog (below). As Dr. McDougall illustrates in "The New McDougall Cookbook," (pub. 1997), you can change many recipes to comply with his program. I even found a way to make cherry cream cheese pie without cheese and it's delicious.
Gramma Jackie

Return to The Lounge