Cholesterol Level - leave it be or continue to test?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cholesterol Level - leave it be or continue to test?

Postby elgaeb051 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:01 pm

So my cholesterol tests were up from 165, 179 and 190. I really have no idea why .

The thing is I was real strict and follow this diet. I love it and enjoy the food. I've been was on the diet well prior to the tests. I don't go off it.

The only change was that I decreased and eliminated oat bran and Vitamin D from my diet (prior to the last test) -- replacing it with rolled oats and vitamin D.

Since the 2nd test, I've gone back to the oat bran and added in a little Vit D3 as the doctor felt my 25iu level was too low. Everything else is all on the program.

I have no other health problems. My question is whether or not I need to keep retesting cholesterol. There is nothing else I can think of to do to lower mine.

My diet consists of: brown rice, rolled oats, oat bran, fruit in small quantities, whole wheat pasta, vegetables, sweet potatoes, potatoes, some salt sprinkled on (not from processed foods), a small amount of decaf green tea (1 -2 cups), beans (approx 1 cup per day) . . . I make my own food and don't eat out much. When I do, and it is rare, I have a salad and/or a dry baked potato (Wendy's for ex.)

My weight is fine.

Do I just stop concerning myself about it and continue to eat well (on the above diet) or do I concern myself with other measure? what measures?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
elgaeb051

Re: Cholesterol Level - leave it be or continue to test?

Postby pinkrose » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:57 pm

El, it seems you are doing so well and many would be quite envious of your lipid profile numbers! :nod:

Some want to follow all of the details. Some want the big picture. I am am a big picture person. I figure if we get the big things right, the details will be good and I am not a fan of testing very much. I think it is unnecessary and expensive. That is because I am a big picture person. So the answer depends on what kind of person you are. If you can be content to do the best you can and let the results follow (without knowing them), why would you want to be tested often?

Also, have you considered adding ground flax seed to your diet? :?:
pinkrose

Postby didi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:12 pm

I am sure there are lots of facts you can find out about cholesterol. Just a couple that I can think of--cholesterol numbers are somewhat higher in winter. Check with your doctor and make sure that the same lab is doing the tests. Different labs may give different tests results. I am assuming you fasted for twelve hours before the test. Has your weight gone down any, up any or are you at your normal weight? Are you exercising? Vitamin D is somehow involved with cholesterol in the body but I would have to look it up. Maybe increasing D will help.

Didi
didi

Postby elgaeb051 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Didi- My weight might have decreased by a few pounds - but not anything considerable - my weight is pretty steady. I did fast. I do exercise and have regularly for years.

Pinkrose - I haven't added ground flax seed, as I used to have a cholesterol level of over 300 and have avoided nuts and seeds. I haven't worried about adding flax seed either as I assume that my levels of omega 3 and 6's are in balance per benefit of the diet itself.

Also, Pinkrose, I understand about the big picture - I've found concentrating too hard on the details is frustrating - the big picture is a helpful image. Sometimes, though I receive information from the medical profession or others that have me consider this or that issue. So many talk about having their cholesterol level be below X # . . . makes one wonder sometimes.
elgaeb051

Postby Steve » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:52 pm

elgaeb051,

You are doing great. going from over 300 to where you are now is lifesaving. Have you checked out the suggestions in Hot Topics and in the McDougall Program for a Healthy Heart? The Doc has way more tricks that oat bran. Also, what did you put on the oat bran and rolled oats? Cinnamon is supposed to be related to lowering levels in some people. Here are links. http://drmcdougall.com/med_hot_cholesterol.html and http://drmcdougall.com/store_eb_hh.html

Good luck
Steve

Postby Steve » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:59 pm

I saw another thread which might help. Maybe some folks react to fruit. Did your fruit intake go up? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27037

Steve
Steve

Postby stoumi » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 am

I can see myself falling into this same category. My cholesterol has dropped 64 points recently after going on the McDougall Plan. In July, 2011 I had a total cholesterol of 263, which dropped to 199 at the end of December, 2011. I thought that drop was amazing! Never thought I would see my cholesterol get down to a "normal" number, my doctor said it could not be done with diet and I required medication.

While I haven't had my blood work checked, I do want to get another blood test soon to see if the level has continued to decrease, but at what point do I stop monitoring and live with the level of cholesterol? Personally I would like to see it go closer to 150-160, which may or may not be possible. Not sure I can completely depend on my doctor to give me a good answer when I see him next.
stoumi

Postby Melinda » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:57 am

I have this little (unsubstantiated) theory that while there have been no documented heart attacks in the Framingham Study with people with choleserol levels under 150, I have often wondered if everyone has a certain level of their own, under which they are 'heart attack proof'. It seems from what I have read here and elsewhere, that certain peoples' levels drop through the floor when they start this way of eating, and others drop but not nearly as low. Dr. Esselstyn says as long as you are following a whole foods plant based diet with no added oils or nuts, not to worry. (according to "The Healthy Librarian's' blog.) Any thoughts on this?
Melinda

Postby Adrienne » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 am

Dr McD has said that taking vitamin D supplements can raise your LDL cholesterol:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/sep/vd.htm
Adrienne

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:55 am

Adrienne wrote:Dr McD has said that taking vitamin D supplements can raise your LDL cholesterol:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/sep/vd.htm

The study referred to postmenopausal women taking hormone replacement.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby elgaeb051 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Everyone,

A big thank you again for all the resources.

I carefully re-read all your thoughts and re-read the links you provided.

Didi - it was very helpful re-reading about thinking of the big picture and not being too narrowly focused.

Steve - the links you shared were great! Thanks!

Everyone!!! many appreciations! I think I'll just stay out of the doctor's office - unless there is some real need to visit.
elgaeb051

Postby shell1226 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:48 am

El, you are doing so great. Keep it up!!
Rachelle

shell1226

Return to The Lounge