Awesome Crispy "Tator Tots"

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Awesome Crispy "Tator Tots"

Postby greentea » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 pm

I just baked mine on a non-stick cookie sheet. They really are so easy to make.
greentea

Postby ruupyet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 pm

ETeSelle wrote:I wish these didn't sound like such a long, drawn out process, LOL. I'm INCREDIBLY lazy in the kitchen and Jeff's Fast Food DVD is my idea of cooking. I miss tater tots (one of my vegan-but-horrible-for-you guilty pleasures in the vegan SAD days), but just reading about this wears me out, LOL.

I love people that go to the trouble of making a blog with great pictures and step by step instructions but it does make the recipe seem more complicated than it really is. This does require more time than Jeff's meals because you do have to cook the potatoes and bake them. But the prep time isn't bad. I keep a mixture of the spices/flour in the fridge so it is just a matter of making the potatoes.

Here is a summary:
Peel and dice potatoes.
Put in pot of water, bring to boil, and let cook for just a few minutes (3 or 4 minutes).
Drain potatoes.
Toss in some type of flour and any spices you like and shake the potatoes up so the mixture coats the potatoes.
Dump on a cookie sheet (I personally do not use parchment for this recipe and I never use non-stick). Spread them out and bake at 500 for 40 - 45 minutes.
ruupyet

Postby serenity » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:06 am

ruupyet wrote:These are so good. My kids love them.

http://fifteenspatulas.com/2011/01/10/n ... -potatoes/

I also lower the temp to 500 and they are done in 45 minutes in my oven. Even my very SAD eating mom absolutely loves these.

When you first posted this I bookmarked the recipe. Well, I'm going to make them today and went to check the recipe. She has since updated it to read 450 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes. I guess she was getting a lot of feedback about burning (although she doesn't mention the change.) :)
serenity

Postby TerriT » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:23 pm

She changed the bit about salting the water on her blogpost too, it originally said it should be as salty as ocean water but it doesn't say that anymore.

Made these for the first time tonight - delicious! They were done in 25 minutes in my oven. I have an oven thermometer so I know it was 450° exactly. Maybe it was because I used white potatoes, instead of russets.

Thank you so much for the link! I will be making these often.
TerriT

Postby Christine in Cali » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:05 pm

ruupyet wrote:Here is a summary:
Peel and dice potatoes.
Put in pot of water, bring to boil, and let cook for just a few minutes (3 or 4 minutes).
Drain potatoes.
Toss in some type of flour and any spices you like and shake the potatoes up so the mixture coats the potatoes.
Dump on a cookie sheet (I personally do not use parchment for this recipe and I never use non-stick). Spread them out and bake at 500 for 40 - 45 minutes.

I would love to try to make these, but for some reason I can not get to the original website and I am confused about the basic instructions above. Do I shred the potatoes? Could some one just cut and paste the recipe into a post for me.

Thanks a potato patch
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby ruupyet » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Christine in Cali wrote:I would love to try to make these, but for some reason I can not get to the original website and I am confused about the basic instructions above. Do I shred the potatoes? Could some one just cut and paste the recipe into a post for me.

Thanks a potato patch

Sorry the link isn't working for you. Her descriptions are way too long to copy and paste.

Cut the potatoes like you would if you were cutting them up for potato salad.

I'm glad to see that she lowered the temperature and time! I like mine crispy but her original recipe was a bit too much for my liking.
ruupyet

Postby Christine in Cali » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. So basically they are crispy potato chunks? You don't form them in to tots?
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby ruupyet » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Christine in Cali wrote:Thanks for getting back to me. So basically they are crispy potato chunks? You don't form them in to tots?

Correct! You just chop them up like you would for potato salad, parboil them, season them with some spices and flour, and bake. The coating will crisp them up.
ruupyet

Postby audretoburrito » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:41 pm

I've been making these everyday to use up the bags of white potatos I had that started rooting. I use non stick foil to keep them from sticking and so I don't have to wash the cookie sheet afterwards lol. I had to play with it to find the time that would krisp them without burning. It bake em for 20-25mins and season them with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper yummy.

Audrey
audretoburrito

Postby Summer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Yep, no salt needed, but throwing in a bunch of spices with the flour is a definite plus in my opinion, thanks again for sharing this here!
Summer

Postby serenity » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:36 pm

ruupyet wrote:
Christine in Cali wrote:Thanks for getting back to me. So basically they are crispy potato chunks? You don't form them in to tots?

Correct! You just chop them up like you would for potato salad, parboil them, season them with some spices and flour, and bake. The coating will crisp them up.

Christine, is it the link that isn't working or the actual web site? Did you try going directly to the website - fifteenspatulas.com?

Also, note the instruction in one of the above posts to shake the potatoes after adding the flour. The blogger says this is important to "mar" the edges and create the crunch.
serenity

Postby Christine in Cali » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

What does "mar" the edges mean? Thanks for giving me the heads up. I have tried both ways to get to the site, maybe it's my computer. I was actually thinking off shredding the potatoes and forming them into tots. It may not work but I do love my tot's :-P
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby TerriT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 am

"Mar the edges" basically means to round them off a bit. I cooked my potato pieces in my pressure cooker pot (not under pressure though). When they were done I returned them to the pot with the flour and spices, put the lid on without the seal in it and locked it into place then shook it up really well. This made the pieces look more rounded like tater tots instead of squarish.
TerriT

Postby mountain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:55 am

Help...I clicked on the link but I only get the error message....those taters sound so good, anyone can help me....maybe post with cut and paste....please
mountain

Postby Debbie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 pm

I too had lots of issues with the site. Sometimes I can get in other times not. Not sure why.

I've made these a few times, once made mashed taters on accident!

Basically what i do is this,
Take several potatoes, peel and cut into 1 inch cubes. Put in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil and boil 6-10 mins. I put them in a colander and let drain. I do so many, I take half and leave the rest. Once theyre cool, put a couple tablespoons of flour, I use gluten free, some garlic and onion powder and pepper put the taters in. Close the bag and shake!! Spread on a cookie sheet so they're not touching. I bake them at 425 for 25-30 mins. Longer if I keep opening the oven cause I'm hungry :unibrow:

These are so good!! Thanks for posting :)
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning