Awesome Crispy "Tator Tots"

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Awesome Crispy "Tator Tots"

Postby ruupyet » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:26 pm

These are so good. My kids love them.

http://fifteenspatulas.com/2011/01/10/n ... -potatoes/

I've adjusted the recipe to suit our tastes. I use oatmeal flour in place of the flour and I season the potatoes with a ton of ground up rosemary, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, a dash of chipotle and salt.

Ignore her insistence on excess salt. Obviously, we all know it isn't necessary. I do like salt on my potatoes but no need to go overboard.

I also lower the temp to 500 and they are done in 45 minutes in my oven. Even my very SAD eating mom absolutely loves these.
ruupyet

Re: Awesome Crispy "Tator Tots"

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks for the link.
Gramma Jackie

Postby greentea » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D
greentea

Postby surrealchereal » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Looks great! Thank you :)
surrealchereal

Postby greentea » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 am

Oh wow! I can't believe how crispy they turned out!!! Fantastic. I followed your instructions. I'm glad I did because I think if I left them any longer than 45 min, they might have burned.
greentea

Postby toadfood » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 am

This looks tasty! For the oatmeal flour, do you grind up rolled oats in your food processor?

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby ruupyet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 am

I put the rolled oats in my coffee grinder along with all the other spices and grind them up together.

I'm thinking the person that came up with these fabulous potatoes has an oven that isn't keeping its temperature because there is no way I could let these go 15 minutes longer at 25 degrees hotter. Sometimes even 500 for 45 minutes burns a few of the ones I make.
ruupyet

Postby toadfood » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am

ruupyet wrote:I put the rolled oats in my coffee grinder along with all the other spices and grind them up together.

That sounds great! I have a coffee grinder I use for spices and flaxseed. I would rather not buy flour, since I won't use it for anything else.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Summer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 am

I'm assuming these would work even without any salt at all? I'm tempted to try these but I haven't bought salt in more than a decade. I think it's been almost as long since I have made tater tots. For a larger family it was too labor intensive and subject to failure with my method, which was to shred the potatoes, rinse, microwave, then semi mash together forming into tots and then bake. This method sounds so much easier! ...and potentially more delectable with the seasoned flour.
Summer

Postby ruupyet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 pm

They'd work great without any salt! I've done really good with curtailing my salt addiction but I hate any kind of potato without salt so I add some. Like I stated, if you do use it, no need to go crazy like she suggestions in her recipe with putting it in the water and adding tons of it as a seasoning. I've never made these using only salt and pepper like she suggests in the recipe. That seems too bland for my liking. I've always used a blend of multiple seasonings to suit our tastes but you can use whatever appeals to you.
Last edited by ruupyet on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruupyet

Postby stoumi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:38 pm

I will say "AWESOME!" as well. Maybe them tonight in hopes of complementing them with my son's burger. Unfortunately 525 degrees in our oven was too hot and some of the bottoms burned just a bit. I don't think I even had them in the oven for 35 minutes. Maybe 35 minutes. All in all the outside had a great crunch and the inside was soft. Altogether they were tasty! My wife loved them, so that means I will be making more of these real soon. I am sure my son will eat them up, as long as I don't burn them.
stoumi

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:06 pm

ugh, I got them all ready and turned my oven up to 500 and it crapped out! I used white flour and had them all perfectly muddled into tater tots, I was skeptical at first if the cubes would round out, but they did perfectly. Now just have to wait for the oven repairman (I ended up just turning them into mashed potatoes...)
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:27 am

I wish these didn't sound like such a long, drawn out process, LOL. I'm INCREDIBLY lazy in the kitchen and Jeff's Fast Food DVD is my idea of cooking. I miss tater tots (one of my vegan-but-horrible-for-you guilty pleasures in the vegan SAD days), but just reading about this wears me out, LOL.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:28 am

Do you guys put them on parchment paper or what? I've never used parchment paper (the idea of paper in the oven just kinda freaks me out) but otherwise won't they stick?
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby stoumi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:40 am

No, I probably should have put some parchment paper down, but the non-stick cookie sheet I used worked well. None of the tots stuck, but I probably could have decreased the burn...still I will try these again.
stoumi

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning