NancyG for 2012

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

NancyG for 2012

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Well it's been awhile. Have had a rough month if you have seen my Facebook posts.

First last Friday I wound up being taken by ambulence to the hospital. I had come inside to watch tv in the bedroom and all of a sudden I had a very sore throat and then I couldn't talk. Like I was somewhere else. I could hear me, but nobody else could. I thought it was because of the bug bite on my neck but that wasn't it.

Diagnosis was first a TIA and I was fine, then the doctor reviewed another test and pointed out the stroke to me. I was not paralyzed in any way and just have a slight lack of balance, and some trouble talking or finding the right words. I guess I was very lucky. It's my own fault from the beer and smoking 6 cigs a day. I am now a non smoker and only drank 1/2 of a beer since i got home.

The kicker is that they wanted 2 more tests before I went home and they did two different tests on my neck. One was a catscan and seems i moved a bit the wrong way and they got a film of my chest by accident.
Anyway they found a tumor on my right lung and it is going to biopsied on the 12-13th. Then we will see what it is.

Ed was talking to two people here on our street and they both said they had tumors on their lungs from Valley Fever. I had that 30 years ago here in AZ and supposedly you can't get it again. We had 3-4 haboobies this summer that brings the dust storms. It is a spore from the soil that you catch. I did have a week with the same symptoms as last time but this only lasted a week. Anyway it is a possibility that the tumor is from that, but I am not too encouraged right now. Since November 8th I have had major back pains and I still think it is from the Barium Enema test I got Nov. 8. No way should it last this long.

I am going get the tumor biopsied and we will see what happens. I will keep everyone posted, sick of being in pain.

I am NOT SMOKING and so far did finish 1/2 beer the day I got home but none after that.

Anyway that's whats happening with me...will keep everyone posted.
ncyg46

Re: NancyG for 2012

Postby giddyupgin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:04 pm

So sorry to hear this from you....hope you are on the mend...did I hear that you just gave up smoking?...
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby Debbie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:07 pm

Prayers for you and yours. Love you :-D
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby to_our_health » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Hoping for the best outcome...take care of yourself during the testing and waiting!
to_our_health

Postby KristaO » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm soooo thankful you gave up smoking! Hoping for the best. :thumbsup:

PS - This shows one of the "haboob" dust storms from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4Cx44XKZ4
Last edited by KristaO on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~krista

http://ParadiseValleyMusic.com
KristaO

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:53 pm

giddyupgin wrote:So sorry to hear this from you....hope you are on the mend...did I hear that you just gave up smoking?...

yes, i did!
I miss my beer more! I was in the hospital over 4 days so I basically got thru the withdrawals then and didn't have anyone blowing smoke in my face when I came home like in the past! :D
Now I just have to say away from the smokers...and find something else to drink when we are socializing.
ncyg46

Postby carollynne » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 pm

Good Luck to you!! My mom lived to almost 88 and did not stop smoking until she was 85... lungs were clear up to the end to. Congestive Heart failure but not til the day before she died.... odd, how that can be, I know. Prayers for you, dear lady!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby giddyupgin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:59 pm

ncyg46 wrote:
giddyupgin wrote:So sorry to hear this from you....hope you are on the mend...did I hear that you just gave up smoking?...

yes, i did!
I miss my beer more! I was in the hospital over 4 days so I basically got thru the withdrawals then and didn't have anyone blowing smoke in my face when I came home like in the past! :D
Now I just have to say away from the smokers...and find something else to drink when we are socializing.

so glad you stopped smoking....as far as the drink to have...selzer water is great!
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm

KristaO wrote:I'm soooo thankful you gave up smoking! Hoping for the best. :thumbsup:

PS - This shows one of the "haboob" dust storms from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4Cx44XKZ4

thanks for the video! I was watching on the news but didn't see this one.
ncyg46

Postby Adrienne » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi Nancy

So sorry to hear about what you are going through. Just curious though, were you on any meds (beta blockers, ACE inhibitors or other blood pressure-lowering meds) that could have increased your risk for a stroke? Were you taking Aspirin? I know Dr McD mentions in his newsletters that certain meds can be problematic long term.

I hope you don't have too much difficulty quitting smoking. I wish you good luck with that, as I hear it can be tough.
Adrienne

Postby afreespirit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 pm

So very sorry to hear this Nancy. Thinking of you, for sure.
afreespirit

Postby soliver » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am

You might try Kombucha. It's sort of beer-like.
soliver

Postby f1jim » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 am

Hi Nancy
I am pleased you are doing fine but even more pleased that you know what needs to be done in your life to get you to the next level. Seems you have all the info you need to make a decision on the lifestyle choices that will help you best. Good luck in staying on the path and welcome to the club...the club that includes all of us that don't do what we need to do till we are finally face to face with the severity of our past actions. Like many of us we do our best work under pressure and hopefully that's you!
Sending all the kharma I can find your way.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby frozenveg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:52 am

Nancy, I'm rooting for you all the way! Isn't it a blessing that we can get better every day, even at our [advanced :P ] age??

Truly, it seems like the longer we live, the more life can throw at us. But I do believe we can get stronger every day!! Keep away from those smokers--or be the good example that gets them to quit, too!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby nomikins » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:06 am

Wishing you the best, Nancy! You are getting a new chance - take it!
nomikins

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning