Fine Tuning The MWL Program and Calorie Density

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fine Tuning The MWL Program and Calorie Density

Postby JeffN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:26 pm

This post was part of another post and I have been asked on many occasions to make it its own post. So, here it is with a few edits.

(you will find a similar message from Dr McDougall in this newsletter from 2005)

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... ushing.htm

The original question is in regard to weight loss.

Weighing yourself on a scale, as I mentioned above on a weekly basis is the best method to tell if you are in a negative calorie balance. On average, you should be able to safely and healthfully lose about 1% of your weight a week and maybe even more. That is an average over time and some weeks will be better and some weeks will be less. While it may not seem like much, if you multiply the number out by 12 weeks or 24 weeks or 52 weeks, this could be 24, 48 or 100 lbs lost.

If weight is not coming off as fast as you would like, then you have to make some adjustments to what you are doing. There are several adjustments you can make in regard to the caloric in end and the caloric out end.

In regard to calories out, you have three areas you can adjust which are frequency, intensity and time (FIT). You can exercise on more days or more times in a day (Frequency), you can raise the intensity of your exercise (Intensity), and/or you can do it for a longer period of time (Time).

In regard to calories in, you can lower the calorie density of the diet, by shifting the composition of your meals to include more foods that are the lowest in calorie density (vegetables, salads, soups, etc).

In addition, the following items are also known (and proven) to reduce calorie intake

1) - Calorie density- Make sure 1/2 of the bulk/volume of all your meals are low calorie dense non starchy vegetables and fruit. The other 1/2- should unrefined, un-(or minimally)-processed complex carbohydrates (legumes, intact whole grains, starchy vegetables, beans)

2) - Salt - Salt may act as an appetite stimulant and encouraging some to consume more food.

3) - Variety- the less variety, the less consumption.

4) - Raw Foods - Foods you can eat raw tend to be lower in calorie density and you may not digest as efficiently. Cooking begins the digestion process.

5) - Sequencing - Eating the lowest calorie dense foods first, fills you up so you eat less of the higher calorie dense foods

6) - Make sure you are avoiding (or strictly limiting) all higher fat, calorie dense plant foods, nuts, seeds, oils, avocados, tofu, etc

7) - Make sure you are avoiding (or strictly limiting) all refined processed grains and starches that are higher in calorie density (breads, bagels, crackers, cookies, dry cereal, etc and anything made from ground up flour) even if they are whole grain

8) -Avoid (or strictly limit) all refined concentrated sugars/sweeteners, even if they are natural and organic :)

9) Also, aim for 30 minutes a day of moderate activity.

If you do this, and make adjustments as necessary, you will lose weight.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Fine Tuning The MWL Program and Calorie Density

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Thank you Jeff...so clear, simple, and doable!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby patty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:26 pm

It would be great to have this post as a sticky. I was surprised you didn't mention fruit.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby BenFTW » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Thank you. :)
BenFTW

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 am

patty wrote:It would be great to have this post as a sticky. I was surprised you didn't mention fruit.

Aloha, patty

I have tagged it under "My Favorite Threads" as sometimes, we just get too many sticky's. :)

In regard to fruit, I am a little less cautious then Dr McDougall depending on the situation. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby patty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:54 am

I have tagged it under "My Favorite Threads" as sometimes, we just get too many sticky's.

Good I will know where to go for a print out to share when sharing your dvds.

I guess my response is from my habit mind, not just tweaking, because of fruit is a great reward food as in the islands sodas are used and of course digestion. So many seniors are on some type of medication where constipation is the side effect. I have found papayas are always the best fruit to help someone with digestion. And fruit is low calorie dense. I find drawing the line at starches.. the key and I am eternally grateful for you for that as your presentation is so simple and clear.

I guess it depends of the level of addiction.. some of us are sicker than most:), and I think this is where Dr. Fuhrman gets lost on true hunger. It is like alcohol/drugs.. when detoxed the ghost memories are always there and that is why it is a recovery daily process.. the mind can understand it but it might take the body a life time:) True thirst happens with water. True hunger happens with the lower calorie dense foods, starch creating long term satiety. I lost a 100 lbs twice doing ETL.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Dave Dardinger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 am

Where you're talking about calories in and calories out, you have two "calories out" and no "calories in" paragraphs. I'm pretty sure you meant to make the paragraph about calorie density "calories in" rather than "calories out".
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:10 am

Dave Dardinger wrote:Where you're talking about calories in and calories out, you have two "calories out" and no "calories in" paragraphs. I'm pretty sure you meant to make the paragraph about calorie density "calories in" rather than "calories out".

Good catch!

Thanks and corrected.

As I always do, whenever anyone catches anything like this, they get a free DVD as a sign of my appreciation.

So, if you would send me a PM letting me know which DVD you want out and where to send it, I will send it to you.

Thanks again.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby sweetfruitlover » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:57 am

This is great Jeff - thank you so much. It's very clear and simple to understand. I really appreciate all the energy you put in to this forum. I've learned so much from reading what you have written.
sweetfruitlover

Postby Alaskagirl » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 pm

Jeff,
When following the MWL plan, are vegetables recommended with breakfast, or is it o.k. to just eat fruit with a starch? I am confused by how the guidelines are written.
Alaskagirl

Return to Jeff Novick, RD