My starch-based pregnancy journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My starch-based pregnancy journal

Postby bellaby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 pm

This is my second pregnancy and so far I'm 5 weeks along.

With my first child I followed a vegan diet (definitely not low fat) and gained almost 30 pounds.

height 5'8''
weight: 138.9

I'm going to track my meals and follow 100% McDougall regular plan.

My appetite has already decreased.

b; oats, frozen cherries, 4 walnut halves
l: millet with leek and broccoli
s: small whole wheat pita bread, cucumber, apple
d:aloo palak, sauerkaut

Just out of curiosity I checked my folate intake using cronometer: 934,5 microgram. And everybody tells me that it is impossible to get enough folate without folic acid supplements!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRMiuUQ/]
[/url]
bellaby

Re: My starch-based pregnancy journal

Postby Broadbean » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:44 pm

FWIW, I think 30 pounds is just fine to gain while pregnant. Just eat plenty of good food, make sure you feel good, and it should be fine (of course folate levels are important).

(I worry that there's a trend to keep pregnancy weight gain to a minimum, and I don't think that's good for anyone...)
Broadbean

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Glad you're here, and it will be fun to read all your updates.

You've probably read what Dr. McDougall has written about nutrition during pregnancy, but just in case you haven't here are a couple links:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/ ... gnancy.pdf

http://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletter/m ... ril97.html

Good luck to you, and I wish you all the best in this exciting time in your life! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby carollynne » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 am

Great news! I am so happy for your babies to have you as a mother.
Good things are coming your way! Hugs!!
Have a good day!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby bellaby » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:04 pm

broadbean, I'm not going to try desperately to gain as little as possible, I think in my case 20-25 pound gain would be adequate

kirstykay, thank you for useful links, one of them was completely new to me

carollynne, I hope in the future my children will feel glad for the nutrition choices I've made for them, not deprived of 'normal' childhood ;)

Today's menu:

b - millet with strawberriesand walnuts
l,d - brown rice with spinach, chickpeas, leek and raisins
s - orange

Again, I'm shocked at folate level: 1168 mcg

I hope once I develop morning sickness I won't be repulsed by greens!
What has changed so far is a little problem with flax seed. I used to have 1 tsp of it with my morning oatmeal, but now it has started to taste too fishy to me, so I stick to walnuts instead.

During my first pregnancy my biggest craving was potatoes - very McDougall ;) the only thing I couldn't eat or even smell was raw garlic which I normally love.
[/url]
bellaby

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

You're lucky that you craved potatoes! My number one craving was FRIED CHICKEN!!! :eek: I used to make my husband stop on the way home from work and get it for us for dinner! Second to that was ICE CREAM!! :eek: And yet, I was surprised when the doctor diagnosed me with gestational diabetes, and I had 3 babies that were 10 lbs each, all c-section!!! Oh, if I had known then what I know now! My oldest is 21, but I didn't embrace this lifestyle until she was in college already, so they grew up eating SAD. Happily, my 13 year old has made the transition quite well, and enjoys it. He will be a lifelong vegan. I regret the same is not true for the older two. :-(

You and your children are blessed indeed to be starting out their lives eating this way!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby bellaby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 pm

well, i haven't posted for over two months, because I was so sick that I couldn't even think about food. My diet consisted of oranges, tomatoes, white bread (no whole grains at all!), occasionnal bowl of white rice and frozen strawberries. Anythings else would either make me throw up or caused severe stomach pains.
Despite such poor diet my bloodwork is fine. And I even gained 1 pound! I already have a noticeable baby bump and my boobs are 3 cups bigger that usual.

Today's menu:

b - Easter leftovers: sour rye horseradish soup, a slice of cranberry-lentil loaf
l -barley with broccoli and leek, a piece of cheeseless chocolate-cherry cake (Easter leftover)
s-apple, raw carrot, 1/2 cup hummous
d-salad: iceberg lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, 4 green olives
[/url]
bellaby

Postby carollynne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:20 pm

hi again, so glad you are doing better! keep us posted and so happy that you are still doing on the McDougall way of eating too.
Good Luck!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby bellaby » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:56 am

I crave more nad more fresh veggies!

yesterday's menu:

b - wholewheat pita bread, huge green salad with miso-lemon dressing, barley coffee
l - lentil stew, mixed fresh veggies
d- aloo palak, huge green salad
s- apple. one chocolate-cherry muffin (ff)

today:

b- two slices of whole rye bread with lentil spread, fresh veggies: iceberg lettuce, red onion, soured cucumbers, tomatoes
l- vegetable soup (nothing fancy, just to use up leftover veggies), half an apple, one chocolate-cherry muffin
d- new potatoes with dill, lentil burger, huge green salad with tomatoe vinegar (yummy!)
[/url]
bellaby

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning