What kind of performance should I expect?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What kind of performance should I expect?

Postby Dissolution » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:42 am

* Edited for forum rules compliance.

What types of jogging / walking exercise performance can 40+ year old men do that are 70lbs to 80lbs overweight, and have been sedentary most of their lives expect?

Clearly 5hour marathon times are out of the question. But what about a 10 minute mile? 12? 15?
Last edited by Dissolution on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dissolution

Re: What kind of performance should I expect?

Postby Lani Muelrath » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Dissolution,

Congratulations, first of all, for taking charge of your health in the most basic way we can - by what we eat. It sounds like you have made some amazing progress!

As far as advising you, however, I'm going to need to direct you to the forum guidelines:

Your question:
I would like to know, how much is my heart condition affecting me? Can sedentary 300Lbs people jog? How far behind the curve am I due to my heart condition? How much is just from eating SAD and being inactive?

Please remember...

1) Personal health & medical questions can not be answered in a public forum like this. If asked, I will not be able to respond to them. Questions about workouts, training, physical therapies, clarification on exercise " mythinformation", (new word!), etc., are welcome.

The guidelines in more depth can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26273

There is too much particular to your situation for me to be able to give you the answers to these questions. Hopefully your health care provider with whom you are working can assist you in appropriate physical training as your health improves.

Thanks for coming by and all the best of continued success. Keep us posted!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Dissolution » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:41 am

Original question rephrased, please see edited post, or just delete this entire thread if the question is still against forum rules.
Dissolution

Postby Lani Muelrath » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Dissolution wrote:Original question rephrased, please see edited post, or just delete this entire thread if the question is still against forum rules.

Posting is not against the rules, it's just answering that can't be done when asking for an exercise prescription.

Anything is possible, within reason. A 10 minute mile is pretty quick and for someone who is overweight and has been sedentary for a long time, it would be a pragmatic and careful training program upward.

When someone comes to me for training, I conduct a health history and ask for clearance from their health care provider that outline special considerations. From there, working up a cardio program, it would be a matter of resting heart rate, working heart rate and perceived exertion, all monitored and slowly progressed. And if someone had had serious health issues, a stress test would be in order before anything else.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Return to Exercise and Fitness