41, happy, and healthy

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

41, happy, and healthy

Postby vegAnn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:29 am

Last week I turned 41 and I am happier and healthier than ever thanks to a diet based on plants and whole grains. When I turned 40, I promised myself I would get healthy, but I had no idea how to make it last long-term (believe me when I say I've tried just about every diet out there). Six months ago I came upon this lifestyle by reading The China Study, which led me to Dr. McDougall and this website. It has saved me from the typical diet of deprivation and hunger by trying to cut down on the foods that were making me sick. Since then I have lost 30 pounds, and I now have a BMI in the normal range.

I had all the markers for the onset chronic and degenerative diseases and I didn't understand how to resolve my issues, but I was set on not turning to pills. Since I was a teenager I have been on the higher side of normal for blood pressure, and by adopting this lifestyle, my headaches have gone away, my blood pressure is under control, and I have loads of energy.

I am not someone who loves to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and this still works great for me. I try to cook one day a week and have found many foods that are quick, convenient, and not processed at my grocery store now that I am looking for them. I am enjoying food more than ever before and am so thankful for the years it is adding to my life!!

I have given up trying to explain my changes to friends and co-workers for all the reasons many people have mentioned in their posts, and I want to thank all the wonderful people who share your stories on this blog. I have read your posts for information and to feel like there are others out there who have the same vision for long term health through nutrition.
vegAnn

Re: 41, happy, and healthy

Postby toadfood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:12 am

Congratulations and happy birthday! Today is my 41st birthday. I still have a lot of weight to lose, but I'm feeling happy and healthy too! Yay us!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby RAS » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:29 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOADFOOD.! RAS
RAS

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 am

CONGRATS! :mrgreen:
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby kirstykay » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Congratulations for making a promise to yourself a year ago and keeping it! Wow! Great job!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Nettie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:30 am

Congratulations, vegAnn! Sometimes we just have to do it for ourselves, and for no other reason. Most of the population doesn't understand this way of eating, but we have to be brave enough to be different.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:27 am

Way to go. I have a question, what convenience foods have you found out there on the market. Except for basics used for cooking I haven't seen anything that is a convenient food. I make my own by having my own food cooked in adance, like you do. But sometimes I'd like something else. I just started an intensive course each weekend for the next 6 months, so something easy and different would be a nice change.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby vegAnn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Some of the convenient foods I've found:

Breakfast- Uncle Sam's cereal w/ unsweetened almond milk
Lunch- frozen brown rice from trader joe's w/ frozen corn and canned black beans & salsa (I just throw it all in plastic ware and go), corn tortillas, carrots w/ oil free hummus
Dinner- luna brand vege burger (oil free) and ezekial buns. I think the Dr. Praeter's vege burgers are good too, but they do contain some oil.

I often snack on the lundberg brown rice rice cakes. Also, I do treat myself to a smoothie w a banana, almond milk, and a bunch of spinach most days.

I make big pots of soup (I use Bob's Red Mill vege soup mix) or I make black bean soup and freeze it. I will also bake a bunch of sweet potatoes and eat them over the course of a few days.

So, not tons of variety, but all very satisfying.

I had absolutely the worst eating habits before switching to this lifestyle, mainly a terrible sweet tooth. That has pretty much disappeared, although I do go a little overboard on fruit sometimes, but it's way better than candy.

Hope this helps.
vegAnn

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Congratulations, sounds like you're doing great! :thumbsup:
Gramma Jackie

Postby carollynne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 pm

wow, and congrats!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories