Ketchup, BBQ sauce etc.

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ketchup, BBQ sauce etc.

Postby KrabbyKelly » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi, I'm very new here. Am I really allowed regular ketchup and BBQ sauce, or are there special ones I should get? Am I just looking at the added oils in them? I know the 2 brands I normally buy have some sugar in them, is that ok? I noticed on the free 12 day program, it lists ketchup and BBQ sauce on one of the recipes. Also, what is the official stance on stevia for this plan? I can't get the books until payday next week, so any advice is appreciated in advance!
KrabbyKelly

Re: Ketchup, BBQ sauce etc.

Postby MixedGrains » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 am

The official word on catsup can be found here: "There are many Barbeque Sauces and Catsups available that are compatible with the McDougall diet. Please check labels carefully and choose those that are low in sugar & salt and avoid any with added oil."

Bear in mind, however, that these things are supposed to be used as condiments -- if you like to slather huge amounts of them on your food, as I sometimes do, the sugar remains a concern, where it might not be if you were just spreading a tiny bit on something.

Also, "available" is a relative term depending on your location. I haven't found a single catsup or barbeque sauce that's low in sugar -- though I think they are available in health food stores at a large price.

My advice -- if all you've got is the standard Hunts/corn syrup brands -- would be to use them very sparingly, if at all. A teaspoon on your veggies, not a half-cup. Once you can find some low-sugar varieties, then it's just a vegetable sauce you can use freely.

The advanced advice -- not something I'd suggest when you're still just starting out and have lots of different stuff to think about -- is to make your own catsup. Just google for "catsup recipes" until you find one you like, then modify it by taking out all the oil (if any) and most of the sugar. I saw Jamie Oliver make a nice catsup on his show, so I Googled "Jamie Oliver catsup recipe" and used that for my starting point. Left out the oil, left out the two cups of brown sugar, used a bit of apple juice to saute the vegetable ingredients, and added one tablespoon of molasses at the end. It was delicious and as sweet as I would want.
MixedGrains

Postby KrabbyKelly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks for the advice! I forgot that several years ago I had to make homemade ketchup for my daughter who had a corn allergy-every commercial ketchup in my area had corn syrup and that can have trace amounts of the corn protein that she was allergic to. I'll have to dig out the recipe if I can find it, I'll share it if I have success with the sugar part. I only use small amounts anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge problem. I LOVE A-1 steak sauce on my baked potatoes, so that will be my answer to no butter for now until I wean myself off the A-1. I am a little nervous about removing margarine/butter from my veggies. I'll just have to play around and see what I come up with- maybe lemon pepper seasoning?
KrabbyKelly

Postby MixedGrains » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm currently using a splash of soy sauce and a dollop of my extra-flavorful (because I use a lot of spices) home-made catsup on my steamed veggies. Those two condiments sort of combine on my plate into a rich sauce. :D
MixedGrains

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:25 pm

If you like lemon pepper taste, at restaurants I'll often get a couple wedges of lemon and squeeze the juice on the potato and put a bunch of pepper.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Adrienne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Here is an easy recipe for ketchup that is sweetened with apple juice.

http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2011 ... e-ketchup/
Adrienne

Postby giddyupgin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Oh! thank you for the recipe link..
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Return to How to Begin