walking poles

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

walking poles

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 am

I have a feeling I've brought this up before, but it's been so long that I forgot. :lol:

Two years ago I got some walking poles for Christmas. It was what I wanted. It's suppose to be a great workout. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking-poles/AN01798

Has anyone tried them? I am still walking with a limp from the broken toe. I just got into a full shoe this week, and it was mainly forced due to the rain and cold. I was thinking of getting these out to learn to use since I'm not walking at my high paced clip.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Re: walking poles

Postby Starchyme » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Never used them, but the physical therapist felt they were great. Wanted me to get a set for balance. At NAVS, I was going to try the one's John sells; but never had the chance. Let us know if you do use them what your take is on them.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 pm

I see an elderly couple in our town using these periodically. The two people look fit but are overweight. They go along at a good clip too!

I was going to ask about these here just the other day and forgot.

Have you used yours, Faith?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:01 am

I only tried them once. You have to get them adjusted just right, and I was having problems. It's suppose to give a good upper body workout once you get use to how to use them. I kept trying to use them like a hiking stick, which you don't do.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Starchyme » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 am

OK, maybe I was confused as to which one the physical therapist wanted me to get. I think it may have been a walking stick for good balance going up hills. But I've seen people with the two ski-like poles who walk very rapidly on the track. So, I guess that would also be good. Ya think?
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Chile » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:30 pm

I've used "trekking poles" while hiking and really like them. They do give you a good upper body workout and help secure footing on uneven terrain. Very helpful going uphill as well as downhill. For hiking, they have a sharpish point at the bottom to dig into dirt. For use on paved surfaces, they have a rubber boot that fits over the bottoms. Works well unless your "better half" loses one of the covers...
Chile

Postby Starchyme » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:34 pm

So, Chile is the 'trekking' pole one or two and does one look like a huge cane vs the other (2) ski poles? They are the ones I've seen people speeding while using.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Looks like a pair of ski poles.
Chile

Postby Starchyme » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks. That's what I was wanting to purchase. I think that will give me the best balance and also, from how I see the folks walk with them, it'll pep up my step.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby AdventureBuddies » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:41 pm

There are so many benefits to using poles. It's important to use them OPTIMALLY.

Optimal use provides improved endurance and upper body strength and spine health. It's the ultimate exercise because you can use your whole body while you're outside, connecting with your buddies. Much more fun than the gym.

We have tons of info on our blog: http://www.AdventureBuddies.net/blog - click on the DVD updates section for lots of info.

We teach people how to use poles for hiking, for walking/exercise AND for achieving and maintaining mobility. For people who need them for mobility, they also improve gait, posture and balance.
AdventureBuddies

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:22 pm

I wish there was some lessons or something around here. What I'm talking about is for exercise and sometimes called Nordic track or nordic poles. They are nice and one piece, but expensive. I got REI poles which are adjustable. That is one problem I'm having is getting them adjusted and staying that way. I got the rubber feet on the bottom since I walk in the road/sidewalk.

I think it will still help you with balance. That is one reason I was thinking of them also, was hoping Mom could use them. She won't walk outside due to the terrain.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Starchyme » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:26 pm

I think that's what my Physical Therapist was talking about, since she wanted it to help with my balance when I walk, espcially hills. They seem to stabilize better than just the one cane that looks like what the biblical shepards used. In fact, the first I saw of them years ago was a guy with a grey beard coming up a hill from the other side. I truly thought I was having an out of body experience and being transported back to biblical days. I got so excited!!!! LOL
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 pm

LOL that would make you wonder.

One reason I got them was to maybe help Mom with her walking. The feet are large on the bottom of the poles so slipping should be hard. It's also kind of bouncy so fun when you get going. It took me an adjustment period to get the arms and legs coordinated. I'm not naturally really coordinated.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Starchyme » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:10 pm

All I saw was people on the track walking with them as if they were skiing. Going quite at a rapid pace. I guess I'll check with the therapist first to make sure which one she meant. I hope you use yours and get a lot of enjoyment out of them.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Return to Exercise and Fitness