lets make taking exercise harder

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

lets make taking exercise harder

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:50 am

I find it strange that the blood pressure tablets I was on have side-effects which make it harder to take exercise (swollen feet, balance problems, pains in legs) ... do they assume that if you are chubby you aren't taking exercise and that something which "may" be suitable for a not very active older person is suitable for a younger person? Leaving aside the issue of whether we should actually be encouraging older people to take exercise do they perhaps just do it because it's cheap (amlodipine) ? My GP completely ignored the side effects I was having ... strange ...
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: lets make taking exercise harder

Postby pinkrose » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 am

Sorry about these serious side effects and your MD's lack of concern, Katherine! Please be especially careful in regard to your balance problems. Rise slowly and avoid over reaching.

I hope this will strengthen your resolve to fix yourself!!! Maybe you will soon be able to reduce or omit this med.

Please keep us posted on your progress! :-D
pinkrose

Postby somnolent » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 am

That's a good point, KatherineUK! I bet some doctors are not aware that they are starting people on a downward spiral by giving them medications that will make it harder to exercise. I guess that is just more evidence that it is better to treat hypertension with diet!
somnolent

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm

It's a situation I haven't fully resolved Pink. I had to stop taking my medication because my GP refused to change me to other meds or even to discuss with me how to assess the effectiveness of my lifestyle changes. I was truly frightened and only when I finally stopped taking the meds did I realise quite how much they had affected me. 3 days after coming off totally (after 6 weeks of gradual reduction) I went out for a bike ride and was able to indicate properly without thinking about it. I also felt as if the world was in colour again so I guess I had been a bit depressed too.

I monitor my BP and am going to make an appt to see another GP soonish to discuss the readings. I have cysts on my kidneys which I'mtold elevate my BP. The renal clinic seem happy with my weight loss and lifestyle changes.

I don't rec. what I did to anyone - it's much better to discuss things with your GP. At least now though if they want meto try other meds I can start straight away.

I'll report back on this when I've seen the doc.
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:30 pm

It took me some time to finally pluck up the courage to see a different GP. I found it quite to walk into the surgery and say well even though your colleague said I mustn't I have stopped taking the medication she prescribed. The new (younger) one has referred me for 24 hour monitoring before she makes any decision, which I'm glad about. I have concurrently had a series of appointments at the renal clinic to check that the cysts on my kidneys weren't cancerous and all is well they say with regard to this. They say my kidneys are working extremely well and when I discussed the issue of BP they said that perhaps a low dose of water tablet might be all that was needed.

I'm now waiting for my appt for 24 hour monitoring.

However in the meantime I've stopped drinking coffe and it "seems" to have made what seems to be an incredible difference to my blood pressure. I just thought I'd give it a try because I was aware that my intake was creeping up and very aware of the discussions here on the subject.

To my astonishment my BP has seen a remarkable change. From a systolic reading of 140 odd I now have a range from 118 - 130 tops. On the days I cycle to and from work it's the best (12 miles round trip not terribly strenuous - only 3 smallish hills. Mind you they don't seem SO small after a day's work!). I try to do this at least twice a week. I'd do it more often but I get aching shoulders and arms a bit. Might actually get a new sit-up-and-beg type of less macho bike. On the days I don't cycle I have a 2 mile walk incorporated into the tube journey home - weather permitting.

I'm so glad I gave up the coffee though I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it. Still if I can give up smoking I can give up coffee can't I? The lure of being drug free is utterly irrisistible. Haven't yet found a really nice substitute though some are bearable.

I'll let you know what happens with the 24 hour monitoring. The appt isn't until the 11th April so it gives me a few more weeks to consolidate the cessation of coffee as well as the other McD habits.

Any thoughts on the subject very gratefully received.

Cheers - have a great weekend

K

KatherineUK

Postby TerriT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Good for you in having the courage to ask for another doctor. And I bet they would rather know if you had stopped taking the medicine they prescribed than not ... I'm sure LOTS of people stop taking medication because of side-effects, and doctors would probably always prefer to be informed about it even if they don't agree!

I gave up coffee a year ago and found it difficult at first. It was the 2nd time I'd given it up (went for a year and a half without it the first time) so I should have known better than to slip into the habit again. I've drunk Teechino in the past (it's available in some health food stores in London, like the chain Revital) and it satisfies some of the coffee ritual yearnings, ie you can make it in a cafetiere. I remember liking it but haven't really gone back to it this time around. It took maybe 6 months for my coffee cravings to go away. I drank green tea for awhile but now I usually just have herbal teas or roibos. The thing I love best about being coffee free is waking up without a fog over my brain because I need my morning shot of caffeine!
TerriT

Postby serenity » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for posting about the coffee. I've read other posts on the topic with interest too, and am well aware that I should give it up. Maybe listening to all you kind folks will eventually get me to actually do it. :)
serenity

Return to Health Issues