Green Smoothies

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Green Smoothies

Postby RawDad » Thu May 26, 2011 7:15 am

Jeff,

Others have mentioned there has been some discussion regarding smoothies - I cannot seem to find something directly pertaining to them.

I have been drinking them for a couple years now... are they a problem. I seem to feel good after drinking them... am curious to know what you folks have found.

Nutritionally.. If I compare my green smoothie bfast with one of oatmeal with berries the smoothie is far superior. This of course discounts any ill effects of the blending...
RawDad

Re: Green Smoothies

Postby JeffN » Thu May 26, 2011 8:35 am

Not recommended.

Do a search on smoothies, blending, chewing, etc in this forum.

The issue is not the occasional smoothie as the issue is not the occasional anything. The issue is this misguided focus on smoothies and especially green smoothies as an essential part of the program.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby RawDad » Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks Jeff. I found a video of yours that explains how satiety is altered - and have to agree with that.

I like the things to help me get more nutrients. Calorie wise.. my very large smoothie bfast is 557 calories with 25g of fiber (including 1 lb of raw greens) and holds me fine through the am to lunch time.

I was more concerned about the nutrients....

I guess if cooking is not considered damaging... neither is blending (from a nutrient perspective)?

BTW... thx for the advice on food volume - today I ate much less and feel better... (I have been a "food wolfer" for years.. am practicing slowing down and chewing completely)...
RawDad

Postby JeffN » Thu May 26, 2011 6:11 pm

RawDad wrote:Thanks Jeff.

You are welcome :)

RawDad wrote:I was more concerned about the nutrients....

What nutrients and why?

The diet as is, is more than adequate and, as is, it produces the longest lived healthiest populations on the earth.

Why would you think, "more" is "better.

This is what I mean by the misguided focus/philosophies that are not accurate.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby RawDad » Thu May 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Thx for the reply...

I like the green smoothies.. have kinda gotten hooked on them and I prefer them for bfast.. they seem to clear my head & chest... (not sure why.. but they make me feel good)...

More is not better understood. I originally added all those greens on the 80 10 10 diet.. I guess I can tone them down a bit now.

Is the MJ concern with them associated with satiety and appetite ?
RawDad

Postby RawDad » Thu May 26, 2011 6:42 pm

oh.. and the nutrients... are they somehow adversely affected by blending ??
RawDad

Postby tanawana » Fri May 27, 2011 11:36 am

JeffN wrote:
tanawana wrote:Whole foods are preferred by most, but Green Smoothies are fine.

Not recommended.

The issue is not the occasional smoothie as the issue is not the occasional anything. The issue is this misguided focus on smoothies and especially green smoothies as an essential part of the program.

In Health
Jeff

Hmmm, I meant Green smoothies are fine, but not a required part of any program or not needed or suggested to consume on a regular basis. Rawdad I assumed(wrongly perhaps) is trying to converge or swaying between a raw way of eating and a McDougall way, so it made sense in my head but got misread :(
tanawana

Postby JeffN » Fri May 27, 2011 11:51 am

tanawana wrote:
JeffN wrote:
tanawana wrote:Whole foods are preferred by most, but Green Smoothies are fine.

Not recommended.

In Health
Jeff

Hmmm, I meant Green smoothies are fine, but not a required part of any program or not needed or suggested to consume on a regular basis. Rawdad I assumed(wrongly perhaps) is trying to converge or swaying between a raw way of eating and a McDougall way, so it made sense in my head but got misread :(

No problem but I would still disagree.

If they are "fine" then why have we never served them or taught them in any of our programs? There is not one recipe in any of the Newsletters or books for even one green smoothie.

Again, its the misguided philosophy that is the main issue.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby tanawana » Fri May 27, 2011 12:08 pm

sigh, I meant fine by what I assumed he was trying to accomplish. And by adhering to Raw food thoughts he was fine by their mindset. Didn't say I agreed with it, and again assumed, he knew, the green smoothie approach is not part of McDougall. If this makes sense great, if not, I'll quit while behind now :(
tanawana

Postby veggielou » Fri May 27, 2011 12:16 pm

I still have a hard time figuring out how so many can say they follow this eating plan but still drink green smoothies. Guess I just have a hard head.
veggielou

Postby JeffN » Fri May 27, 2011 12:19 pm

tanawana wrote:sigh, I meant fine by what I assumed he was trying to accomplish.

His original question was whether they were "good." It was asked here in my forum on the McDougall board. I can't think of any perspective to someone who does not have swallowing and/or chewing difficulties where I would call them "good."

tanawana wrote:And by adhering to Raw food thoughts he was fine by their mindset.

This is part of the problem. Many who come from the "raw food" world have their mind full of ideas that are just flat out wrong and a misguided mindset.

My goal and responsibility is to help point people in the right direction and not to help continue or reinforce any misguided perceptions/mindsets.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm

veggielou wrote:I still have a hard time figuring out how so many can say they follow this eating plan but still drink green smoothies. Guess I just have a hard head.

This is more of the "mindset" issue that is a problem.

The perspective of "getting away with" may only be short term, as often the impact of these items do not show up till down the road.

I just had a l/t following of these plans who joined the craze and switched to a smoothie every morning which he thought was harmless till a few weeks later his TG's shot up. Soon as we removed them, his numbers went down to normal.

However, the real issue is not really what people can get away with, but what will help bring them optimal health.

So, yes, many still say the follow this plan but choose to consume eggs, dairy, animal protein, oil, white flour, etc. However, I would recommend not spending too much time trying to figure out how much you can get away with but instead, focus on getting things right that are recommended.

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby tanawana » Fri May 27, 2011 12:51 pm

JeffN wrote:My goal and responsibility is to help point people in the right direction and not to help continue or reinforce any misguided perceptions/mindsets.

In Health
Jeff

Agreed and this is why I should have said everything differently. My bad.
tanawana

Postby JeffN » Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 pm

tanawana wrote:
JeffN wrote:My goal and responsibility is to help point people in the right direction and not to help continue or reinforce any misguided perceptions/mindsets.

In Health
Jeff

Agreed and this is why I should have said everything differently. My bad.

Thanks

And you are forgiven :)
JeffN

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD