Optimal Health Journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Optimal Health Journey

Postby StarchBeet » Mon May 09, 2011 9:52 am

We were busy all weekend doing gardening, yard work and chores; as well as my usual kitchen marathons.

The kids gave me four beautiful hanging flowers.

I made Colorful Coleslaw (added radishes, yellow peppers, methi leaves and some chinese broccoli) and Julies Black Bean Torta on mothers day. That Torta is impressive looking and those finely chopped veggies were so worth it. I cut all morning long between the coleslaw and torta.

Saturday I made Mexican Layered Casserole and Lentil Sloppy Joes.

We got two gardening boxes in but I still have to get those plants into the boxes (after I fill them with dirt!!) and I need to add some soil and food for the other boxes and plant stands to get these seedlings into the ground as soon as possible.

We brought out the hibiscus that blooms so nicely and its happy to be in the sun. I hope I don't shock it with full sun today. The clematis is blooming so bright and large and the orchids have 5 blooms and about 10 more buds opening! I have about 6 different herbs I have to get into containers and in good places for them to grow, also.

This week is supposed to be like the Spring I am familiar with. I will be so happy if that is what happens. I'll walk if I can today but my muscles are sore from trimming, using the chain saw and pushing the mower over half the yard.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 am

I found out yesterday afternoon about the Forks Over Knives showing at the AFI in town and I managed to get help so I could go. What a treat!!! They had great vegan snacks and had a raffle.

I sat around with people talking to Rip about how they help spread "plant strong" eating and got to talk with him and others.

The longest serving woman in our state legislature, Ida Rubin, (and a lot of her family!!)showed up at the film. She lives around the block from me. She lost the last election, so I asked how she'd been. She spoke about her daughter-in-law doing this "vegan" (crazy!!!) thing. She said she was surprised about some of the information in Forks Over Knives. I told her that she's welcome to come over any time and have a meal with me. :lol:

Before the show, I walked around town (the latest development was probably partially Ida Rubin's doing) and got a copy of Engine 2 Diet and after the movie I had Rip sign it. Rip attracted a wide range of interesting people.

I met athletes that showed some of their strength on some videos. They gave me examples of what life is like being healthy, beyond losing extra pounds and simply maintaining. They were about rocking life, keeping strong and active. So maybe it will keep me focused on the Seagull Century bike ride (I did it heavier weight than I am now, but I did hurt my knee), walking and keeping active. I have to get my DARN CD player fixed. It's stuck closed with my yoga CD in it :crybaby:

This week was so busy! The weather is just perfect Spring weather. We will have at least one week of Spring and that's a super thing. I've been up early every day this week. I'm slowly weaning from not sleeping and not wanting to get up every morning. I do love the perfect weather!

I was going to make some kale chips that this great nutritionist told me about last night, but I used up the cashew nuts making mock cheese and mac last night. I think I'll go to the store and get some more right now. I want to try that dried kale chip with mock cheese recipe.

I'll get to meal plans and get some potatoes in the pot to boil when I return.

While chatting online I already had to address two people who believe the protein myth. They thought I was angry. I told them I'm mad at the misinformation we are burdened with but I only wish everyone health and happiness.

Since this journal is not turning out to be the place I record my daily eating...I dunno if I should do it in a book or just do it when or if I lose my focus.

B: Bagel 6 am
S: Oatmeal 9 am
L: Plate of mixed greens with tabbouleh and garbanzo's(taken up a notch with various vegetables)
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Fri May 13, 2011 5:13 pm

B: Hash browns with kale, banana
S: boiled red potatoes
L: potatoes on greens with mock cheese sauce
S: Kale slowly roasted with mock cheese sauce

So I tried to make the cheesy kale chips today. Unfortunately my oven only cooks at 175. I don't have a dehydrator. Well I slowly cooked the 6 kale leaves that I'd dipped into mock cheese for several hours. Some leaves became perfect combo of topping and crunch. Some were more crunchy, others less. I have to work on this to get it right. I'll look around for a dehydrator too.

I actually got the plants into the two raised beds and the tomatoes in the one planter this morning. Now i have to work on the last two beds sometime next week. We will have rain for 4 or 5 days starting tonight.

Omg, its weigh in day. I think I've stayed the same this week. Oh great, the scale adjuster was turned and I had it calibrated with an electronic scale.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm

B: Hash brown potatoes
L: Oatmeal with horchada (rice/cinnamon drink)
D: Tiffanie's black beans, rice, and collard greens

Hats off to Tiffany for the nice collard green and black-eye peas recipe in this months newsletter. I never made fresh black-eyed peas before, or collards!! I really enjoyed it. My son gave the thumbs up too.

I have my kale, arugula, mixed greens and collards for the week. I'll make some salads and I have to focus on sweet potatoes tomorrow. I'll do boiled red potatoes Tuesday. I'll use the rest of Chinese greens stir fry for dinner tomorrow and we'll eat the left over black beans the next day.

I love feeling healthy! Dr. McDougall and Mary rock!!
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 am

Garden is coming along. So is composting.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28585497@N ... 734989668/

Here are pictures of some of the dishes I've made:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28585497@N ... 631038242/

B: hash browns with kale on a plate of arugula
L: Large plate of greens and veggies with lemon, lime and rice vinegar
S: sweet potato fries
D: Stir fried Chinese greens and sweet potato starch noodles

So I had to update my ideal weight. I guess it doesn't matter since I'm doing what I can to be healthy. But adding more time is a test in patience or a testament to how bad this society makes your health, or both.

I'll get there someday and I do feel good having lost about 60 pounds so it will only get better.
Last edited by StarchBeet on Tue May 17, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue May 17, 2011 6:22 am

I've downloaded the Cron o meter for the fun of it.
http://spaz.ca/cronometer/

Watching that great talk from the Hawaii Society of Vegetarianism, by Mike, encouraged me to play around with it. I enjoyed the talk. Wow Hawaii rocks and I'd love to move there.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22297

B: Kale and potatoes on bed of arugula
L: Large bowl of salad with lemon/lime ; plate of black-eyed peas/rice/collards on potatoes
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed May 18, 2011 1:31 pm

B: bowl of raspberries and blueberries after freeze-dried strawberries
L: "beefsteak" sweet potato fries
D: salad with lettuces, fennel, cukes, peppers, tomatoes, radishes with lime/garlic dressing and Pad Thai McDougall cup soup

I have to create some salads. I have bits an pieces of ideas in my head and I can't bring an idea together to know what I will make.

I wanted to look in engine2 book for some quinoa salad and I wanted to make the fennel salad I made months ago but I know i don't have mango. Maybe I can use frozen mango to create a sauce. I'll go find rips book to see if the quinoa is a "go".
Last edited by StarchBeet on Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed May 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi carrol...well I just used what I had but I did create a cool dressing.

I used three types of lettuce (petite Oak, Tango and Gem) diced cucumbers, chives, yellow peppers, grated fennel, grape tomatoes and diced radishes. I was going to add some beans but since I'm still needing weight loss I skipped them. So, I have a Vitamix I decided to make a dressing with the entire lime, juice of couple lemons, agave, 5 garlic cloves, rice vinegar, some white miso and some nutritional yeast and some water. Wow, I loved the dressing. After reading about Ponzu and not finding it at whole foods, as vegan, I just put this together. Oops I better take a picture of what's left!

Now that Im not hungry I can make another salad using a recipe. I wish I was as creative as you Carroll and just threw things together so well. I never thought of grating a raw beet. Thanks for your good ideas!

StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed May 18, 2011 6:41 pm

carroll, you're still inspirational to me. So many on this site help in so many ways.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Thu May 19, 2011 7:45 am

B: chopped potatoes and kale
S: oatmeal
L: potatoes, blueberries, salad

I need to make this a book day. Take books back to the library or recheck a few and make some recipe plans then pick up a few things.

I planted a few more seedlings yesterday. I would like to plant the sunflowers (mammoth and dwarfs). This weekend I'll get the tomatoes, peppers and corn in the ground.

I need to pick up some tomato cages and protect the box from the dog. I need enough for tomatoes and staking up plants too (sticks and cages). The wind has been so furious in the past few years that I need to try to keep plants up and protect them.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Fri May 20, 2011 7:00 pm

B: small bowl of leftover steel cut oatmeal
L: couple hand fulls of grapes
D: large plate of arugula topped with red quinoa salad (yellow peppers, tomatoes, etc)

So busy today that I didn't get to eat anything till about 3:30

I woke up at 4 am and I'm beat.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 am

B: A bowl of strawberries, blueberries, grapes
L: bowl of ratatouille and rice
S: Slice of Julie's black-bean Torta, grapes
It was so hot that I didn't make anything I just ate more grapes!

Great weather on the weekend; great food and great things to do also made for a wonderfully fulfilling weekend.

On a sad note my garden didn't get finished. Hopefully by the weeks end I'll figure it out.

I made some beautiful things this weekend. I started with Rips Lemon pancakes on Saturday. On Sunday I made this super potatoes O'Brien breakfast with onions, green and red peppers, mushrooms, kale and then sat the dish on arugula.

For lunch I made a great Ratatouille with spinach and a side of collards that are in the current Newsletter. For dinner on Sunday I made Jule's Black-bean Torta again. I used different vegetables and a flour tortilla on the bottom. Next time I will make it with all flour tortillas. I used up the corn tortillas.

My arms are sore from gardening, chopping and cleaning. I need to rest.
Last edited by StarchBeet on Tue May 24, 2011 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Mon May 23, 2011 9:59 am

I've committed to walking my old dog as much as possible. I need to care for myself in the same manner. We have walked for a couple weeks now. Today our walk felt great. I could walk easily where it was challenging up the hills before.

You can't go wrong following frozenVeg! I'm borrowing her hard work: TYVM

Maximum Weight Loss for Maximum Health
Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

Guidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied
2. Graze
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety

Weight-Losing Reasons to Exercise. MWL book, page 100.
1. Exercise burns calories
2. Calories continue to burn after exercise
3. Exercise counteracts plateaus
4. Exercise suppresses appetite
5. Exercise reduces insulin
6. Exercise protects and increases muscle mass

Exercise you can live with. MWL book, page 106-107
Aerobics:
The best kind of exercise. Walking, running, cycling, & swimming are not only enjoyable but highly efficient ways to lose weight.

Benefits of weight training:
Build a stronger body
Build a shapelier body
Strengthen ligaments
Improve bone density
Help prevent musculoskeletal injury
Elevate metabolism
Increase stamina
Elevate blood levels of HDL cholesterol

Your New Daily Exercise Plan: MWL Book Page 109
1. Get up half an hour earlier each day, or skip a TV program to do a specific exercise.
2. Make exercise a part of each day.
3. Choose an activity that you have always enjoyed and do it at least four times per week
4. Sometimes purchasing equipment helps to motivate…
5. Invest in a membership in a YMCA, YWCA, or health and fitness club
6. Ask a friend to become your exercise partner
7. Go dancing, a great aerobic (and romantic) exercise
8. Join a walking or hiking club.
9. Check with your local adult-education program for exercise programs.
10. Keep an exercise journal.

Be Plant Strong and Move all along!
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue May 24, 2011 5:57 am

Recipes at a Click:

MWL Recipes

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10076

Updated this weekends meals:

I just finished the two garden boxes (or have the plants in)as well as the hanging veggie planter. WOW I am tired!!!!! That's intense work in the sun and 85 degrees.

B: Potatoes with veggies
L: Julie's Black-bean Torta
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed May 25, 2011 6:11 am

Positive Feedback loops are dangerous things.

I couldn't cool down yesterday after working too hard trying to get the veggies in the ground and not wearing a hat, etc. etc. It was about 86 degrees. I started getting a headache about 9 pm after I'd showered, drank and laid down with a frozen bag of potatoes and stayed in the cool basement. I finally made some chocolate cherry ice cream and drank some more ice water before getting to sleep. I also had to turn on the AC.

Today I'm still feeling the furnace burning within. I went out to water early, came in and drank ice water. Maybe I'll chop some cucumber and veggies and make some quinoa salad for breakfast instead of cooked potatoes. I ate the rest of the boiled potatoes yesterday.

That was a scary feeling. My eyes were red, swollen and my neck and head were very hot. I still feel the heat today but the air conditioner is keeping me cooling off.

Rest is the operative word today.
StarchBeet

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals