Egg Cravings

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Egg Cravings

Postby peaceridge » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am

I am certainly not advocating eating eggs. However, I met a couple of long-term (12 yr) low-fat vegans this w/e (I'm also long term - maybe 15 yrs) and, as we got to talking, 2 of us are having egg cravings every 2 or 3 of months. After eating several, the craving goes away until the next time. What are we missing? - I know it is not protein. I take TwinLab vegetarian B-12 dots from whole foods, so it shouldn't be that. I had just figured it was some sort of subconscious thing with me, but to have another person with the same problem? Any ideas?

FYI - out of the 11 women attending, 3 of us were normal weight - not overweight nor obese. All 3 of us were low fat vegans. The other 8 kept talking about losing weight, but when we informed them how we do it - no deal - most started with "Oh, well, I...". Sigh.
peaceridge

Re: Egg Cravings

Postby ETeSelle » Thu May 12, 2011 1:27 pm

You're not "missing" anything, LOL. You just like eggs, want them, and give into the craving. Every time you do that you increase the time that it will take to get over the craving. :) Just don't give in and eventually you will no longer want them.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby peaceridge » Thu May 12, 2011 2:55 pm

ETeSelle wrote:You're not "missing" anything, LOL. You just like eggs, want them, and give into the craving. Every time you do that you increase the time that it will take to get over the craving. :) Just don't give in and eventually you will no longer want them.

Thanks, that is what I originally thought - it was just strange that I met another vegan with the same cravings. BTW, before I became vegan I did not like eggs at all - perhaps my subconsciousness thinks eggs the least bad craving lol.
peaceridge

Postby Steelhead » Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 pm

peaceridge wrote:
ETeSelle wrote:You're not "missing" anything, LOL. You just like eggs, want them, and give into the craving. Every time you do that you increase the time that it will take to get over the craving. :) Just don't give in and eventually you will no longer want them.

Thanks, that is what I originally thought - it was just strange that I met another vegan with the same cravings. BTW, before I became vegan I did not like eggs at all - perhaps my subconsciousness thinks eggs the least bad craving lol.

Not that I believe this, but it could be that you need more of the vitamins and minerals found in eggs -- that you can get from plants -- if you want to go with your subconscious metaphysical idea. :-)
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby Dan Rivera » Fri May 13, 2011 9:34 pm

It was choline, for me. Since supplementing with soy lecithin I don't have a lot of the problems I used to. I also had some nerve issues that cleared right up. Might be worth getting a blood test for if you believe in the deficiency=craving theory.....
Dan Rivera

Postby peaceridge » Sat May 14, 2011 5:58 am

Dan Rivera wrote:It was choline, for me. Since supplementing with soy lecithin I don't have a lot of the problems I used to. I also had some nerve issues that cleared right up. Might be worth getting a blood test for if you believe in the deficiency=craving theory.....

I hadn't thought of choline (I have a some nerve issues also from an old injury) - I'll give it a try and see what happens - thanks so much!
peaceridge

Postby landog » Sat May 14, 2011 6:32 am

peaceridge wrote:
Dan Rivera wrote:It was choline, for me. Since supplementing with soy lecithin I don't have a lot of the problems I used to. I also had some nerve issues that cleared right up. Might be worth getting a blood test for if you believe in the deficiency=craving theory.....

I hadn't thought of choline (I have a some nerve issues also from an old injury) - I'll give it a try and see what happens - thanks so much!
If I follow this correctly, you intend to start taking a supplement on the basis of one post in a web forum??
How ironic that it is Jeff Novick's forum...
Jeff Novick - on more than on occasion - wrote:I do not recommend the general and/or random use of any supplement, supplements without informed consent, supplementation without a clearly established need that has been established in the context of a professional evaluation from a competent healthcare professional or any supplement that is sold through an MLM company or from the healthcare professional recommending them.

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 am

Pica is the name of that food craving disorder but it is about eating "non-nutritive" things like chalk, cigarette butts, dirt, etc.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby peaceridge » Sun May 15, 2011 7:16 am

landog wrote:
peaceridge wrote:

If I follow this correctly, you intend to start taking a supplement on the basis of one post in a web forum??
How ironic that it is Jeff Novick's forum...
Jeff Novick - on more than on occasion - wrote:I do not recommend the general and/or random use of any supplement, supplements without informed consent, supplementation without a clearly established need that has been established in the context of a professional evaluation from a competent healthcare professional or any supplement that is sold through an MLM company or from the healthcare professional recommending them.

Be well,
-dog

I do have an extensive nutrition background, and know about supplementation, but it is good you mention this as not everyone does. Also, it is a good reminder to me, as it has been some years since I was "up" on the subject. I have been following the advice of no supplementation other than B12 for a number of years, but this was so bizarre that I thought Jeff might have another take. And I did research after Choline was mentioned. A trial of soy lecithin for a short period when the cravings start will not hurt me, as I'm in excellent health. If it works great, if not then I'm not in any worse shape and I can stop the supplement.
peaceridge

Return to Jeff Novick, RD