Brendan Brazier

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Brendan Brazier

Postby bcmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:26 am

The vegan triathlete had a lecture book signing in nyc. He also has a line of powders, energy bars, etc. What i can never wrap my arms around, (and Jeff has convinced me a few times) In one of his products (Vega, natural plant based whole food health optimize) He states-1 serving equals (basically a scoop or 2 of powder)
vit E-equal to 23 cups spinach
protein-= to 4 eggs
iron-= to 29 oz. beef
fiber-= to 7 slices whole wheat bread
antioxidants-= to 1 cup blueberries
chlorophyll-= to 1 head lettuce
probiotics-= to 100 g probiotic yougurt
calcium-= to 5 cups milk
potassium-= to 6 banana's
omega 3's-= to 6 oz. wild salmon
plus 100% daily vitamins and minerals, just add water and shake it up--How can it be ???All that in 1 serving of a powder ? Yet, how can he state it if it is not true ??
bcmike

Re: Brendan Brazier

Postby veggiegal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:08 am

I really love his message and he has a great line of vegan/healthy products but WOW they are expensive. I think he alienates too many people by charged more than almost any other product and if a meat eater is interested in eating healthier and using supplements they would avoid his just because of the price.
veggiegal

Postby f1jim » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:40 am

I wish energy bars, powders, pills, etc really were the fountain of health they are portrayed to be. If they were I would have been the healthiest guy on the planet. They will never replace healthy, whole foods as the optimum fuel for the human body. They are, however, a lucrative source of income.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:53 pm

As a triathlete, I find Brendan Brazier very motivating, but nutritionally he does not fit in with McD's guidelines. He eats vegan, but not low fat. He even puts oil in his smoothies! :shock: He also eats mostly raw, thinking that it is more nutritious. His Vega powder was created to replicate his recovery smoothie from home that evolved over time. It is expensive because the organic, raw ingredients are very expensive. While I have tried it and like it, it is no magic bullet, and does not add much to healthy diet. You can skip this one, and you'll be fine.
vgpedlr

Postby bcmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:07 pm

Yep, i know he uses oil, and have no intention to follow his guidelines.
My original question still stands, --How the heck does he get all that's listed in a couple of scoops of powder ??
bcmike

Postby afreespirit » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:16 pm

bcmike wrote:How the heck does he get all that's listed in a couple of scoops of powder ??
Not to be disrespectful, but who cares? :-P
afreespirit

Postby bcmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:26 pm

I do, and i guess you don't know the amswer.
bcmike

Postby f1jim » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Why not write to him?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby bcmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Nice idea Jim, thanks.
bcmike

Postby afreespirit » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:09 pm

My apologies, bcmike--no intention to offend. :-(
afreespirit

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Dr McDougall has a good one in one of his dvds....take one of his imaginary pills everyday until his mortgage is paid off...and the more expensive one adds one flaxseed to it.....lol!

Just eat REAL FOOD! :D :D :D :D
ncyg46

Postby Katydid » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:52 pm

The information listed above is a bit sneaky. The vitamin E may be the equivalent of that found in 23 cups of spinach, but its just purified vitamin E that's been added to the powder. The Omega 3 comes from hemp protein and ground flaxseed not salmon, the chlorophyll from algae, etc. You can see just how processed VEGA really is by reading the ingredient list. Here is an example:

Chocolate flavor ingredients: Organic hemp protein (pesticide free), yellow pea protein (non-GMO), natural chocolate flavour, whole flax seed (micro-milled), organic brown rice protein (certified organic), fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), ChlorEssence (high CGF chlorella), MacaSure (certified organic gelatinized maca), potassium phosphate, xanthan gum, calcium phosphate, digestive enzyme blend, magnesium HVP chelate, stevia leaf, ORAC 800+ mixed berry complex (wild blueberry, blueberry, black raspberry, luo han gao fruit extract, cranberry juice extract, grapefruit juice extract, marion berry, boysenberry, blackberry, grape extract), sodium chloride, probiotic blend (L.acidophilus/B.bifidum), iron HVP chelate, zinc HVP chelate, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), molybdenum HVP chelate, manganese HVP chelate, vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), copper HVP chelate, potassium iodide, biotin, vitamin A (palmitate), selenium HVP chelate, calcium D-pantothenate, vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), chromium HVP chelate, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamine hydrochloride), folic acid, vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).

Hardly a unprocessed raw food green smoothie. Not necessarily bad, but its made in a lab not in a kitchen.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby bcmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Kate,
Thanks for the reply. Not disputing the fact that it is processed (Jeff set me straight on that a while ago) I am just amazed as how they could cram so much in a scoop or 2 of powder. My breakfast of choice is :
lactino kale (or broccoli-spinach-or a combo)
fresh flaxseeds
clove garlic
1" fresh ginger
piece avocado
small piece habanero (optional)
i flavor it with 1/2 scoop brown rice-pea protein powder. Mix it up in my vita-mix and pour it over some oatmeal or quinoa or brown rice, some berries and seeds or nuts. Do i think it is healthier for me than vega --surely, but it doesn't have all that is in vega. That is what makes me dizzy :o)
bcmike

Postby Steelhead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:56 am

It's the same as the cereal advertisements that show how one bowl of cereal has the equivalent of 25 bowls of another cereal. In Vega it is loaded with vitamins and minerals, along with plant protein. So basically if you took three or four multivitamins along with some pea-rice protein supplement you would have all the nutrients claimed in Vega. It's that simple.
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Katydid wrote:The information listed above is a bit sneaky. The vitamin E may be the equivalent of that found in 23 cups of spinach, but its just purified vitamin E that's been added to the powder. The Omega 3 comes from hemp protein and ground flaxseed not salmon, the chlorophyll from algae, etc. You can see just how processed VEGA really is by reading the ingredient list. Here is an example:

Chocolate flavor ingredients: Organic hemp protein (pesticide free), yellow pea protein (non-GMO), natural chocolate flavour, whole flax seed (micro-milled), organic brown rice protein (certified organic), fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), ChlorEssence (high CGF chlorella), MacaSure (certified organic gelatinized maca), potassium phosphate, xanthan gum, calcium phosphate, digestive enzyme blend, magnesium HVP chelate, stevia leaf, ORAC 800+ mixed berry complex (wild blueberry, blueberry, black raspberry, luo han gao fruit extract, cranberry juice extract, grapefruit juice extract, marion berry, boysenberry, blackberry, grape extract), sodium chloride, probiotic blend (L.acidophilus/B.bifidum), iron HVP chelate, zinc HVP chelate, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), molybdenum HVP chelate, manganese HVP chelate, vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), copper HVP chelate, potassium iodide, biotin, vitamin A (palmitate), selenium HVP chelate, calcium D-pantothenate, vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), chromium HVP chelate, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamine hydrochloride), folic acid, vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).

Hardly a unprocessed raw food green smoothie. Not necessarily bad, but its made in a lab not in a kitchen.

Kate

Hi Kate, where did you get that ingredient list?

I'm looking at my container of Vega and apart from the whole foods they list, the only "extras" are xanthan gum, flavour and stevia :shock:

I'm also in Canada and I know that products in the US are often fortified artificially (your cereals have way more "stuff" in it compared to the same cereal we have here). Maybe that's why all the synthetic stuff is shown in that ingredient list?

edit: I'm convinced the list you have provided isn't from Vega. There's no place on their site that lists anything other than whole foods in their product and other websites concur.
HealthyMe2010

Next

Return to The Lounge