Carrot Dogs

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Carrot Dogs

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I recently read where someone used carrots in place of hot dogs. I tried it today - actually made a chili dog (with a can of organic meatless chili), mustard and onions on a WW hot dog bun. I microwaved a medium peeled carrot for 90 seconds. Result? It was pretty good. Like so many other things vegan, it was both similar and different. If I had grown up eating carrot dogs, hot dogs would probably have seemed weird.

I haven't tried one with just ketchup, mustard and onions. Has anyone else tried carrot dogs? What about parsnip dogs? Anything else that anyone has tried in place of a hot dog that is good?
Rob

Re: Carrot Dogs

Postby Tazi752000 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:18 pm

I've eaten vegan hot dogs but never tried carrot dogs. What an interesting idea. I may just have to try it. I bet it would be good with a roasted carrot.
Tazi752000

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Tazi752000 wrote:I've eaten vegan hot dogs but never tried carrot dogs. What an interesting idea. I may just have to try it. I bet it would be good with a roasted carrot.

An good idea - it would be a lot more flavorful. How to keep the crunch though? Sounds like a good use for the toaster oven. My wife says she wants to try it.

Microwaving the carrot gave it a spongy texture. Microwaving's not bad for using a carrot as a 'hot dog' but I have never liked microwaved carrots when serving them any other way. We usually sauté carrots in veggie broth or roast them with other vegetables.
Last edited by Rob on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rob

Brat-Nips

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I wonder how a parsnip would work with sauerkraut to create a Brat-Nip? I could see grilling some parsnips until they were slightly tender and smothering them with sauerkraut and stone ground mustard in bratwurst buns.
Rob

Postby Dechen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

I am thinking that perhaps if you roast the carrots on a high temperature it will get colour but won't have time to fully cook and go soft...maybe worth a try.
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby eaufraiche703 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

hmmm.... just reading through the new Penzey's Spice flier (snow day- not going anywhere!), and wondering how one could use "bratwurst spice" or "sausage spice" on something unsausagey to replicate the flavor in a vegan way....

this carrot dog idea has some real possibilities!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby Dechen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:12 am

http://www.recipezaar.com/Black-Pudding-Vegan-212958

Just try and leave out the Tamarind and add the Bratwurst spice.

Or use it in home made hashbrowns.

Or sprinkle it over a hot salad.
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby afreespirit » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:21 pm

:lol: Such great ideas in this thread! Love the carrot dog idea and going to try it soon! :lol:
afreespirit

Postby bob2200 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 pm

I saw a photo someplace of what looked like a Thai street vendor grilling hot dogs. It turns out he was grilling bananas. Maybe with enough mustard and relish??
bob2200

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Eggplant hotdogs might be a possibility too. Some of the Asian eggplant varieties are slender and long, like a hotdog. The skin is even a little chewy, like a hot dog. The key would be not to get the eggplant overdone, otherwise it would turn to mush in the center. The next time we go to the grocery, I'm going to get some Asian eggplants and try it.

This may be opening up a new type of veggie sandwiches which could be collectively called 'dogplants'. Here's an amazing video about real 'dogplants':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGE8V9F7XY
Rob

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:43 pm

i made seitan steamed sausages the other night with sauerkraut and knipfles which are dumpings (made with flaxseed instead of eggs and white whole wheat flour) and it was sooooooo good. They would be good for hot dogs also.

http://theppk.com/blog/2008/02/26/on-sa ... community/

There is another site that I found that gives all the different spice mixes to make them into whatever you want, I used the polish kielbasa seasonings.
well i didn't save anything more than the first post and don't know where I found the changes but there are a whole list of different spices!
If anyone wants the entire list I can email it. When I made it I found it needs to be grilled a bit first before adding the sauerkraut, etc.

KIELBASA (POLISH)
2 tsp caraway seeds, crushed [tester recommendation: reduce to 1 tsp or even 1/2 tsp caraway seeds]
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp allspice
freshly ground pepper
1 tsp liquid smoke (optional tester recommendation) left that out!

I also have the recipe for the knipfles but I am still experimenting with it since all I have is the white whole wheat flour and tried the flaxseed glop but next time I want to try the egg replacer and see how that comes out! :D
ncyg46

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Vibrant wrote:I think I'll try the carrot hot dog. Wonder how it'd be... partially cook it or cook it all the way and then put it on the grill to finish.

We haven't had the grill fired up yet this season; however, I plan to just cook the carrots entirely on the grill.
Rob

Postby afreespirit » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:53 pm

bob2200 wrote:I saw a photo someplace of what looked like a Thai street vendor grilling hot dogs. It turns out he was grilling bananas. Maybe with enough mustard and relish??

Cooked bananas are delish! I used to fry them but now would have them broiled, or maybe you could "fry" in water. Or even grilled. Slice in half lengthwise and cook til soft and browned, for those who use sugar maybe top with a little sugar...These are a dessert type item, not like a carrot dog! LOL.
afreespirit

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:41 pm

wow, I am so going to try this! I think I'm going to marinate and roast the carrot!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby afreespirit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 am

Healthyvegans, I checked out your blog! It is awesome! Thank you for the wonderful recipes and tips. 8)
afreespirit

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning