I finally broke my Coca Cola addiction!!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

I finally broke my Coca Cola addiction!!

Postby Three Girls » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:20 pm

I have been Cola-free for three weeks tomorrow! Three weeks ago today, as I was gulping down the last can of Coke in the house, I just decided that is it. I have had it. Cola will not control me anymore. I was drinking 5 - 6 cans a day! Along with Coke,

I also decided to give up any caffeinated beverage. Oh . . . the headaches were awful for about a week, but then they went away. I am so glad that I percevered.

A friend of mine had told me that for her it was the carbonation that she wanted, so she suggested mixing a heaping tablespoon of 100% juice concentrate with salt-free seltzer. I am quite happy! I lite the Welch's white grape & peach (or raspberry) mixed with lemon lime seltzer.

Anyway, horray for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mel
Three Girls

Woohoo!

Postby seestorcoo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Congratulations! I am fully aware of the evils of caffeine addiction and I applaud you!
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby SandraK » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Congratulations! You have a right to be proud! :-D
I also had a six-pack a day habit.. and I am surprised that the carbonation in club soda or seltzer water is satisfying to me now. I may occasionally squirt a bit of lime juice in the can, but for the most part I drink it plain. (I was going to ask if that is a problem because I have never seen it mentioned here before.)
SandraK

Sparkling water...

Postby f1jim » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Any low sodium sparkling water is now my drink of choice. I think it's the carbonation that works for me.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Clary » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Congratulations Three Girls! :thumbsup:

I keep a stash of "Sam's Choice" brand Sodium Free Seltzer on hand for when I get the carbonated craving. I can drink it plain, or sometimes I add a little fresh lemon juice.

Ingredients: carbonated water
Sodium content: 0 mg
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby Three Girls » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your posts! I am still concerned that my sugar intake is too high with the juice concentrate. I have been drinking about3 or 4 glasses a day - much better than 6 cans of Coke; nevertheless, I still think I should cut down. I just don't think I can drink the flavored seltzer alone. The flavor is just not intense enough for me. How much sugar is the ideal on a daily basis?
Mel
Three Girls

Way to go!

Postby sigma957 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Congratulations! I gave up all diet drinks and all colas 3 years ago now. I feel much better knowing I'm not putting nasty stuff in my body.

Keep up the good work!
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

Hooray!

Postby SarahJ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Good Going! I used to have a bad chocolate habit. When I gave that up, I noticed that my moods became a lot more even. I became a lot easier to get along with. :D

Sarah
SarahJ

Postby txveggie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Good for you!
txveggie

Congrats!

Postby glook » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Congrats!

I have about 3 cans of Zevia a week.

http://www.zevia.com/
glook
glook

Postby Three Girls » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks, Glook, for the Zevia link.
Mel
Three Girls

Postby dlb » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Mel -

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel wonderful to be free :D.

As for the juice, if you are doing a tablespoon 4 xs a day that would be equal to 2 ounces of juice or 40 calories total for the white grape/peach juice you mentioned.

According to Jeff:

My general recommendation, which is in the talk I give at the McDougall Program is that refined calorie sweeteners should not make up more than 5% of your calories. On a 2000 calorie diet, that is 100 calories. Most of the caloric sweeteners are about 50 calories per TB (Agave is 60), so this equates to about 2 TB per day. Fruit juice concentrate is about 25 calories per TB, so it would be around 4 TB if that is your choice.

What you are using in not a concentrate so it is lower in calories per tablespoon.

You can read the whole thread here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5666

Enjoy!

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby Three Girls » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks, Donna! That is very useful info!
Mel
Three Girls

Re: Way to go!

Postby DWerth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:45 pm

sigma957 wrote:Congratulations! I gave up all diet drinks and all colas 3 years ago now. I feel much better knowing I'm not putting nasty stuff in my body.

Keep up the good work!

When I started on the McD plan on June 8h, I gave up my habit of Caffeine Free Diet 7up and Diet Rite Pure Zero Cola. I would buy them by the two liter bottles and go thru at least the equivalant of one bottle daily. I actually had no problem giving them up either. I figured if I could give up smoking 21 yrs ago cold turkey I could do this to help defeat my diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure. And, like I mentioned on another thread tonite http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12405 I have mostly been drinking ice tap water from the fridge but had a question about lemon juice.
We are all unique -just like everyone else.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzBbihh/]
[/url]
DWerth

Postby LauraA » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:55 am

Congratulations - that is great! I love the fact that I'm no longer addicted to Diet Coke. I still remember the headache, though. Zevea looks good - TOO good. I'm sure that I would be addicted in a day, so I'll stay away. I like sodium free club soda with a splash or Pom juice. It is so good. I have also recently started to make iced Yogi Ginger Tea - it's really good! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Next

Return to The Lounge