Water softener that uses salt - how much are we ingesting?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Water softener that uses salt - how much are we ingesting?

Postby lucyrn99 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 am

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been following a plant-based eating lifestyle for over two years and feeling great!

We recently moved to southern Wisconsin, to a somewhat remote area where our water source for the house is well water.
It was recommended that we install a water softener, so we had this done professionally.
The water softener uses solar salt.

My parents live with us, and my mom is very salt-sensitive.
She is prone to hypertension, therefore avoids all salt.

We've always run the water that we use for drinking and cooking, through an ionizer.
Since we installed the water softener, mom can taste that the water coming out of the ionizer tastes salty.

We contacted the people who installed the water softener and they said that, in order for the softener to do what it needs to do, it has to use the solar salt and some of that salt will inevitably end up in our drinking water.

My question is, does anyone know how much salt a water softener adds to the water running through a typical 4 adult household? I know it depends on the settings on our water softener, but in general.. has anyone had a similar experience?
Would you recommend purchasing a test kit to test the level of salt in our drinking water?
Or is the level negligible, and shouldn't affect her blood pressure?

Since she noticed the salty taste, mom has been buying spring water from the grocery store and not drinking the water coming thru the ionizer. This is a short-term solution, but not one I want her to continue.. I'd much rather have her drinking/cooking with the ionizer water like she used to.

Thank you for any advice, and God Bless You all,
Lucy
lucyrn99

Re: Water softener that uses salt - how much are we ingestin

Postby dynodan62 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:04 pm

3-component reverse osmosis drinking water filter systems can be found nowadays at a very reasonable price, and are easy to install/maintain. Living in a rural area means your well water likely has some fertilizer runoff/etc. contamination. The RO filter will remove the softener salt also. Mine has a separate faucet on the kitchen sink that delivers a gallon of cooking water at one time, and a ‘T’ connection supplies my fridge ice maker/etc. with clean-tasting water on demand.
dynodan62

Return to Health Issues