Shingles, any advice?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Shingles, any advice?

Postby dlee » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:32 pm

My husband and I have been plant based and McDougalling since 2006. Hubby has just had a horrible shingles attack this week.. All down one arm, with a very painful shoulder and shooting pains down the arm and hand on left side, which is covered with itchy sores, blisters etc.....this is horrible! Has anyone been successful at ridding themselves fairly quickly from this. Right now it's driving him mad and sleep is pretty scarce.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice from personal experience, or successful outcomes. thanks in advance. Dlee
dlee

Re: Shingles, any advice?

Postby Plumerias » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:10 pm

I had shingles a number of years ago. It just plain sucked. Your man has our sympathies. When I went to the doctor I was given an anti-viral medication, although neither of us remembers if it was oral or an injection, sorry. That helped some. My case was so severe that I had to have a second dose of said medication. There are a number of older threads on shingles, perhaps you might find some useful information there.

I also had severe peripheral neuropathy, that is to say I have lingering pain sometimes. Many said they get a B-12 shot from their doctor when that happens, but as we were always on the road in the RV, we had no doctor. Instead I have opted to take extra B-12 orally, which does seem to help keep the pain at bay, except when I'm really stressed.

He can't scratch, no matter how bad he itches! When all is said and done, some Vitamin E lotion will help with any potential scarring he might have.

Good luck to you both. After caring for me, my husband promptly found someone to give him the vaccine. We've since both had the updated version.
Plumerias

Re: Shingles, any advice?

Postby dlee » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Thanks so much Plumeria. Glad to hear you survived but sorry you have the lingering pain. I totally agree it sucks big time. I really feel helpless to do anything except keep hubby well fed with good healthy food. He knows not to scratch and has been good about not touching them. When it gets really really bad he applies a frozen pack for a few minutes. That and tylenol and a couple of Benadryl a day. The worst is the stabbing high voltage pains when trying to sleep... we'll just have to tough it out. Appreciate hearing from you.
Dlee.
dlee

Return to Health Issues