Pinched Ulnar Nerve - Anyone Had Surgery For This?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pinched Ulnar Nerve - Anyone Had Surgery For This?

Postby DanTheYogi » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:47 pm

I have been dealing with pain and discomfort in my left arm for nearly 2 years (wrist, hand, forearm, and elbow pain). Doctor and I decided to have a nerve test done. The test showed I have severe compression of my ulnar nerve.

I generally trust this doc - been seeing him for 6 months and he's been very conservative with treatment. However, he said for this he usually recommends surgery. Only caveat is I do not present with typical ulnar nerve entrapment symptoms. I don't have tingling or weakness im my hand. Having said that, I've tried therapy, injections, drugs with no success and am tempted to give surgery a go.

It's supposedly quite low risk, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get some thoughts from the community here. I am generally averse to invasive treatment, but I'm feeling desperate. This certainly hasn't been getting better with time.
DanTheYogi

Re: Pinched Ulnar Nerve - Anyone Had Surgery For This?

Postby viv » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:10 pm

If you follow the McDougall Diet, an anti-inflammatory diet, it's possible that you have escaped the typical symptoms, but are left with pain. If it's a low risk op with a very good chance of recovery, I personally would go for it. Two years of pain seems like a lot. You can eat all the potatoes and green veggies you like, but if a nerve is trapped, that's a mechanical problem. Maybe time to release the nerve!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby DanTheYogi » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:00 pm

viv wrote:If you follow the McDougall Diet, an anti-inflammatory diet, it's possible that you have escaped the typical symptoms, but are left with pain. If it's a low risk op with a very good chance of recovery, I personally would go for it. Two years of pain seems like a lot. You can eat all the potatoes and green veggies you like, but if a nerve is trapped, that's a mechanical problem. Maybe time to release the nerve!

Viv

Thanks Viv. Appreciate your thoughts. I decided to have the surgery scheduled. I'll give an update post-op
DanTheYogi

Postby viv » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:54 pm

Good luck with the surgery Dan. It will be a relief to have it all over and done with!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to Health Issues