Extremely low cholesterol

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Extremely low cholesterol

Postby Mung Bean » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:15 am

Hi,

I have extremely low cholesterol, total is 85. This bothers me so much, I fear that this has severe negative effects on my health. I mean look what happened to Nathan Pritikin. Should I try to raise my cholesterol and what would be the healthiest way to do so?
Mung Bean

Re: Extremely low cholesterol

Postby PJK » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:52 am

This doesn't answer your question, but Nathan Pritikin had leukemia. That's not caused by low cholesterol.
PJK

Postby Spiral » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:58 am

Low cholesterol as a result of a healthy diet is good. If there is some other health condition that is driving ones cholesterol lower, that would be a concern.
Spiral

Postby Mung Bean » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:50 am

Well my HDL cholesterol was just 27. As I understand your body makes testosterone and all the hormones from HDL. My testosterone is at the bottom of the range too. I think I have to try to include olive oil into my diet, I know I know, please don't shoot me. I don't tolerate any raw nuts, I don't know why. This seems to be the only choice I have in my opinion.
Mung Bean

Postby Mung Bean » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:58 am

PJK wrote:This doesn't answer your question, but Nathan Pritikin had leukemia. That's not caused by low cholesterol.

I have read that having low cholesterol makes you susceptible to aggressive cancers and lowers your tolerance to all irritants, like Wi-Fi and pollens etc.
Mung Bean

Postby PJK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Where did you read this? Was the source reputable and evidence-based ?

I ask because one can read all kinds of stuff. "I saw it on the Internet," a friend says, as if that means it's true. It doesn't.
PJK

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi Mung Bean, and welcome to the Discussion Board!

Have you always had low cholesterol? Do others in your family have low cholesterol? Do you follow The McDougall Plan strictly...for how long?

You can't tolerate raw nuts, but what about dry roasted nuts and nut butters? What about tahini in hummus or dressings? Avocados? Olives? Personally I would try whole plant foods that are rich in fats before I would ever consider oils. Can you consume seeds?
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:56 am

Before you start pouring fats into your body:

Are you otherwise healthy? Any underlying medical conditions?

Are you at a good weight?

Are you taking any medications or supplements, prescribed or over the counter? Any"protein shake" stuff from a health food store or gym?

What does your diet look like *now*? Maybe post everything you eat and drink for the next few days.

Are you getting enough exercise?

What does your doctor think of your cholesterol numbers? How are your current numbers now compared to past years' numbers? If this is the first test with very low numbers, it could all be a lab error and you should get the tests repeated.

Remember that if you're not eating things with LDL cholesterol in them your body doesn't need a lot of HDL to remove the LDL. If your LDL numbers are low, a low HDL is to be expected.
VeggieSue

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:07 pm

VeggieSue wrote:Before you start pouring fats into your body:

Are you otherwise healthy? Any underlying medical conditions?

Are you at a good weight?

Are you taking any medications or supplements, prescribed or over the counter? Any"protein shake" stuff from a health food store or gym?

What does your diet look like *now*? Maybe post everything you eat and drink for the next few days.

Are you getting enough exercise?

What does your doctor think of your cholesterol numbers? How are your current numbers now compared to past years' numbers? If this is the first test with very low numbers, it could all be a lab error and you should get the tests repeated.

Remember that if you're not eating things with LDL cholesterol in them your body doesn't need a lot of HDL to remove the LDL. If your LDL numbers are low, a low HDL is to be expected.

Awesome advice, VeggieSue!! :nod:
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby LuckyToBeAlive » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 pm

My cholesterol numbers from my most recent test (April 2020):

Total cholesterol: 80
LDL: 25
HDL:41

This test may have been an anomaly as my numbers normally run about 100-40-40.

If any science exists that concludes that these numbers are "too low," neither my GP or my internist know about it. I'd appreciate anyone who's run across such studies posting a link please.

thanks
LuckyToBeAlive

Return to Health Issues