MWL-aware physician consult

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL-aware physician consult

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:33 pm

I would like to book a phone or video consult with a doctor who understands how McDougalling, especially MWL, would affect my recommended medication doses. My hope is to taper off meds or go down to a minimum, but I think my doctors, who are awesome, may be a little conventional for the situation. Any recommendations?
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Re: MWL-aware physician consult

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:06 pm

This may help you: https://www.drmcdougall.com/connections ... -provider/

Since you like your doctors and already seem to have a good rapport with them, I would bring in a copy of one of Dr. McDougall's books or print off an article or two from his website so that they can see that Dr. McDougall is a real doctor with real results who has been successfully been using this way of eating (WOE) for many decades.

This will be a good time to see just how friendly and willing to work with you your doctors are when you present them with what you are doing. But yes, by all means do this under their care as you don't want to have a problem from taking too much medicine as your body heals itself/gets healthier.

Best wishes to you!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:23 pm

P.S. I know that Dr. McDougall and his team are working on some sort of telehealth offering for the future, but you need care now. Especially at the beginning of changing ones eating, #'s usually drop pretty fast.

Also, even if you were to get a consultation, they may not at this point be able to legally advise you if they are not licensed in your state.

My elderly McDougalling relative was in need of a primary doctor after requiring emergency surgery as a result of an accident. We have been pleasantly surprised that not only has his PCP, but other new doctors have, been very welcoming of his WOE.

As Dr. McDougall said in the above linked article, it is far more important to have a doctor who is willing to work with you and respects your wishes. People like this have good character and will partner with you, even if at first they are skeptical, you will amaze them with your results as you continue to adhere to The McDougall Plan long-term. :)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:55 pm

vegyluvver wrote:I would like to book a phone or video consult with a doctor who understands how McDougalling, especially MWL, would affect my recommended medication doses. My hope is to taper off meds or go down to a minimum, but I think my doctors, who are awesome, may be a little conventional for the situation. Any recommendations?

For several decades, virtually all those who were adopting this type of diet, did so while staying in touch with their regular doctor. This is also true for many of the studies done on the program.

The two most important things to watch are blood sugar and blood pressure and you can let your current doctor know that you are modifying your lifestyle and are concerned about this.

Here is an article Dr McDougall wrote on the topic...

https://www.drmcdougall.com/connections ... -provider/

Here is one I wrote with Dr Esselstyn
http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/plant-based-doctor/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby vegyluvver » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Thank you, Jeff.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Return to Health Issues