High Cholesterol on WFPB diet

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: High Cholesterol on WFPB diet

Postby [email protected] » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Thank you so much, Michael. That makes sense. I’m new at this and am still learning. I am eager to regain my health and continue in this WFPB journey and I was expecting to see the same results I saw on the documentaries and other testimonials, so I was shaken to see the complete opposite on my lipid profile. I will soldier on, make adjustments, and learn all I can!
[email protected]

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Total Cholesterol = HDL + LDL + (20%) Triglyceride
So 52 + 213 + 40 = 305

Often I hear cholesterol drops reported for HDL and LDL independently. I understand that doctors and cardiologists use the individual measures and not the total formula for treatment decisions. Devil in the details.

Since your last total cholesterol was 203, your LDL must be have increased as well.

Watch fat from any source. (Well, not the normal low fat from fruits and vegetables.) Not that naturally occurring plant fats are bad, but just to maximize the results and the good news. When you reach your sustainable healthy weight and goals, then you have forever to make adjustments.

I can validate that coffee also increases cholesterol. Mine went up after starting again. My solution now is hot fresh ginger tea in the mornings.
michaelswarm

Postby Barbpassman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 pm

I am following as, like these other posters, I am someone who has been carefully following a WFPB (Forks over knives ) diet for a year now. Cholesterol numbers are lower than when I still ate animal foods and did not worry about oils etc
But my levels have not gone down. below 200 which is what is recommended.
Trying to put together what I am gleaning here
- eating even tiny bits of nuts (as in vegan oil free cheese, home made) or small amounts of Avocado will damn success as may some other things (such as coffee or caffeinated tea
-cholesterol levels may or will rise during early months of going WFPB as cholesterol is flushed out of the body
- yet even.when eliminating all, and after the expected flushing is done, some of us will still have to take Statins because of familial Hypercholesterolemia or because of effects of other medications needed to treat other medical problems
-But statins are bad

Is this an accurate terse summary of the responses given to folks who have posted here?

Has Dr. McDougal or his staff looked at the concept I am considering of taking a very very low dose of a hydrophilic statin, taking a dose QOD or three times weekly, in addition to the WFWB way of living, to possibly" kick start a lowering of my cholesterol?
Would that be a relatively safe compromise between medications and diet?
Barbpassman

Postby [email protected] » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:07 am

Barbpassman: I am the original poster. As an update, I had my lipids done in September and my total cholesterol was 149, HDL 45, triglycerides 138, LDL 80. I had stopped all oil, nuts, tahini, seeds, avocados, coffee, and limited my fruits (in case the fructose was affecting my triglycerides). I was also taking 10mg of Crestor, although not every day. Since getting those results, I have added back fruit and now have blueberries every day, an apple most days and some citrus. I eat a few walnuts a few times a week and 4 brazil nuts once a month based on a study which showed them to reduce cholesterol as well as statin drugs. I recommend you google that and see what you think. I reduced my Crestor to 5 mg daily. I am walking or biking an hour every day in an effort to raise my HDL. I am drinking hibiscus tea and adding amla powder to my oats. I am anxious to see what my next labs will show in April. I am still befuddled by the drastic increase in my levels after going plant based. I was losing quite a bit of weight at the time and have seen some things that say that can cause a temporary elevation of circulating lipids. I am very strict with my diet, no cheating or deviations. Low fat, no oil, lots of starches and veggies and absolutely no animal products. I would love to be able to get off the statin in April if my results are as good as or better than the labs I referenced above. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps you some.
[email protected]

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Have you heard of the Vegan Zombie on YouTube? He had to go strict with the fats to get results.

Also, that Brazil nut study is bunk. Only had 8 participants. Jeff has written many times about the selenium concerns of Brazil nuts. I’d recommend a hard pass on that one.

Another Jeff saying: time and adherence. Most often people have not given the program enough time, or fully understood the recommendations, to get the results they want. The recommendation to post a three day journal of your meals is probably the best course of action. We have some real veterans of the program that would love to help you find the tweaks to help you be successful.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby KillSwitch » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm

[email protected] wrote:I have been WFPB for 4 months. I had lipid panel done yesterday and my results are shocking. My total cholesterol is 303, triglycerides 204, LDL 213, HDL 52. My last cholesterol was 203. I have never had high triglycerides, but have always struggled with elevated LDL and low HDL. Never this bad. I am shocked and distraught. I have been vigilant about this diet and am doing zero processed foods or added oils. I suspect I have familial hyperlipidemia, but why would it be worse on a WFPB diet??
Is it possible my liver senses no fat and is trying to manufacture extra cholesterol? I don't know what to do. I have an appointment with my internist Monday, but she will just refer me to the cardiologist. I'm not sure they will know the answers, either. I am so discouraged. I watched all the documentaries and read about all these people dropping cholesterol and was certain I would, too. But it has had the opposite effect. How is this possible???
Please help me figure this out!

Hmmmmm, weird! So, were things (lipids) a little better before you began this WOE? I see why you are confused. This makes no sense.
KillSwitch

Postby Rotterdam » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 pm

I thought cholesterol was only in animal products - how can nuts and seeds increase cholesterol levels? Or am I on the wrong page (not unusual!)
Rotterdam

Postby Drew_ab » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Rotterdam wrote:I thought cholesterol was only in animal products - how can nuts and seeds increase cholesterol levels? Or am I on the wrong page (not unusual!)

For some people that does appear to be the case, though I'm not sure it holds true for everyone. I recently had a lipid panel and have a total cholesterol of 117 and eat nuts/seeds with virtually every meal.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61522

See the thread above for more details. The way to know for sure is to adhere to it for an extended period (say, 3 months) and get tested.
Drew_ab

Postby JeffN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Rotterdam wrote:I thought cholesterol was only in animal products - how can nuts and seeds increase cholesterol levels? Or am I on the wrong page (not unusual!)

This is mostly true. There is a very minute amount in plants.

However, saturated fat is in nuts and seeds and is higher in a few of them (ie, coconut, Brazil). You can see this in any nutrition analysis program.

Dietary saturated fat raises serum cholesterol more then dietary cholesterol does.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Health Issues