Confusion with Anti-inflammatory Diet

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Confusion with Anti-inflammatory Diet

Postby Syeera » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:20 am

I have followed an on-again, off-again plant-based diet for the last 10 years. I recently started seeing a FNP who specialized in functional medicine (I have been experiencing lots of lower body pain) and found out my LDL cholesterol is at 190 (no familial connection) and my hs-CRP is a 3.4, not a good combination. The FNP believes it's all gut-related and put me on several suppliments and an anti-inflammatory diet. I firmly believe in Dr. McDougall's philosophy and eating plan, even though I struggle to stick with it as much as I should. I am an emotional/stress eater and that derails me into meat-dairy-sugar-land more often than I want to admit, but 2 months ago I got back to being more plant-based. I was very surprised when I reviewed the anti-inflammatory diet my FNP sent me to see daily meals using meat, although it does recommend organic and grass-fed. One lunch is deli turkey dipped in mustard! I am so confused. I thought meat was inflammatory to the body? And of course the diet also limits carbs and grains, which I thought helped fight inflammation. This goes against everything I previously believed and now I'm not sure what to believe. Help? :?
Syeera

Re: Confusion with Anti-inflammatory Diet

Postby PJK » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:56 pm

You're mixing two diets, and they contradict each other. That would confuse anyone.

You can either follow the anti-inflammation diet from your caregiver. Or you can follow the McD diet.

Does not sound like doing both is possible.
PJK

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:57 am

Here on the website of Dr. John McDougall we follow the McDougall food plans. Dr. McDougall allows no meat and no supplements other than Vitamin B12.

Please read the Quick Start Guide at the top of the page and read the How to Begin forum on the message boards.

Use the main search engine (Notice there are 2 - one just for the message board and one for the main site that searches for writing of Dr. McDougall) to find information on how Dr. McDougall treats inflammatory diseases and his elimination diet.

As was pointed out to you, you're trying to follow 2 contradictory food plans choose one. Just remember that the McDougall plan will improve your health, while the other one will harm it. It's up to you.
VeggieSue

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:23 am

I don’t mean this to sound harsh, but you aren’t following the recommendations, and therefore aren’t getting the results. There was recently a thread about this diet and cheating that might be helpful to look over.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60557&hilit=Cheating&start=15#p616663
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Syeera » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 am

Although I appreciate the responses, I think the question I was asking got missed or misconstrued. I was simply asking why meat, which I understand to be inflammatory, is part of a medically-recommended anti-inflammatory diet. I am NOT following it as suggested by my primary care.
Syeera

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:42 am

I would say ignore the FNP dietary advice. There is no proof that meat is anti inflammatory. Lots of medical professionals are wrong when it comes to dietary advice as they have no or very little training in nutrition.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Return to Health Issues