Hyperthyroidism

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hyperthyroidism

Postby ceci » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Hello,

Has Dr McDougall published any articles relating to hyperthyroidism? I found an article on hypothyroidism but not hyperthyroidism.

My TSH has been below reference range for a number of years, T3 and T4 always within reference range. Thyroid autoantibodies normal. A recent scan (how I regret to have had this scan...) revealed that I have a 6mm (1/4") nodule of some kind. The endocrinologist recommended a fine needle biopsy, saying that 25% of these nodules turn out to be different stages (3?) of cancer and that it would be best to have the thyroid removed! I have very vague hyperthyroid 'symptoms' and some are weird. I don't tolerate the cold at all, I am thriving in hot weather, don't sweat excessively, am not fatigued, no hair loss. I do have osteoporosis and the figures are pretty bad. I am 71, pretty active and, despite a number of falls when hiking, have never fractured a bone.

My blood pressure was high. Having said that, he sat me on a bench, put the cuff on over the pullover, arm dangling at my side and he kept discussing my condition and chatting with me. The cuff pumped up till it was painful (haha, he remarked) and the reading was 170/90!!! Oh dear.

He also wants to put me on some kind of half yearly injections to treat osteoporosis in order to prevent fractures.

The removal of an organ is a big issue for me which I am not taking lightly. There are no cancers at all in my family. The endocrinologist said thyroid cancer is very common and is on the increase. I wonder whether, 'thanks' to better screening machines more 'cancers' that will never become malignant are being found. Though, how does a layperson know? How do I know whether or not a thyroid removal is really warranted?

I have been on plant based eating for close to 20 years and am not overweight. Plant-based eating hasn't done anything to my blood pressure, but I like it and certainly will continue with it.

Now, after my whinge, all I really would like to know whether Dr McDougall has published a paper. Thank you.

The figures:
TSH 0.26 mIU/L
Free T4 13.9 pmol/L
Free T3 4.7 pmol/L
Thyroiglobulin Ab 1.8 IU/,L
Thyroid Peroxidase 0.6 IU/mL
ceci

Re: Hyperthyroidism

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:14 pm

Sorry, I don’t have any info regarding the thyroid, but you might want to look at Dr. McDougall’s writings regarding osteoporosis before trying to treat anything. Also, get a blood pressure monitor and check it at home. That will give you a better picture of what that looks like.

Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Hyperthyroidism

Postby ceci » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:20 pm

Thank you for your kind reply, Lyndzie!

I found the article on osteoporosis and printed it out.
ceci

Return to Health Issues