Constipation x 25 years

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Constipation x 25 years

Postby erinkiel » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:20 am

I am 38 and have been a WFPB vegan for about 10 years. I have never been overweight, have always exercised intensely 5-7 days/week, and have never had any health issues....other than constipation. I don't smoke, I drink water, exercise, eat roughage...all the things they tell you to do for constipation. My longest without making a movement is 21 days. I have tried MagOx (which was successful for 6 mos), Linzess, colonics (which provide relief), squatty potty, Metamucil, Miralax, Renew Life Cleanse More, and have contemplated a colon resection many, many times. I have been seen by GI and primary care, and no answers or solutions have ever been given. This problem truly affects my quality of life and, I believe, my poor skin & hair quality are manifestations of this issue as well. Is there something I am missing? I just don't understand why I continue to have this problem if I am "doing everything right". I appreciate any information or advise. Thank you.
erinkiel

Re: Constipation x 25 years

Postby Daydream » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:02 am

That must be incredibly difficult to live with and yes, it sounds like you are doing everything right. I would not have a colon resection because I fear that could cause problems far worse than what you live with already. I have a tendency towards constipation even though I eat a ton of whole/unprocessed plant foods every day following the MWL program. Just some ideas that have helped me although you have probably tried these already... It helps me if I drink at least 10 cups of water a day (even if I'm not thirsty). If I don't drink the extra water daily, I have constipation problems. If things are really bad, I'll have 1 cup or more of prune juice daily. I make sure to chew all my food well, chewing each bite until it is liquid before I swallow. I know this isn't McDougall recommended but if my constipation is severe, I will go on a brief juice cleanse for 1 to 3 days to give my bowels a rest. During a juice cleanse I'll have either green juices (such as Suja Uber Greens), 100% carrot juice, and a tiny bit of fresh fruit juice. I only drink about 12 ounces of juice, 4 or 6 times a day plus 10 cups of water. Another idea: have a phone consultation with one of the plant based medical doctors. I hope you find a solution and if you do, please share it with us.
Daydream

Postby debknott » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:47 am

I have suffered with constipation for all of my life. The last numerous years I have eaten a big bowl of oatmeal every day, usually for lunch. That has helped tremendously! Just this year I have had some constipation recur, and knowing how bad it can get I started taking special aloe vera capsules that I used to take regularly, and they work very well. It's a particular brand - nothing else works for me except these. It's called Next to Nature, and below the name it says "maintain bowel regularity". I used to have to order them from the company, but now Amazon carries them, so you can get them much faster.

Whatever you try I wish you success! :) I know how bad it can be.
debknott

Postby erinkiel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 am

Thank you for the advice. I am going to try a juice cleanse, likely for the 3 days following my upcoming colonic. Additionally, I will vigilantly monitor my water intake. I also ordered the aloe vera pills. Fingers crossed! Thanks again!
erinkiel

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:00 am

erinkiel wrote:I am 38 and have been a WFPB vegan for about 10 years. I have never been overweight, have always exercised intensely 5-7 days/week, and have never had any health issues....other than constipation. I don't smoke, I drink water, exercise, eat roughage...all the things they tell you to do for constipation. My longest without making a movement is 21 days. I have tried MagOx (which was successful for 6 mos), Linzess, colonics (which provide relief), squatty potty, Metamucil, Miralax, Renew Life Cleanse More, and have contemplated a colon resection many, many times. I have been seen by GI and primary care, and no answers or solutions have ever been given. This problem truly affects my quality of life and, I believe, my poor skin & hair quality are manifestations of this issue as well. Is there something I am missing? I just don't understand why I continue to have this problem if I am "doing everything right". I appreciate any information or advise. Thank you.

Hi erinkiel,

I'm in pretty much in the same situation you are. On top of what you described, I have also been diagnosed with Crohn's, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Uveitis and probably have some other autoimmune diseases. If I use means to stop the constipation (like colonics, water only fasting, etc), those autoimmune flares stop; so I feel everything is linked to the constipation problem somehow. The only thing that has worked is recently I was on steroids for about 9 months, but stopped them due to the long term side effect concerns. I have tried all the things you have listed above with the same outcome as you. And, the more fiber I eat the worse it gets. Juice cleanses have never worked for me; everything will just stay where it is.

As you said, this problem really does affect my quality of life, including poor skin and hair, sleep, mood, energy, etc. I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for us, but I'll let you know if I find something that does work and please do the same.

Best wishes,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby shell-belle » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 am

"Swiss Kriss" herbal capsules from Amazon or health food store.
shell-belle

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 am

shell-belle wrote:"Swiss Kriss" herbal capsules from Amazon or health food store.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to try these. :)

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby shell-belle » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 pm

Ltldogg wrote:
shell-belle wrote:"Swiss Kriss" herbal capsules from Amazon or health food store.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to try these. :)

~Scott

You are welcome. I can't recall if you wrote you were eating any fermented foods. What about kombucha or raw sauerkraut?

I love this doctor- he's double board certified doctor
who just wrote a book called "Fiber Fueled".

15 years ago he lost 50 pounds and got rid of all his ailments
by going plant based.

His book is a plant-based gut health program for losing weight, restoring health, and optimizing your microbiome.

I am thin and do not need to lose weight but I want to have the best guy microbiome as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5l67pu0pwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2tqYlTAa7s

https://theplantfedgut.com/blog/

The diversity of plants in the diet is key to a healthy microbiome, as Dr. B said in the interview. You will love his book, Fiber Fueled!

A 100% whole food plant based diet is ideal because fiber, which fuels the microbiome, is only found in the diversity of the plant kingdom. That said, since it's all about the diversity of plants in your diet, you can go at your own pace to add more varieties of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds to any way of eating and be healthier.
shell-belle

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:46 pm

shell-belle wrote:You are welcome. I can't recall if you wrote you were eating any fermented foods. What about kombucha or raw sauerkraut?

I love this doctor- he's double board certified doctor
who just wrote a book called "Fiber Fueled"...

I have tried fermented foods, thoroughly, and it does not work and in fact makes my situation worse.

I have also read and thoroughly vetted Fiber Fueled along with the doctor who wrote it, Will Bulsiewicz and I can say with certainty that this guy is a snake oil salesman. His website is a sales pitch. You have to request for, and provide personal information as well as sign up for his email list, just to get the citations for his book. His claims are not backed up scientifically and instead he cherry picks from studies and makes unsupported conclusions (a la Greger).

In the download you can get if you go through the rigor of requesting the science behind his book, he tries to explain to the reader about what makes a good study and in so doing invalidates his own book by violating those very standards. And as someone else much smarter than me pointed out, he uses a tactic of just dumping data/documents and forcing the user to read through a ton of information. Instead, he should be explaining each of his citations individually and why they are relevant and how they make his case. He doesn't do any of that. And just like Greger, he cherry-picks one little thing from a study without looking at the whole of the study or the conclusions of the study by the authors, which often contradict the conclusions that Greger and Bulsiewicz are making. For example, his claim of needing at least 30+ plants a week for bacteria diversity is completely unsubstantiated.

No, don't fall for this "doctor of the day". He also pushes supplements like Fuhrman and is partnered with Genuine Health, a supplement seller.

Fiber Fueled and Dr. Bulsiewicz go against many of the teachings of McDougall and Novick and should not be followed. Save your money.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Daydream » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:12 pm

Many decades ago, I tried Swiss Kriss. It does work but caused me to have a lot of painful cramping so be careful with it if you try it. Traditional Medicinals "Smooth Move tea" (Senna tea) also works but be careful with it. Hmmm, it just now occurred to me that I could brew a cup of Smooth Move tea and experiment taking a couple of Tablespoons to find the right amount that works well without causing an explosion or cramping. I swear, it's one big experiment with our bodies, finding out what works! I'm also going to try the "Next to Nature" aloe vera supplement that debknott recommended.

Scott, thanks for the review of Fiber Fueled. I'm taking that book off my wish list!
Daydream

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Daydream wrote:Many decades ago, I tried Swiss Kriss. It does work but caused me to have a lot of painful cramping so be careful with it if you try it. Traditional Medicinals "Smooth Move tea" (Senna tea) also works but be careful with it. Hmmm, it just now occurred to me that I could brew a cup of Smooth Move tea and experiment taking a couple of Tablespoons to find the right amount that works well without causing an explosion or cramping. I swear, it's one big experiment with our bodies, finding out what works! I'm also going to try the "Next to Nature" aloe vera supplement that debknott recommended.

Scott, thanks for the review of Fiber Fueled. I'm taking that book off my wish list!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm always careful and have lots of experience with laxatives and enemas. I'll report back here in the future and let you know my experience. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the Next To Nature and Smooth Move.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Daydream » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Scott, I was just at Amazon and read the contraindications on the Smooth Move tea and it says to not use it if you have Crohn's disease so you might want to check with your doctor first before you try it. That same contraindication might apply to Swiss Kriss since it also has Senna in it (as Tiffany Hobson pointed out above).
Daydream

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Daydream wrote:Scott, I was just at Amazon and read the contraindications on the Smooth Move tea and it says to not use it if you have Crohn's disease so you might want to check with your doctor first before you try it. That same contraindication might apply to Swiss Kriss since it also has Senna in it (as Tiffany Hobson pointed out above).

Thank you Daydream for looking out for me :)

My GI has already given me approval. He knows I use such products sensibly and agrees with laxative and enema use for constipation relief.
Ltldogg

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 am

erinkiel, I'm so sorry to read of your problem. We were at our wits end when our elderly McDougalling relative became stricken with a disability which completely altered his independent, active, hard-working lifestyle to a very sedentary one.

This is what we have found to work for him. I cannot guarantee similar results.
He now averages one bowel movement every other day. Besides following the McDougall Plan and drinking water throughout the day, he includes about 2 tablespoons of chia seeds in his daily morning oatmeal (1+1/2 cups dry before adding water) along with fruit in the oatmeal.

He has 2, sometimes 3, 12 ounce cans of carbonated water each day--lately just plain water (not containing natural flavor and never includes sugar or artificial sweeteners).
Every evening he has about 6 dried prunes that we cover with water and microwave for a couple of minutes to help reconstitute them a little. He consumes the water, too. We usually get Trader Joe's brand with the green label that doesn't contain any sorbates.

Best wishes to you, and welcome to the Discussion Board!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:50 am

Ltldogg wrote:Thank you Daydream for looking out for me :)

My GI has already given me approval. He knows I use such products sensibly and agrees with laxative and enema use for constipation relief.

Correction, I checked with my GI yesterday and he said no to any Senna laxative as it can cause nerve damage in the colon with long term use. He wants me to instead take 500 mg of Magnesium Glycinate before bed each night to ask as a natural stool softener.

He also said ingesting Aloe is bad, which I already knew. Look up studies on ingesting Aloe; it's very dangerous.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Next

Return to Health Issues