Heat intolerance

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Heat intolerance

Postby goal140 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve had this issue all of my adult life. Are any of you, like me, in that you get overheated very easily? I usually walk in the mornings. This morning it was 67 degrees at the time of my walk. At the end of my 3 miles, I was drenched. How am I going to be able to walk when the temps in the mornings are in the upper 70’s and low 80’s? I do my best walking when the temp is around 55 degrees. Why does the heat affect me like it does? I am very susceptible to heat exhaustion. I can’t tell how hot I am until I have stopped my activity, and then it hits me. Any advice?
goal140

Re: Heat intolerance

Postby Daydream » Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm

I don't have that problem but I can understand how uncomfortable it could be for someone who overheats easily. Maybe try a cooling neck wrap or cooling towel? I'd do a google search to find the one that works best. Also, it might be helpful to carry an ice cold water bottle so you can sip as you walk. There are straps that hold a water bottle so you can carry it across your shoulder while you walk.
Daydream

Postby michaelswarm » Sun May 17, 2020 4:42 pm

I second the wet towel or other method to supplement your body natural cooling. I don’t have a heat tolerance issue, but I walk in the mid afternoon (at least I used to before lockdowns) to bring my kids home from school. This is down in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. Temperature in 80s-90s with humidity. I would take my shirt, often a heavy one, and soak and wring with cold water, before I put it on. Like portable air conditioning. It would be dry by the time I got home.
michaelswarm

Postby goal140 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Thank you Daydream and michaelswarm. I will look into a cooling neck wrap, and carry along some water. I won’t have to worry about overheating this week as it it is supposed to train all week, so I won’t be walking!
goal140

Postby shell-belle » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Yes a cooling "magic towel"is what I have + a fan/spray bottle combo I bought at WalMart. I do try to get out at 6:45 am or even
6:30am when the weather forecast is for 90 degrees or higher.
shell-belle

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:36 am

I agree about the magic cooling towel thing and also staying hydrated--that is so very important; you don't want to pass out!!

I have noticed over the years that the healthier I eat--the more compliant McDougall Plan I am--the easier it is for me to tolerate heat. That being said, I still am not a fan of the heat and do better in cooler temperatures. I think some of it may be genetic and where our ancestors are from.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:48 am

I have tried different cooling towels over the years, some definitely are better than others. Most all need to be remoistened kind of frequently.

Bought these last year and was very impressed:
https://www.amazon.com/WIWISI-Cooling-I ... B07ST4G5ST

Unfortunately it looks like they are currently unavailable. But there probably are ones very similar available. These particular ones we found helpful because of the 2 layers, one being vented
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to Health Issues