increased insulin/c-peptide

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

increased insulin/c-peptide

Postby human vegetable » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:04 am

I had some routine blood work done, and my blood sugar turned out very low at 41 mg/dl. The normal range starts at 60 mg/dl. My physician suggested to take some hormonal parameters to research further, and I agreed.

Now the results are in: both insulin and c-peptide are increased. She just mailed me the results before starting her well-deserved christmas break, therefore I will only get the chance to talk with her about the results next year.

Dr. Google says this could be due to pre-diabetes or metabolic syndrome. I'm quite fit and athletic, also my BMI is in the normal range at 23. Therefore, this seems unlikely to me. Another cause could be an insulinome, a tumor of the pankreas.

Is there anything about a low-fat plant-based way of eating that could cause increased insulin? If I remember correctly, I had a very large breakfast consisting of mostly beans (almost two pounds, cooked) prior to the blood being drawn.

Thanks for any feedback!
human vegetable

Return to Health Issues