anyone else have a diagnosis of Essential Tremor ?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

anyone else have a diagnosis of Essential Tremor ?

Postby KatherineUK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:59 am

Just curious. Mine started age 15 though only diagnosed 2 years ago.

I feel it has got very slightly worse and now feel small tremors in my head in certain positions.

I can't say this WOE has made it better however when I was on blood pressure tablets it was noticeably stronger.
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: anyone else have a diagnosis of Essential Tremor ?

Postby VeganDisciple » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:28 pm

I hadn't heard of it before but McDougall wrote about it actually. He says the realistic goal is to stop progression, but not reverse. In case you haven't read it already, here you go! Best wishes to you, -Andy

"Essential Tremors from Meat-Eating
Essential tremor (ET), a type of involuntary shaking with no known cause, is among the most prevalent
neurological diseases, affecting 4.0% of individuals aged 40 years and older, and 6.3% of individuals 60
years and older. The tremor is most commonly in the hands, but may affect the head, eyelids, vocal
cords, and any other muscles. Harmane is a potent, tremor-producing beta-carboline alkaloid found in
high concentrations in muscle foods (beef, chicken and pork); cooking of these meats leads to further
increases in concentrations.27 Thus the amount of harmane in cooked meat is a function of cooking
temperature and time. Pan-frying and grill/barbequing produce the highest concentrations. Elevated
harmane in the blood is also due in part to a hereditarily reduced capacity to metabolize it into inactive
substances.27 You should not expect the brain tissues that have been lost to grow back; nor lost functions to return. Slowing or stopping progression of the tremors is your realistic goal.
Medications, such as beta-blockers (propranolol), tranquilizers (clonazepam) and antiseizure drugs
(primidone), are recommended for treatment, but are of little benefit with significant side effects."

27) Louis ED, Zheng W. Beta-carboline alkaloids and essential tremor: exploring the environmental determinants of one of the most prevalent neurological diseases. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010 Sep
1;10:1783-94.
DISCLAIMER*****I'm not a doctor, just an admirer of Dr. McDougall's writings. My intentions are only to point people to the evidence so that you can have the confidence to push for the service you deserve from your doctor.-Andy
http://bit.ly/AndyTestimony
VeganDisciple

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:24 pm

VeganDisciple wrote:I hadn't heard of it before but McDougall wrote about it actually. He says the realistic goal is to stop progression, but not reverse. In case you haven't read it already, here you go! Best wishes to you, -Andy

"Essential Tremors from Meat-Eating
Essential tremor (ET), a type of involuntary shaking with no known cause, is among the most prevalent
neurological diseases, affecting 4.0% of individuals aged 40 years and older, and 6.3% of individuals 60
years and older. The tremor is most commonly in the hands, but may affect the head, eyelids, vocal
cords, and any other muscles. Harmane is a potent, tremor-producing beta-carboline alkaloid found in
high concentrations in muscle foods (beef, chicken and pork); cooking of these meats leads to further
increases in concentrations.27 Thus the amount of harmane in cooked meat is a function of cooking
temperature and time. Pan-frying and grill/barbequing produce the highest concentrations. Elevated
harmane in the blood is also due in part to a hereditarily reduced capacity to metabolize it into inactive
substances.27 You should not expect the brain tissues that have been lost to grow back; nor lost functions to return. Slowing or stopping progression of the tremors is your realistic goal.
Medications, such as beta-blockers (propranolol), tranquilizers (clonazepam) and antiseizure drugs
(primidone), are recommended for treatment, but are of little benefit with significant side effects."

27) Louis ED, Zheng W. Beta-carboline alkaloids and essential tremor: exploring the environmental determinants of one of the most prevalent neurological diseases. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010 Sep
1;10:1783-94.

Hi Vegan Disciple,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post on this topic. It's much appreciated. Can you point me to the source please? Book or website is fine.

Kind regards
Katherine
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:26 pm

I presume McDougall is quoting Zheng and not the other way round.

KatherineUK

Postby VeganDisciple » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:25 pm

You would be correct :D Yeah no problem at all. It is found here:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/nov/101100.pdf

The section is about 1/3 of the way down the page.
-Andy
DISCLAIMER*****I'm not a doctor, just an admirer of Dr. McDougall's writings. My intentions are only to point people to the evidence so that you can have the confidence to push for the service you deserve from your doctor.-Andy
http://bit.ly/AndyTestimony
VeganDisciple

Postby KatherineUK » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 am

VeganDisciple wrote:You would be correct :D Yeah no problem at all. It is found here:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/nov/101100.pdf

The section is about 1/3 of the way down the page.
-Andy

Thank you :-)

KatherineUK

Postby graciella » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 am

I have an Essential Tremor (ET) diagnosis. Like you, I've had it since childhood. My father had it, as do my siblings. I have been 100% vegetarian and 80% vegan for 35 years, and I switched to the McDougall protocol three years ago. I have all good things to say about this new lifestyle, but honestly, I haven't seen a detectable difference in ET. My doctor has given me beta blockers to use when I feel it's important to pause the tremors (e.g. public speaking, important meetings). She said it can help prevent my voice from trembling or stop an overall perception of nervousness. I haven't taken it yet, but I'm glad to know it's there. If you have tips on how to live with ET, I'm all ears!
graciella

Postby AnnaS » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:44 pm

My husband has Essential Tremor, has been McDougalling going on 18 years. Definitely in his family. It gets very slightly worse over time (age 65). He has the propanolol but only uses it occasionally for a major presentation, for example. He finds that a half-tablet works exactly the same as a full tablet--takes about 30 mins to kick in and lasts just long enough to present in public. It's mostly his hands shaking that's the problem.

Certain foods supposedly trigger it, but these aren't things he eats. Strong cheeses, for example. Coffee is likely bad for it and he occasionally does drink coffee.

The most obvious factor that makes it flare is stress. When he takes the time to really de-stress, like doing stretching exercises (Egoscue, static back) or meditate, there's immediate improvement. I would really like to get him doing more of this as I'll bet it would help a lot. He's very busy though...hard to get him to un-focus. My theory is that the whole nervous system is agitated somehow.

There's a new paradigm in treatment for nervous system disorders, which is about brain plasticity--rewiring the brain away from established patterns. It works for fibro, CFS, quite a few other conditions so I am wondering if it could help the tremor. However this type of work takes a lot of time and dedication. I doubt if I can get him to do this, but he is at least thinking about it, LOL!
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:35 pm

I have things in common with the two posts above. I take 1/2 a tablet of Propanolol on very rare occasions and find it is much worse when stressed (having to tell my bank what I think of the type of organisation they work for when they refuse payment on my season ticket even when the money is in the account being a prime example!)

Coffee DEFINITELY makes me worse.

My tip for social situations is to explain it to people. I couldn't explain it to people (myself included) until about 3-4 years ago because I didn't know myself what it was. My Mum had it and her brother does. Nowadays I can almost make it sound cool ... (well almost) ... (as importantly) it also removes all the stress of the situation so I find that greatly diminishes the tremor.

... calls across cafe ... "yeah decaf please I have a neurological condition ... I'll explain later ..."

in a pre-date email ... "by the way if you are curious please ask me about why my hands have a visible tremor. It's a neurological condition I was probably born with. I love talking about it now I know what it is. Please don't feel you can't comment"

in a group for dinner ... "excuse me eating with a spoon and fork (they wouldn't have brought it up but you have to for your peace of mind) I find it easier with this neurological condition I have. My mission in life now is to spread the word. Did you know Julia Fellowes has it and (if in the UK) an actor from Corrie (a TV soap)?"

whenever possible I do a demo with something heavy with my worse hand ...

These days I tend to take every opportunity to be a human sandwich board for the condition. I've never done anything that benefited other people massively (though I consider Librarianship a "caring profession", at least the way I try to practice it) so even the shamefully small amount of voluntary work I do with the (UK) National Tremor Foundation makes me feel better about myself. When I go to the awareness days we hold round the country and meet someone who says this is amazing it's the first time in my life I've met anyone else with this condition it makes me want to cry.

That's all for now folks

Much love - stay well

Katherine
x

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:36 am

Just updating on this post. ..

(My tremor is one of the many reasons I'm so determined to stick with this WOE as it seems likely to reduce the chance of me having to take drugs for conditions such as diabetes, high BP etc. I'm involved with the UK National Tremor Foundation and come across a lot of people who say their medicines make the condition worse. Sadly it's not for me to go steamrollering into those situations waving the Starch Solution but if I have to give a little presentation about myself I always include the fact that my BP drugs made the tremor worse which motivated me to lifestyle changes. I have to leave them to draw their own conclusions after that).

Anyway ...

The point was just to mention that Deep Brain Stimulation treatment is not the only medical intervention for those who don't respond to drugs. Focussed Ultrasound is now available to private patients in the UK and we are involved in a campaign to have this made available on our National Health Service.

Stay safe

Kx

KatherineUK

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:43 pm

Hi KatherineUK, my SO has an essential tremor, and I'm interested in all the treatments that have been discussed here, his doc basically said there wasn't a fix. So far, the only thing that has become difficult for him is with his side business, it is harder for him to wind electric guitar pickups, the wire is very thin and his shake can sometimes break the wire while he is winding them. It would be nice if there was a cure for the tremors.
ch47gunnergirl

Postby tootlingaroundMT » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:02 pm

I was diagnosis with ET in early 30s; I'm now 62. Essential Tremors are caused from a mutant gene that one inherits from a parent that has this gene. 50% chance of inheriting this mutant gene from parent. In my case my father had ET; and so, not only did I inherit this wonderful mutant gene but so did my siblings (3). ET runs in families. My father in his early 80s started taking meds to try to help the tremors; he noticed that didn't help. Staying away from coffee, alcohol, and stress are the only things that have help me keep the tremors quiet. I have been following a plant-based diet for 3 years with no charges to my ET. I have learned to live with my tremors.
tootlingaroundMT

Return to Health Issues