Possible gastroparesis? poor appetite and high A1C

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Possible gastroparesis? poor appetite and high A1C

Postby Rocket » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Evening.

For the past few years, my doctor (who uses a WFPB approach) and I have been trying to solve what we thought was a stubborn case of insulin resistance that keeps recurring (started out 5.9, but then came down and has bounced between 5.6 and 5.7 for 2 years). My weight has been stable and healthy the whole time, my glucose has been normal. It is also worth noting that nothing I eat makes any difference in the numbers - I've been eating WFPB for years. A little more sugar or less sugar, more fat or less fat, being very careful or not as careful just doesn't seem to matter.

A few weeks ago, I was doing some reading and discovered that loss of appetite, which happens to me any time my A1C goes up, is actually not associated with insulin resistance at all - in fact, it's the opposite. Normally with insulin resistance, you have a greatly increased appetite! Not so with me. My doctor and I are now wondering if I might have idiopathic gastroparesis. I am looking into getting tested for this, but it's going to be several weeks before I can do it, plus need to find a GI doctor who won't see "vegetarian" and freak out - you know how that goes.

Meanwhile I am proceeding, as best I can, as if I do have gastroparesis, but I don't really know what to do for it. Has anyone ever dealt with it? Any ideas how to structure your eating so you are able to eat a decent amount of healthy food with this condition?

(BTW, it may be worth noting this all started 4 years ago when my best friend died - literally my A1C shot up within 6 weeks of his death. Stress has always been very hard on my body.)

Thanks for any ideas,
Rocket
Rocket

Re: Possible gastroparesis? poor appetite and high A1C

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 am

Hi Rocket,

Welcome to the forums and The McDougall Program. Here is the path to health:

1. Learn The McDougall Program
2. Apply The McDougall Program
3. Be consistent for the rest of your life

It really is that easy.

You said in your post that you have been WFPB for years, but you did not say what you eat. The details matter. So, if you want help from the experienced forum members, please list in detail what you eat. We can then point out how/if you are not complaint with The McDougall Program so you can make changes. Additionally, you can learn The McDougall Program on your own. Here are some great sources:

1. Go to the HOW TO BEGIN subforum and read through Jeff Novick's stickied threads in number order: viewforum.php?f=14
2. Read through McDougall's Color Picture Book: https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/dr-mcdo ... nglish.pdf
3. Read The Starch Solution: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shop ... -solution/
4. Watch this free lecture on The Starch Solution: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -solution/

Once you are following The McDougall Program for 30-60 days you can see what, if any, health issues still persist ;)

We look forward to reading more from you!

Best Health,
Scott
Ltldogg

Return to Health Issues