Amino Acids (Best Aminos Powder for Before or After Work Out

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Amino Acids (Best Aminos Powder for Before or After Work Out

Postby CassiHelt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:30 am

Hello!

I was completely enthralled with the Forks Over Knives Documentary and my wife and I decided to switch over to a Plant Based Whole Foods way of eating.

I used to take shakes of "Best Aminos" after a work out to help muslce recovery. But I was wondering if I would lack that now that Im not eating animal products? Might be a stupid question. Or another question is, is that just as bad for my health to drink those shakes?

I realize muscle recovery will happen at a quicker pace on a vegan based diet, and that I wouldnt need it. But I just wanted to hear your opinion.

We usually drink the protien shake named "Olly" its plant based with Pea Protien.

I saw your post on Beyond Meat products and I am quiet sad about those. But I'll move past it. Haha, we didnt do our research on those really either.
CassiHelt

Re: Amino Acids (Best Aminos Powder for Before or After Work

Postby VeganDisciple » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:59 am

Hi there,
Congratulations on your transition! I know you will be well-rewarded the closer you can possibly adhere to this lifestyle. The bad food is a true addiction and not easy at times but it definitely gets so much easier, the longer one practices it. Good luck to you!
-Andy

Notes: According to the studies McDougall has referenced, any kind of protein overload is damaging, and he writes in a different article about overload of soy protein being even more damaging than milk protein here:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... 0pusoy.htm

But the following quotes were taken from this article:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/protein.htm

"The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that men and women obtain 5% of their calories as protein. This would mean 38 grams of protein for a man burning 3000 calories a day and 29 grams for a woman using 2300 calories a day. This quantity of protein is impossible to avoid when daily calorie needs are met by unrefined starches and vegetables. For example, rice alone would provide 71 grams of highly useable protein and white potatoes would provide 64 grams of protein."

"Excess Protein Causes Diseases of Over-nutrition

Unlike fat, protein cannot be stored. When it is consumed in excess of our needs, protein is broken down mostly by the liver, and partly by the kidneys and muscles. Consumption in excess of our needs overworks the liver and kidneys, and can cause accumulation of toxic protein byproducts.

Proteins are made of amino acids, and are, therefore, acidic by nature. Animal proteins are abundant in sulfur-containing amino acids which break down into very powerful sulfuric acid. These kinds of amino acids are abundant in hard cheese, red meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs, and their acids must be neutralized by buffers found in the bones. The bones dissolve to release the buffering materials; eventually resulting in a condition of weakened bones, known as osteoporosis. Released bone materials often settle and coalesce in the kidney system, causing kidney stones. Fruits and vegetables are largely alkaline, preserving bone health and preventing kidney stones.13 (A more detailed discussion of the health consequences from excess protein is found in my January 2004 newsletter article: Protein Overload.)"
DISCLAIMER*****I'm not a doctor, just an admirer of Dr. McDougall's writings. My intentions are only to point people to the evidence so that you can have the confidence to push for the service you deserve from your doctor.-Andy
http://bit.ly/AndyTestimony
VeganDisciple

Return to Health Issues