Mixed results

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mixed results

Postby nfsus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:55 am

42 yo white Male

May 29th my blood work showed
A1c 10.1 with insulin 50 units a day
BP 125/85 with 20mg lisinopril and 12.5 Hertz
Total cholesterol 162
Triglycerides 460
Weight 225.5

Started diet june 8th. With a fasting sugar of 245. Dropped meat eggs dairy oil bread. With the exception of non dairy coffee creamer that yes, contains some oil and caseinate among a few other things. Otherwise it's been oatmeal rice beans taters so on. Was eating.planter peanuts without oil but stopped those. Man those are addictive. Subtract creamer and its 100% compliance. I take b12.

November 5th results were a mixed bag of surprises.
A1c 5.9 no meds since june.
BP 128/85 no meds since june
Total cholosterol 160
Triglycerides 462
Weight 195
Fasting sugar 98 today

To be open and clear I have been diagnosed with the following issues.
Fibromyalgia. No meds
T2 diabetes. No meds
High blood pressure. No meds
Hypothyroidism. Sodium iodine
Obesity.
Low t - 333/59. No meds
Low vit d. D2 vit supplement.

So.the results were great till I hit cholosterol. They didn't calculate ldl because they said the triglycerides were so high. I didn't understand that reasoning but ok I'll go with it for now. The dr was very impressed with everything until the cholosterol was still unchanged. Almost.identical. so who has a good idea what caused this? Weight loss stopped when I upped my calories a month ago. I would've thought that the weight loss caused hypolipid would've been cleared by now. I'm at a loss
nfsus

Re: Mixed results

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Your bloodwork looks great. You have obesity listed with a weight of 195. Is that in pounds? What is your current BMI?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Your bloodwork looks great.

I agree; big improvements! :-D But what about his triglycerides? I'm especially interested after my older male relative's recent bloodwork results that I plan to post, but hope to do when I can access the Internet on a full size computer rather than my small smart phone. For now, his went from 167 to 170. Puzzles me that they're that high and I have some thoughts and questions.... Sorry, didn't mean to barge in on nfsus' post, but am concerned about his triglycerides, too.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby nfsus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 pm

No you're not barging. Theres some studies and reports of cholosterol going nuts while you're loosing weight. Genetics so on. However I would have thought that with weight being stable for a month would've handled the weight loss issue. My skeptic dr was surprised with everything and just as surprised at the triglycerides. Maybe it was too many peanuts. Maybe the creamer. Maybe the sky was cloudy. I cant say. I have a friend who saw good improvements in his numbers eating processed plants and we both were shocked mine wasn't changed since I've not done processed veggies.
nfsus

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Here is the Dr McDougall links regarding cholesterol and triglycerides: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... lycerides/
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 am

nfsus wrote:No you're not barging. Theres some studies and reports of cholosterol going nuts while you're loosing weight. Genetics so on. However I would have thought that with weight being stable for a month would've handled the weight loss issue. My skeptic dr was surprised with everything and just as surprised at the triglycerides. Maybe it was too many peanuts. Maybe the creamer. Maybe the sky was cloudy. I cant say. I have a friend who saw good improvements in his numbers eating processed plants and we both were shocked mine wasn't changed since I've not done processed veggies.

Thank you for not thinking of me barging in bringing up my relative. :) Yes, while someone is newer to this way of eating (WOE), numbers can be goofy. Add your weight loss, and I believe that can be yet another factor for goofiness of numbers. So, hopefully with continued adherence, things will settle down. As Lyndzie already mentioned, you've had great success already!!

Have you thought about switching to a vegan creamer? I know that a lot of them still have added fat (including "lecithin"), but that would skip the caseinate. Or you could just try soymilk. It's pretty thick straight.

Something I've recently read and we're trying with my relative is to only eat what he really needs. It's possible that even though he's eating compliant and is at a great weight for him, if he's eating a little more than he needs, that could be contributing to his elevated triglycerides, and maybe yours. Of course, as you said, maybe it's because the sky was cloudy. ;-)

Keep up the great work and continued success should follow! :thumbsup: By the way, how much fruit do you eat?
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:24 am

Lyndzie wrote:Here is the Dr McDougall links regarding cholesterol and triglycerides: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... lycerides/

Thank you for the link, Lyndzie, and for all your help, as always! :nod: I had read a couple of these articles previously, but this link has all the topics and success stories all in one place--awesome; a great time saver! Thank you, again!
Mom+Me

Postby nfsus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Dr office must use a stupid lab. I called back. My total cholesterol has dropped 3 point to 160. My hdl went from less than 15 to 25. Triglicerides did go from 375 to 425. Both the tests from may and last week said it couldn't calculate the ldl. Well what does that mean? She said it was because the triglycerides were too high. The should still be able to show it unless it's all done with a formula instead of actually testing them. So I used one online. That was easy.

May29 fasting

Total 169
Hdl 15
Ldl 79.8
Triglicerides 371

Nov4 forgot to fast

Total 160
Hdl 25
Ldl 49.2
Triglycerides 429
nfsus

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Your triglycerides may be high because you are currently losing fat. For example, when healthy people fast (for multiple days) and get bloodwork done, if their doctors are not informed about this practice they often get concerned over the elevation in triglycerides.

The reality is that their bodies are mobilizing fat and pouring it into the bloodstream to burn for fuel. As your weight loss continues and your fat stores eventually level out I would expect that your triglycerides come done quite a bit, probably dramatically in fact. I personally have some of the lowest triglycerides I've ever seen stated on this (and other health forums) and wonder if I have a genetic mutation that predisposes me to it. I've had bloodwork that said my trigs were 'less than 30' which was the lowest detectable amount that could be measured using the lab equipment available. Many people in my family have lived well into their 90's despite terrible diets and lifestyles and I've wondered if this has been the reason why. Anyways... I digress...

In some hyper-sensitive people, fruit (dried fruit in particular) can elevate triglycerides. Drinking alcohol can also do the same, but by the sounds of your post, this seems like something you wouldn't be doing. Additionally, in some people having processed grains (even oil-free organic whole wheat bread, whole wheat single ingredient pasta, etc.), can elevate triglycerides. The preference is thus for intact starches like legumes, corn, sweet potato, potato, oats, brown rice, quinoa, etc. - basically anything that has zero processing.

There may be some threads in this section: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7828 that are of interest to you. In particular, there are 3 on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7828
Drew_ab

Postby viv » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Not sure what Hypothyroidism. Sodium iodine means. Do you have low thryoid and are being treated with sodium iodine?
An underactive thyroid can cause high cholesterol and in your case may be a factor in your high tryclicirides. What are your TSH numbers?
I have had Hashimotos Thyroiditis for the last 30 years and I take Levothyroxine daily. I feel my best when my TSH is between 0.5 and 2.5.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby nfsus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:09 am

I'm afraid I've not had my thyroid check in some time. I tried levo for about a year and it didnt regulate nothing. The dr didnt want to try armor. So I started treating it with iodine. Within a month it picked up and was rock solid for the next 3 months. So I stopped asking to have it tested. My dr thinks I've lost my mind anyway. Yeah fixing it myself instead of a pill? Crazy. I use the dr for bloodwork now is about it. Dont get me wrong drs and pills are needed, but not like they are now days.
nfsus

Return to Health Issues