Type II dietary recommendations

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Type II dietary recommendations

Postby westernwilson » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:30 pm

We have watched Forks Over Knives and have decided to move our diet more toward the vegan, as per its advice. However, one of us is a Type II diabetic.

Many of the recipes call for foods that we have been told Type II's should not eat: potatoes, rice, cooked sweet potatoes. Many of the dessert recipes are sweet, often using maple syrup.

Could an informed person/dietician offer advice on how to transition my Type II safely toward a vegan/vegetarian diet?

Many thanks!
westernwilson

Re: Type II dietary recommendations

Postby openmind » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Watch Dr McDs videos ion diabetes onYouTube. You have been misinformed and these videos will provide the clarity you seek.
openmind

Postby westernwilson » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:16 pm

openmind wrote:Watch Dr McDs videos ion diabetes onYouTube. You have been misinformed and these videos will provide the clarity you seek.

Is there one that gives specific dietary advice? I watched two but he was just talking about how Type II can be cured by diet and weight loss...no specifics on how to go about that.

With all due respect, I have no desire to wade through hours of this to find the specifics. There are a gobsmacking number of videos: the site would benefit from a set of simple instructional playlists.

Regards,
Janet
westernwilson

Postby openmind » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:28 am

westernwilson wrote:
openmind wrote:Watch Dr McDs videos ion diabetes onYouTube. You have been misinformed and these videos will provide the clarity you seek.

Is there one that gives specific dietary advice? I watched two but he was just talking about how Type II can be cured by diet and weight loss...no specifics on how to go about that.

With all due respect, I have no desire to wade through hours of this to find the specifics. There are a gobsmacking number of videos: the site would benefit from a set of simple instructional playlists.

Regards,
Janet

The advice for type 2 diabetics is the same for anyone else. A starch based diet with the addition of fruits and vegetables. No oil, no meat or dairy, and very limited nuts and avocado. Also, avoid fake meats like store bought Veggie burgers.

In the short term, this may cause blood sugars to spike. In the medium and long term, blood sugars gradually come down and the diabetes eventually reverses in most patients.

Potatoes are only dangerous if you top them with bacon and sour cream or eat them in the form of French fries or potato chips.
openmind

Postby jamietwo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Here's a link from the "education" section of the McDougall website. It will answer your questions (as did openmind).

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -juvenile/

Good luck!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 pm

The essence is simple. Eat whole starches, vegetables and fruits. Avoid animal and junk products.
Applying this pattern to your culture and tastes and situation is going to vary from person to person.
I’ve been adapting recipes for my family for the last ten years, and I am still learning.

There is a forum titled “How to Begin”
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14
It includes links to Starch Solution video, Color Picture Book, and other helpful resources to get started.

McDougall Common Health Problems
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/common-health-problems/diabetes-adult-onset-and-juvenile/
Has general recommendations specific to diabetes.

McDougall Hot Topics
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/medical-topics/diabetes/
An index of links to articles specific to diabetes. Some of these explain in detail the reasons behind different diet recommendations.
michaelswarm

Return to Health Issues