positive cologuard test

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: positive cologuard test

Postby openmind » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:28 am

sue27 wrote:To further this discussion,

Does anyone know if Dr. McDougall delineates between people who have had screenings where something comes up and those who have not, prior to starting a plant-based diet? My collagenous colitis is an example, or what if someone had mammograms that showed something and was being monitored for that? Does he recommend foregoing further screening once you start a plant-based diet?

Sue

My understanding is that Dr McDougall is against cancer screening of healthy people. I think the calculus changes once there is good reason to suspect a patient may have a particular disease.

I don’t think he’s against colonoscopies or mammograms per se, just their misuse/overuse.
openmind

Postby sue27 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi All,

Just checking in to tell you what I did. I went ahead with the Colonoscopy. Given my history, it would have been imprudent of me not to after having a positive result with the Cologuard. Everything came back fine and I no longer have any signs of Collagenous Colitis, which if anyone knows of it, it is a brutal debilitating disease.

To everyone's health!

Sue
Last edited by sue27 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
sue27

Postby JeffN » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm

sue27 wrote:I am also of the mindset that vegan eating is the healthiest, but there are still problems that it is not healing. For me, it isn't digging deep enough.

I also think that a lot of people have had mammograms and colonoscopies that showed trouble areas and I'm hard pressed to stop those screenings, even if you are eating 100% vegan. There are so many other things that can invite trouble. I started eating vegan after having many screenings that showed problem areas and it's not so black and white as to what to do.

It is very important to understand that a vegan diet does not always equate to a healthy diet and most often doesn’t. While we do not recommend the consumption of animal products, we also do not recommend the consumption of unhealthy vegan food. Most of the packaged vegan food being sold today in grocery stores and most of the vegan food being served at (vegan) restaurants, would not meet our criteria of healthy.

In the past few years, many of the participants who come to the 10-Day Program have been vegan for some time, yet are unhealthy, They are overweight/obese, have heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, auto-immune issues, etc. Once they adopt a healthy diet without animal products, they are able to get well.

Your original post makes it clear you weren’t following our recommendations. Nor did you post here or contact any of us about why you were not reaching your health concerns. There is nothing inherent in celery juice that heals, it is a misunderstanding oh how the human body & healing works.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby debknott » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 am

Sue,

What does celery have that makes it so special at fighting diseases? Or do you think is it helping you with some nutritional deficit that you had? Or should all of us just eat some more celery? I guess I don't understand.
debknott

Postby JeffN » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:39 am

This is in response to the comments promoting Anthony Williams, his recommendations include the promotion of celery juice and the celery juice diet. Some of these comments were accidentally deleted when trying to quote them late last night on my phone. My apologies to Sue.

Here is what I could retrieve

It has to be juiced celery. Here are some links:

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/10-h ... lery-juice

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/celery-juice-101

I can't speak highly enough how this increased my health dramatically. My bowels are even better. My blood pressure was good with SOS Vegan eating, but it fluctuated. Now it never does. I was able to trace the origins of my SEVERE Collagenous Colitis to shingles, and celery juice expunges long standing shingles.

I love SOS Vegan eating, but I needed more. Without the celery juicing, I kept getting skin rashes and nail fungus. I thought the Vegan eating was trying to heal it, but it was stuck. With the juicing, I can see the problems fading away. It really has been a game changer for me.

Anthony William, Medical Medium is not a licensed medical doctor, chiropractor, osteopathic physician, naturopathic doctor, nutritionist, pharmacist, psychologist, psychotherapist, or other formally licensed healthcare professional, practitioner or provider.

The Antithesis of Science-Based Medicine: The Medical Medium’s Fantasy-Based Health Advice
August 1, 2017

Anthony William, the Medical Medium, hears voices that give him advanced scientific information from the spirit world. He offers reams of health advice based on nothing but fantasy. He even tells readers to call on 12 angels out loud by their name. I call bull.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-an ... th-advice/

His advice is not science-based, evidence-based, or reality-based; it is fantasy-based. He does emphasize eating more fruits and vegetables, which is a good thing – which is why doctors recommend it. He may get a few things right by chance, but it’s impossible to tease out those few things from the masses of chaff that engulf them; and much of what he says is demonstrably wrong.

Either Anthony William is a deliberate charlatan cynically making stuff up for profit, or he is a self-deluded believer who interprets his inner voices as real communications from the spirit world and is reinforced by cold reading and confirmation bias. Either way, it would be foolish to rely on him for health advice.

We agree! Time to get back to evidence-based health.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 am

JeffN wrote:This is in response to the comments promoting Anthony Williams, his recommendations include the promotion of celery juice and the celery juice diet. Some of these comments were accidentally deleted when trying to quote them late last night on my phone. My apologies to Sue.

Here is what I could retrieve

It has to be juiced celery. Here are some links:

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/10-h ... lery-juice

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/celery-juice-101

I can't speak highly enough how this increased my health dramatically. My bowels are even better. My blood pressure was good with SOS Vegan eating, but it fluctuated. Now it never does. I was able to trace the origins of my SEVERE Collagenous Colitis to shingles, and celery juice expunges long standing shingles.

I love SOS Vegan eating, but I needed more. Without the celery juicing, I kept getting skin rashes and nail fungus. I thought the Vegan eating was trying to heal it, but it was stuck. With the juicing, I can see the problems fading away. It really has been a game changer for me.

Anthony William, Medical Medium is not a licensed medical doctor, chiropractor, osteopathic physician, naturopathic doctor, nutritionist, pharmacist, psychologist, psychotherapist, or other formally licensed healthcare professional, practitioner or provider.

The Antithesis of Science-Based Medicine: The Medical Medium’s Fantasy-Based Health Advice
August 1, 2017

Anthony William, the Medical Medium, hears voices that give him advanced scientific information from the spirit world. He offers reams of health advice based on nothing but fantasy. He even tells readers to call on 12 angels out loud by their name. I call bull.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-an ... th-advice/

His advice is not science-based, evidence-based, or reality-based; it is fantasy-based. He does emphasize eating more fruits and vegetables, which is a good thing – which is why doctors recommend it. He may get a few things right by chance, but it’s impossible to tease out those few things from the masses of chaff that engulf them; and much of what he says is demonstrably wrong.

Either Anthony William is a deliberate charlatan cynically making stuff up for profit, or he is a self-deluded believer who interprets his inner voices as real communications from the spirit world and is reinforced by cold reading and confirmation bias. Either way, it would be foolish to rely on him for health advice.

We agree! Time to get back to evidence-based health.

In Health
Jeff

Thank you for being a voice of reason! Very well spoken.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby openmind » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:20 am

At one time in my life I fell down the rabbit hole of believing some pretty far out stuff. It all came from listening to that show where I first learned of Dr. McDougall, Coast To Coast A.M. with George Noory.

What I learned is that even intelligent, educated people can easily be suckered into the proposition that there is a 'magic bullet' that is going to give us health, wealth, love, eternal life, etc. We want to believe these things, so many of us are easily convinced.

Jeff's posts have really helped me to understand the important of evidence. And I am now pretty much skeptical of any claim that sounds too good to be true: superfoods, celery juice, Ayurvedic, apple cider, faith healing etc.
openmind

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:13 am

Openmind, you bring up a good point. As Doug Lisle has mentioned, being open to new experiences is a big portion of how we are willing to cast aside the lifestyle choices that the vast majority of our family and friends are doing. Jeff’s post about The Importance of Evidence helps us evaluate whether a claim has merit and is worth pursuing.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JeffN » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 am

Lyndzie wrote:Openmind, you bring up a good point. As Doug Lisle has mentioned, being open to new experiences is a big portion of how we are willing to cast aside the lifestyle choices that the vast majority of our family and friends are doing. Jeff’s post about The Importance of Evidence helps us evaluate whether a claim has merit and is worth pursuing.

Yes. You have to be open enough to be willing to try this but not so open minded that you then go on and keep trying every little minutia promoted to you, especially if you haven't fully implemented this.

Instead, take that openness and along with your new healthy life, use it do all the things you really enjoy and love to do but may have been limited in doing do to health issues.

As my colleague Jay Kenney, always said, "You need to be open-minded, but not so open minded your brain falls out."

:)
JeffN

Previous

Return to Health Issues