nightshade vegetables and hoshimoto's

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

nightshade vegetables and hoshimoto's

Postby jisenb01 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and want to ask about any studies regarding the cause and effect relationship with eating tomatoes, potatoes and other nightshade vegetables and Hoshimotos hypothyroidism. I was following a diet by Dr. Amy Myers who is a functional medicine MD. Her book called
The Autoimmune Solution eliminated all dairy and nightshade vegetables but included grass fed meat and organic chicken and Fish. she was big on plant oils and coconut milk as a substitute for daily. Is there science to back up her claims about the nightshades?. In most cases she found that her patients dropped to a TSH level that was optimal 1.0-2.0. I followed this for 1 year and my TSH did drop from 3.2 to 2.1. I take the same dose of Armour Thyroid. I thought i was doing good. Lost some weight but only 10 lbs. I'm not obese only 131 lbs at 5 feet 3. Had a physical and my LDL was slightly high.
I realize that now its the animal fat. I have started the WFPB diet 4 weeks ago but I'm wondering if the nightshades are ok at this point.
Thanks.
jisenb01

Return to Health Issues