Loss of Strength due to RA

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Loss of Strength due to RA

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:12 am

Dealt with extreme RA for three+ years before finding this way of eating. During that time lost a lot of strength in my hands and knees. Lost the ability to navigate steps or stairs with any ease. Had to stop visiting my best friend as I could not manage the long flight of stairs to her apartment. Just walking on a treadmill with various speeds and elevations did not seem to help restore the strength in my thighs and knees after this WOE eliminated the RA pain. Finally purchased a stationary exercise bike with tension settings. Have worked my way up to setting 5 out of 8 and have regained a lot of strength in my knees and thighs. Has made a noticeable difference in now navigating steps and flights of stairs. Usually ride 15-20 miles a day divided up into 3 or 4 20-minute intervals of about 5 miles distance.

Now I want to work on my hands. Does anyone know if the strength balls or other devices they have at the sporting goods stores will help in this area? Don't want to waste money on them if they will not work.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bkworm

Return to Health Issues