Hypothyrodism

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hypothyrodism

Postby Bkworm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Have taken med for hypothyrodism since 1991. The type of meds and doseage has never changed in that time. Since starting this WOE six years ago, my yearly results have consistently improved.

Saw my PCP yesterday for the first time in a year. Must see her to get new prescription for the meds. Was told that blood work should be performed twice a year to monitor thyroid issues. Never been told this and always had yearly blood work. What I found online indicates that doctors monitor levels very closely when a patient is first diagnosed but after that a yearly test will suffice unless new symptoms Occur.

For those of you taking meds fort hypothyrodism, how often do you have blood work to monitor your thyroid levels?

Personally, I think this is a new procedure put in place for the hospital conglomerate who now owns the practice to insist that patients come in more than once a year. Had some other questions about other things that occurred yesterday, too, but will address those later.
Bkworm

Re: Hypothyrodism

Postby pundit999 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 pm

at least twice a year for me.
pundit999

Re: Hypothyrodism

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:40 am

Usually one year. The only time it was ever done more frequent was at the beginning of treatment in 2004, then again in 2010 when we tried a trial of Armour natural thyroid for a few months instead of Synthroid, to see if that helped my symptoms better (It didn't, so back to Synthroid). I've been on the same dose to hold my TSH at 2-3 since then (2010).
VeggieSue

Return to Health Issues