How to raise BP?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to raise BP?

Postby mountain » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:15 am

I know this sounds really strange but my daughter has a very low BP. She is 34, great physical shape (horse back riding and gym). The other day she send me a pic of her BP, taken at the Gym right during exercises. Systolic 102, diastolic 62 and pulse 102.
Sometimes her BP goes down to 90 and then she loses her hearing.
She has been to several doctors and no answer to why and no recommendation on what to do besides taking in salt.

Anyone here have any ideas to what could be the reason for such low BP and what to do about it.

When I was her age my BP was very low too, couldn't get out of bed fast or I would get dizzy.
mountain

Re: How to raise BP?

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am

Step one would be a medical work up to rule out a number of medical "issues". My ex-wife had BP like that and lower to the point she would scare nurses taking it during routine exam. She had no findable medial reason for it and by adding a little salt to her diet, brought her BP up enough to where it did not bother her.

But first, get full medical exam to clear that part...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Salt. I have low blood pressure (usually around 90/58), too, and am 36. It’s only a problem if it causes symptoms like you describe. If I cook without salt, sprinkling on top of my food is enough. I use condiments with salt in it, such as mustard and salsa. A simple and affordable solution.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby viv » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:34 pm

I have low blood pressure. It could be inherited but I also have Hashimoto's low thyroid, which is a cause also I have venous insufficiency where blood pools in the veins in the legs. Support hose helps.

But it sounds like to me it is just naturally occuring and she is very healthy. If she ever has a baby don't get an epidural, it will lower her blood pressure even more and may become a medical emergency for mother and baby (happened to me.)
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby mountain » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 am

Hello and thanks everyone for answering, helps to know there are others with the same problem.
Viv, thanks for the info re pregnancy.....my daughter does never want to a child...never has since she was able to babysit :eek:
mountain

Return to Health Issues